• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Ideas for a would-be rider w no L hand

the Wizard of Oz
A new acquaintance who wants very much to start riding has the added difficulty of being born with no left hand. She's a very spunky young woman who's already signed up for the MSF class, but is having trouble finding any help getting a bike of any sort set up to actually ride. She's considered the old Honda-matic, but wisely thought better of getting involved in any sort of restoration. She doesn't really object to scooters, but she needs to be able to ride the exp'y to and from work. She'd really like to have a real motorcycle. Can you blame her!?

She's in the Chicago area, but I think would travel a bit for some help or a purchase.

At this point I think she's just searching for ideas; people familiar with the challenge. We just met and I told her the folks on the BMWMOA Forum would be certain to have some ideas and contacts for her.

Thanx in advance.

Wow, that's a big one to fill. But more power to her for the determination to do it. Hope she discusses her situation with the MSF instructor before the class (coming from my experience as a MSF instructor). Which bike is she riding in the class, because none of the MSF approved bikes are automatics in any sense, all have a clutch/left hand. Plus some of the exercises require use of the turn signal controls.

A question would be, is she planning to just ride inner-city streets or does she also plan to ride the freeways and interstate? Plus, just being the Chicago area is a handfull, let alone a new rider in Chicago, and a one handed rider.

She may find more inspiration here, a professional one-handed dirt track racer:

Bikes wise, well. Most are larger that offer a real alternative to no clutch hand: Yamaha FJR1300E (not a good choice for a beginner), Aprilia Shiver 750 (might be ok, has variable power modes), old Honda CB750A (not a good choice, a heavy dog of a vintage bike), old Honda CM400T (smaller version of an automatic bike, not bad if one can be found), BMW 600 Scooter (a fun ride really, got some giddy-up, handles well, I know it does 95 at least from experience, stable in twisties). All bikes include controls on the left grip other than the clutch lever, so other mods are needed too.

The BMW scooter isn't cheap, but it is feature laden and very capable. The left grip brake could be converted to operate with the right hand brake lever (both brakes all the time).

Hand challanged

I have a friend that has a deformed hand and her husband rigged the clutch and brake levers on the good side. I've ridden with her and she does very well. You couldn't really tell there was any differance. I'll see if I can find out more and reply back - don't expect it right away.

Tom

I have a friend that has a deformed hand and her husband rigged the clutch and brake levers on the good side. I've ridden with her and she does very well. You couldn't really tell there was any differance. I'll see if I can find out more and reply back - don't expect it right away.

Tom
I've seen the same success- full size Harley. Clutch and gas on the right- good to go. Good luck on this :thumb Gary

It can't be just a case of moving the clutch control. I can understand maybe that someone with a deformed hand could exert some type of steering control over the handlebars, but someone with no hand? That smells like a recipe for disaster, kind of like the roller coaster operator who allowed the legless man on, and he fell out to his death a year or so ago.

I knew a gentleman years ago that lost his entire left arm in a racing accident. He owned two motorcycle dealerships in San Diego, and rode us into the ground. His clutch lever and brake lever were on the right side.

Jump to 0:50 seconds

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uyKQjiTOXRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's definitely stuff out there without having to invent it yourself.

flat1.jpg

Go to > One Hand One Foot

Google
search results for "one-hand motorcycle riding"

Honda,
700 has a optional auto trans, no clutch lever, still has foot brake. Best of luck

The Aprilia Mana and all the super scooters have automatics too. The big scooters are very highway capable and would be good for commuting as they have good weather protection and storage space. There are also 1970's vintage Honda 750 and 400 models with automatics. There are enough choices you should be able to find something for her.

Why not a Maxi-scooter?

I think a 2008 or newer Burgman 400 would be an excellent candidate for her consideration. They are widely available, dependable and will handle any speed she will ever need. They have a low seat (28") and are very easy to ride with the automatic CVT. The aftermarket has a lot of accessories available for them. The 2008 is basically the same as the new ones other than ABS and color. There is good support through forums and DYI You-Tube videos ( http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php & http://burgmanriders.com/forums/forum.php ).

Good used low mileage Burgman 400s are available for between $3,000 and $4,000. I would not consider buying a new scooter because they drop in value quickly.

Don't bash Maxi-scooters until you try them. It took my friend all summer to get me to ride his. I did and bought one the next day. My brother calls it my "girl's motorcycle".

I have recently read some articles about an old dirt/desert racer who has developed types of prosthetics just for operating motorcycles. I want to say Malcolm Smith, but I don't remember for certain. The devices offered full control of the bike with no mods.

