• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150R : Any women riders on this bike?

U

UFObuster

My GF wants to get a bike. She has ridden small bikes (250ish) but it was
12-15 years ago. Recently did the MSF and passed first try. She rides
often with me two-up on a GS Adventure.

Have looked a lot at BMW 'F' and 'G' bikes and like the size and weight.
Recently found a great deal on a 2003 R1150R in great condition well equipped with seat at about 30.3".

She is 5'6" and weighs around 130#. Is it unreasonable to skip over the smaller bikes? Any women's opinion on this. :scratch

It may be too much about how much I like it. :evil It's a classic...and I want her to easily cruise with me on the 1200GSA....but too big for limited experience?

Comments very much appreciated in advance

If she isn't really comfortable on it, let go of wanting it and move on. Trust me, you will be happier. With the slightly forward position, and height advantage you have with the R1150R will be lost when it comes to stability. No stability, no comfort. Tension, apprehension when stopping, dropped bike, doesn't want to ride it, etc. The R1150R is not particularly low or light. If you want a heavy tall bike for a new rider, it had better have a bolt-upright riding position for better stability when she has to put her foot down quickly. The farther forward she is leaned (and the R isn't that far forward, it's just not upright) the less she can use her upper body to stabilize the bike.

It's WAY better for a new rider to grow out of a bike than it is to have to grow into one. I don't think the R1150R is a good starter bike, due to the geometry. It's a great bike, just not a great beginner bike for someone who isn't totally comfortable on it. I've seen it.

having no knowledge of your g/f's skill set, I would advise starting smaller, although you would know better than I can how well she can handle the size and weight of the 1150. Some can manage a larger bike right away, some never can.
Something a bit lighter is just easier to learn on. Having passed the class on the first try is not a ringing endorsement of her mad skilz. Remember- after completing the BRC, she now has ridden about 20 miles total, at speeds up to 20 mph, in an enclosed parking lot, under highly controlled conditions, with trained supervisor's observing her every move, and virtually no opposing traffic at all to contend with. She still has a TON of learning to do before she is a "motorcyclist".
If the bike is such a killer deal that you just can't pass it up... buy it, then put it under a trap in the garage (or ride it yourself to keep it happy), and get her a smaller starter bike for this season. Consider that one to be a temporary investment in her education, which you will turn around at the end of this year (or next) and sell to some other beginner.

As a short legged guy I ride that bike(in fact same year & model & mines for sale!) & mine has the low seat option which is the height you mention-the 'regular & tall" are higher yet. It is still a little tall for me but consider that I've ridden MC's for many yrs too. I have a 29" inseam & also use a sheepskin for longer,non-errand type trips. W/o the sheepskin my toes touch when upright but I can only flat foot it when tipped. Take my word, not many MC's fit me.
Great MC, but comments above are on the spot, not a starter MC. As an aging rider I'm looking in the scoot direction for senior years-we'll see as I'm still wanting to get my /5 together as I'm healthy now. Very few low MC's out there as many cruisers(not my type of ride!!!) have wide seats that make the seats higher than will seem in specs.. The new Honda 700 MC's have low seats but also low power-maybe start there? Many Japanese vintage bikes that offer a narrower seat & lighter weight if not doing real long tours.

Women on an R1150R

My GF wants to get a bike. She has ridden small bikes (250ish) but it was
12-15 years ago. Recently did the MSF and passed first try. She rides
often with me two-up on a GS Adventure.

Have looked a lot at BMW 'F' and 'G' bikes and like the size and weight.
Recently found a great deal on a 2003 R1150R in great condition well equipped with seat at about 30.3".

She is 5'6" and weighs around 130#. Is it unreasonable to skip over the smaller bikes? Any women's opinion on this. :scratch

It may be too much about how much I like it. :evil It's a classic...and I want her to easily cruise with me on the 1200GSA....but too big for limited experience?

Comments very much appreciated in advance

You seem to be pretty self-aware and that is always a good thing. What does your girlfriend think she needs for her first bike? She definitely needs to feel comfortable or it will be difficult to develop confidence. I can only tell you my experience. I began riding a Yamaha 350RD at age 54 in the Spring of 2003 and took the MSF course in the summer of 2003. Shortly after that I bought a new F650 Scarver which I really liked and rode it for about a year. It was a great bike for me as a beginning rider because it was quite light. In the fall of 2004 I bought a used 2002 R1150R and it has been my ride ever since. So, in my opinion, it would probably be a good idea to start on something smaller and work up to a bike more suitable to long distance touring.

