• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

12 V Signal Source

bobr9

1999 R1100RT

Looking for a 12V switched signal source for auxiliary fuse panel. I am looking at using the brown/blue middle lead into what I think is the diagnostic plug which sits just aft of the fuse box. It has three leads into it. The middle lead looks to provide a good signal with the ignition on.

Have others found this to be a good source signal for relay activation? Any downsides? Should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks...Bob

Typically people tap into the parking light in the headlight. It's pretty easy to get to, and it doesn't carry a digital signal on it that could be messed up with a possibly noisy relay. Another location to look at is the accessory socket.

Typically people tap into the parking light in the headlight. It's pretty easy to get to, and it doesn't carry a digital signal on it that could be messed up with a possibly noisy relay. Another location to look at is the accessory socket.

Ok, thanks. By accessory socket are you referring to the accessory plug on the left side of the dash or another plug?

On my R1100RS, the socket is down on the starter motor cover on the left side. It's the cigarette lighter-like socket that you could plug your heated vest into, for example.

Back