Yes...I am a scooter head :D

Don't count out scooters...most Americans just don't understand them. They generally think of little 50cc bikes and not what the rest of the world considers scooters. Scooters are quick, nimble, and many are capable of safely cruising the highway. Plus the storage space blows any MC away

That being said I would suggest something like a Honda Helix. 250cc, nice cruiser CVT transmission, and foot brake. Maxi scooters like the c6550gt are great but both levers are needed for good braking control. Yes...the front provides most of the braking power...but that 25-30% from the rear sure comes in handy in a jam!

The Honda motors are pretty indestructible and parts are readily available at reasonable prices.

Nice of you to help out a friend....but who doesn't like checking out bikes!

Looking at the other links posted there is some really slick stuff out there. It looks like the hard part may be deciding on which one

Please keep us updated...I'm really curious to see what the final choice is!

. don't forget photos!

While not a believer in too much guvmint and a sucker for feel good stories, I'd think it ought to be made pretty legally tough for this person to even get a motorcycle operator license. This group of people, obviously. MSF being so cash-strapped, I'd think it difficult for them to come up with reasonable criteria, which if they did ought to be "lobbied" to various governments. Or whoever else with scientific knowledge (and funded) and not just a bunch of us forum guys with opinions and anecdotes.

While not a believer in too much guvmint and a sucker for feel good stories, I'd think it ought to be made pretty legally tough for this person to even get a motorcycle operator license. This group of people, obviously. MSF being so cash-strapped, I'd think it difficult for them to come up with reasonable criteria, which if they did ought to be "lobbied" to various governments. Or whoever else with scientific knowledge (and funded) and not just a bunch of us forum guys with opinions and anecdotes.

I think this brave young lady's handicap is far less than the handicaps I encounter with people driving adapted 4 wheelers. I don't think the licensing requirements should be any different than they would be for any other rider.

Honda CTX recommendation

I would also suggest she look at the new Honda CTX700 series with the DCT transmission. The DCT operates in both manual and automatic shifting modes, with an internal clutch. There is no left handlebar clutch/brake lever at all. All of the critical automatic transmission controls and front brake lever are on the right handlebar. Also, a clever DIY conversion might make the manual paddle shifters on the left handlebar (not used in the automatic shifting mode) usable by someone with a left hand/arm prosthetic. The CTX DCTs have other advantages. They sit and ride like standard motorcycles, and have very low seat height, which make them easy to ride and ideal for a new rider (one of the design purposes). The DCT option also comes with ABS.

Now the disclaimer: In addition to being an MSF RiderCoach, I am also the contracted manager for Honda's national street motorcycle and ATV demonstrations teams. That being said, I would never recommend a riding solution that I didn't consider appropriate, in any situation. However in this case, a CTX DCT might be the perfect solution for her.

Drop me a PM if you want to chat more on the topic, or would be glad to discuss direct with her, as would my wife, who is also a RiderCoach and team co-manager.

Best Wishes to Her and You!

Last edited:
I had totally forgot about the new Honda. Plus, a used or leftover DN 700 Honda may be another alternative since it offers a really low seat height which may be advantageous for a new rider with her added needs.

The BMW scooters are an alternative. I recently had opportunity to really give one a hard ride, and this is one very capable scooter. But, it is as heavy as a R1200RT. And though being a scooter, the seat height to ground is surprisingly high and the footboards require a wide stance at a stop. Also, the rear brake is on the LH grip. But that could be integrated into the RH brake.

As an MSF coach, I'd certainly welcome her into a class. However, none of the MSF bikes are clutch-less. MSF does have provisions for someone of special needs to bring in their own bike but it requires more review before the student just shows up in class and expects to ride a bike not provided in the program.

I had totally forgot about the new Honda. Plus, a used or leftover DN 700 Honda may be another alternative since it offers a really low seat height which may be advantageous for a new rider with her added needs.

The BMW scooters are an alternative. I recently had opportunity to really give one a hard ride, and this is one very capable scooter. But, it is as heavy as a R1200RT. And though being a scooter, the seat height to ground is surprisingly high and the footboards require a wide stance at a stop. Also, the rear brake is on the LH grip. But that could be integrated into the RH brake.

As an MSF coach, I'd certainly welcome her into a class. However, none of the MSF bikes are clutch-less. MSF does have provisions for someone of special needs to bring in their own bike but it requires more review before the student just shows up in class and expects to ride a bike not provided in the program.

+1. MSF has specific guidelines for acceptable bikes for the Basic Rider Course. Given the specifics of a state's individual licensing requirements, it may be possible to take the MSF BRC on a scooter that meets course requirements, but these licensing requirements differ by state.

Back