• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bing Type 53 Carb ? for R60/5

kentuvman

I've got my R60/5 back together and after installing new throttle cables & disassembling the carbs & cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner, I've got some adjusting / balancing questions.

This bike has points.

I rode a few miles & warmed her up good.

A friend sent me a spoke and cap to short out one cylinder. The mixture & idle screws adjusted well on the right or starboard carb . The left/port carb not so - turning in the mixture screw all the way in or out doesn't change anything - the idle starts to change a little when I've got it almost in all the way. Just to be clear, the smaller screw adjusts the mixture & large screw, the idle.

Engine is running on both cylinders and I dropped the fuel bowls and from what I know, everything looks good.

Any ideas what's happening on the left side carb? Something seems wrong.

Planning to remove carb to check for any clogging in jets & air passages - not much to a Type 53 carb. I'm thinking there may be some debris from the old O ring that fits on the idle jet - one of the jets IIRC didn't come out with the old O ring on it - will use some compressed air too.

If you are going to take the carb off, be sure to pull the main jet stack and dis-assemble it completely. There is an accelerator pump inside there with tiny passages that clog easily. The needle position is also critical for these carbs to function properly.

Thanks James - I believe the needle is the set at the third notch down from the top - I believe that's what I read.

If you are going to take the carb off, be sure to pull the main jet stack and dis-assemble it completely.

And/or, maybe you squished the "o-ring" on the idle jet (inside the carburetor) when you installed it (?) I did this on my /5, not the same carb obviously, but the symptoms were the same.

Lew - you're right on again!

I removed the Idle jet this morning and don't know how, but the new O ring is broken.

I've got an order in for some parts with Hans Lowe so am adding to the list.

What could have caused this to break? I believe I was gentle turning in the screw but obviously not quite so apparent by picture.

What could have caused this to break? I believe I was gentle turning in the screw but obviously not quite so apparent by picture.

I would put a small amount of silicone on the o-ring before you reassemble it. It probably snagged on something on the way in.

I was thinking of grease...I have a small tube of something silicone...I always use a dab on any o-rings that I run across.

Back