Guy's opinion:
It's not only how "big" it is and how she fits on it, but also how does the bike "behave" and respond to rider inputs.
An engine with a "wide flat" powerband is going to be easier to handle than a "peaky" one.
A wide clutch friction (engagement) band is going to be easier.
A heavier flywheel (crank thru clutch) will be easier to ride.
This is why many girls like Harleys (besides lack of experience with other brands) - they're not only low, but easy to ride.
The last girlfriend I taught to ride couldn't handle my K75S (with the C bars), because the flywheel effect was so light and the throttle was so quick; but she had NO problem with my FLH. A girlfriend before that did well on a Honda CB360. Another girlfriend got a Sportster with ape-hanger handlebars, and was afraid to lean it over at all; she never learned how to ride properly.

In addition to what the others have said, I wouldn't worry about a smaller bike keeping up with your bigger one. My F650CS keeps up with my husband's R1200RT just fine. We've done several multi-day trips, and we're usually on the road for 8-10 hours a day when we travel. I'm considering selling my big bike because I'm just so comfortable on the smaller one, and I've been riding for a long time.

I'm thinking F800 ST. A buddy's wife has one and keeps up with him on his 1200RT no problem. She loves the lower height and ease of maneuverability it offers. Worth a look.

Touring style may matter too

If you like to have lots of 700-800 mile days on the Interstates go for a big and comfortable bike and get a lower seat that is a bit narrower at the front and shorter shocks. Sometimes lower profile tires and even smaller diameter wheels are available. An inch here, an inch there and another 1/2 inch somewhere else and you drop it 2 1/2 inches. An extra 1/2 inch on the bottom of good boots helps too.

I like shorter riding days of 350 to 450 miles and even shorter than that in really interesting areas. In 43 years I've done 600 mile days less than 10times so that probably shows some bias. I don't think you need as much bike for this type of touring. In about 1981 my wife, 5ft5, and I did 2500 miles in 10 days through Wisconsin, into the Door County area, Milwaukee, over to Galena, and along the Mississippi River. I was on an R75/5 with most of the luggage and she was on a Honda 400 Four with a windshield and higher bars. That was the perfect bike for her and we had a wonderful trip.

Back in the day friends toured pretty long distances on Honda CB 450 twins, Suzuki 500s, RD 350s, etc. I even met a guy who was 2,000 miles from home on a Yamaha 250 enduro. He had 2 front sprockets, one for the highway, one for the logging roads and trails.

If you go for shorter daily distances there are a lot of great bikes on the market now. I'd love a 250 Ninja or any of a number of current mid-size bikes (maybe with handle bar risers!) on the Blue Ridge or the No.1 down the west coast.

PS. If the lady drops a bike because shes always on tip toe at lights etc. she might never get back on again. And the R bikes of the last 20 years do tend to be top heavy and the G bikes even more so for obvious reasons.

I moved from an f650CS to the R1150R Rockster, after almost 2 years. The transition wasn't always "pretty" and an in between sized bike would have made things a lot easier. And I'm 5'8" with a 34" inseam.

The R bike is probably not a good "re-entry" bike for her.

P

Rode with a woman this past weekend, she on an R1150R, lowered a bit.

Woman in our club does fine on an R1200R, rode it to Alaska couple years ago and was a strong competitor in MOA mileage contest. She has thicker boot soles is all.

I have a good friend (a male, under 6 ft) whose first bike ever was (still is) an R1100RT. I don't buy starting small.

I buy starting smart, in shape, and motivated. I think the general discomfort and crappiness of smaller bikes is a demotivator.

Don't make the mistake of buying what you think will be a good bike for your wife.

She needs to be the one to decide without any input or risk of disappointing you.

In my opinion, The F 650 GS Twin Or new F 700 GS Twin is probably the single best bike for women with shorter inseams. The seat is narrower than the comparable G650 GS. With the factory lowered suspension most can confidently get their feet on the ground at stops.

It's light, Nimble, fun, smooth, powerful but not uncontrollable.

In fact, If I could only have just one Motorcycle. That would be my choice.

Lots of options and cross compatibility with F800GS accessories.

Stock bike with factory lowered suspension, comfort seat or aftermarket seat (don't go with the low seat. It's only good for a 100 miles or so before the cursing starts).

Let her test ride one at your local dealership. See what she thinks.

