• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Ideas for a would-be rider w no L hand

I think you may be underestimating the ability of this brave young lady. Unlike those who have lost a limb, she has had to do EVERYTHING with one hand her ENTIRE life. Rather than having to relearn how to do everything like someone who has lost a limb, she does everything they way she learned it initially in her childhood.

I wouldn't underestimate her at all. When I was in college I worked summers at Kennedy cleaning planes...the inside. One of our guys was born without most of his right hand. Believe me...he wasn't cut any slack...and didn't want any. He could do any of the tasks the rest of us did and keep up just fine.

He also played guitar in a band. He was able to jam a pick in...somewhere...and play. I also saw him tape a couple to his right whatever and he could playsome pretty cool stuff with two or three picks. Was he the best player I have ever seen...no...but they were a better than average bar band and he had fun playing! (No, he didn't quit his day job;)

New bmw650

I just took a test ride the new 650 scooter BMW has out and its a WOW!!! May work with some missing hand mods, via prosthetics? This new scooter has a ton of power to ride ANY highway at ease. Both hand levers are brake levers only, no shifting. I was impressed by the bikes ability to get r done in the HP department, FAST. Handled beautiful and I would find it in the touring class of bikes quite easy. This is NOT a drive around town/local bike only, as it has much more capable means to go anywhere:). I was NOT impressed with its gas mileage, thought to be better in my mind, but its a very fine, powerful scooter that can keep up the pace of its much larger brethren. Randy

The c650gt mileage gets better with break in. Mine took about 2K miles to really settle in. I get about 55 mpg running at 70 - 80 mph

While not a believer in too much guvmint and a sucker for feel good stories, I'd think it ought to be made pretty legally tough for this person to even get a motorcycle operator license. This group of people, obviously. MSF being so cash-strapped, I'd think it difficult for them to come up with reasonable criteria, which if they did ought to be "lobbied" to various governments. Or whoever else with scientific knowledge (and funded) and not just a bunch of us forum guys with opinions and anecdotes.

Seriously?!?! You DO realize this IS the 21st century... right?
Why on earth you think the "guvmint" should more deeply regulate ANY one segment of the population more heavily than any other segment is absolutely beyond comprehension...
No matter how you attempt to justify, qualify, or rationalize this statement, here, in black & white, is your internet "legacy"- for all to see... your words, forever. I'm fairly certain there are more than a few people in this world who are -for one reason or another- missing parts of their bodies, who can & will smoke your butt on any day of any week, at motorcycling... and perhaps at just about anything.

I, for one, hope this person not only goes on to get her license for operating a motorcycle, I also hope she goes on to live her entire life riding, having fun, and helping others to realize they, too, can AND SHOULD do anything they want to do.

Back