Another option may be the new Honda CTX700N. She probably won't be able to test ride it though.

While I know of many women with similar dimensions who did 'start' on an R1100R or R1150R, none of them continue to ride that bike.

I'd pass.

Jim

Let her choose it! With your input.....

You have a of knowledge that she doesn't have, offer you opinion but let her choose it. I am a woman rider who came back to riding after a 25 year break, some of that as a passenger (MSF instructor pointed out my excellent balance - a passenger learned skill). I started back on a Moto Guzzi 750 Breva - light and comfortable and easy to pick up. It required thought and planning to keep up with the big guys. I suspect it helped me learn needed skills - looking ahead, planning and watching conditions. All are valuable skills I used on the 1150R that I choose as my second bike. Like a previous poster said, the first year was not pretty, it is a wonderful bike but the weight is high and if you load it with luggage..... I learned more and loved the 1150 R but I adore the R1200R - it is lower and lighter and better balanced weight distribution for me. I have no problem keeping up with my husbands R1200RT or even passing him! I also considered the F800 but found a deal on the R1200R - I think a used bike takes some of the pressure off.
LJB

An excellent point! With a used bike, you probably don't have to worry about being the first one to, shall we say, "initiate" it... :doh

Not an 1150 but...

I bought this schweet '99 R1100R last summer for my SO. She's 5-5, the bike came with a factory low seat option and she loves it, I mean REALLY loves the bike. Good luck with your decision. Full disclosure: I started her out on a Yamaha XJ550 (which she quickly outgrew) then she went to a XJ700 before the R1100

My SO is similar size, maybe an inch shorter, very athletic, and has ridden cross country more times than I have. Her MOA number is a tiny fraction of mine- from more than 30 yrs ago- and she's owned several BMWs. We did the Morton's rally last weekend, played at a good clip in the VA mountains and did a nice 300 miles in the rain coming back- very nice to have an SO who rides well in any condition. Had so much fun I bought her a new Schuberth she was admiring...

She rides now an R1100S that I modded with bar backs, a bigger screen and a few other items to make it more useful as a touring bike. She had, hated, and sold a K75 (too tall) and would happily buy another airhead if they were made again- that was her favorite. She has no interest at all in current low models of R bikes or indeed any other full size bike BMW currently makes- though she has not yet tried the 800GT which easily has enough power to run with others while touring. Height of the bike is her explanation. I have joked with her about modding a S1000RR into her next touring bike because she complains her R1100S is slower on corner exits than my R1200RT- its the only BMW she sat on that she says is low enough. She also complains that even her R1100S puts her on the balls of her feet at stops (it does) though it looks almost toy sized next to my RT or K bikes...

We have female members of our local BMW club who are taller than her yet on J brand cruisers for the same reason.

BMW fails to get that many women are either not strong enough or are simply put off by all their tall models- and that low option seats are an inadequate answer. R's in general are top heavy and do little to make life easier for shorter folks, especially newbs- their poor low speed handling (bad first gear ratios, funky dry clutch, etc) doesn't help either- anyone who owns one knows its a pita in traffic compared to many other bike designs. I'm a typical size 6 ft male and find my own RT top heavy compared to BMWs K bikes that I also own- but I sure like its weather protection, easy maintenance, engine durability, comfort for long miles, etc etc

She will need adequate power if she wants to ride with you but a 750cc V twin Honda bought used for $4K can easily do that.....If you've got a cruiser bias, I'd rethink it- they sell more of those to women than BMW sells in total. Where I live essentially all female riders are on cruisers or sport bikes.

Her bike, her pick...You win only if she's happy with the result....

No, Rs in general are NOT top heavy. Some of the RTs maybe, but that's the heavy fairing. The thread is about the R1150R which has no fairing.

Another vote in favor of the Honda 750 V - one gal I know (also small & lean), and a fairly aggressive rider, liked hers so much that, when she had to replace it, she bought another exactly like it. She's had other bikes, and her sons ride too, so she's not ignorant of the choices out there.

If more power is required, there's always bigger ones from Honda & Yamaha.

And just as an aside - I've witnessed a vertically-challenged gal drop her 1150R in a parking lot...

So, I wonder what how this all fleshed out?

Seriously, I think it has less to do with the size of the rider and the size of the motorcycle than it does with overall experience. I've seen very petite females handle some very large motorcycles, and handle them very well. I've seen big strong males look like fools in a parking lot with bikes much smaller than an 1150R.

So what happened?
:dunno

Back