• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Detroit - Calgary - Seatle - San Fransico - Los Angeles Summer Ride

Detroit Kim

Planning on leaving on my 1150RT at the end of June with 2 buddies. My 2 friends are riding to Anchorage and back (on their Harleys).
I'm spliting off at Banff to meet up with my wife in Seatle (have family there). Then ride 2 up the rest of the way.
Due to reality, I will have to ship the bike back due to work schedule (AKA lack of vacation days).

If anyone has any hints or tips for this route, my ears are open.

I suppose...

....you two WILL BE joining all of us in Salem, OR at the Club Rally won't you? That alone, well...with a wine tour, will make your trip a success.

"travel'in" john

I have a suggested route for the Banff to Seattle portion if I were palnning that trip.

From Banff follow Hwy 1 - The Trans Canada Highway to Hwy 93
Take Hwy 93 to Radium (stop for a soak in the hot springs)
From Radium go to Golden on Hwy 95 and get back on Hwy 1
Follow Hwy 1 to Revelstoke and turn off onto Hwy 23 south
follow that to Nakusp (note there is a free ferry crossing midway)(Again, soak in the hot springs at Nakusp)
Take Hwy 6 across to Vernon (another free ferry on this route)
Take Hwy 97 to Kelowna (lots of wineries in this area and a couple micro-breweries, but only after your done riding)
From Kelowna head south on Hwy 33 to Rock Creek and Hwy 3 - the Crowsnest Highway
Head east and cross the border just before Grand Forks and follow US 21 to Republic WA
Alternate choice - head west to Osoyoos, then south across the border from there to Tonasket and US 20
Now take US 20 all the way to the coast just north of Seattle (Be sure to stop at Winthrop for the old west experience, and Diablo Dam is a neat stop too)

Attachments

• Route.jpg
    Route.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 123
I have a suggested route for the Banff to Seattle portion if I were palnning that trip.

From Banff follow Hwy 1 - The Trans Canada Highway to Hwy 93
Take Hwy 93 to Radium (stop for a soak in the hot springs)
From Radium go to Golden on Hwy 95 and get back on Hwy 1
Follow Hwy 1 to Revelstoke and turn off onto Hwy 23 south
follow that to Nakusp (note there is a free ferry crossing midway)(Again, soak in the hot springs at Nakusp)
Take Hwy 6 across to Vernon (another free ferry on this route)
Take Hwy 97 to Kelowna (lots of wineries in this area and a couple micro-breweries, but only after your done riding)
From Kelowna head south on Hwy 33 to Rock Creek and Hwy 3 - the Crowsnest Highway
Head east and cross the border just before Grand Forks and follow US 21 to Republic WA
Alternate choice - head west to Osoyoos, then south across the border from there to Tonasket and US 20
Now take US 20 all the way to the coast just north of Seattle (Be sure to stop at Winthrop for the old west experience, and Diablo Dam is a neat stop too)

Hmm. Thats a slightly different route I was planning. I'll have to look into that. Looks a bit more interesting.
My major problem is time constraints. I only have 2 days to get from Banff to Seatle.

The North Cascades Highway is definitely a pretty ride. Just make sure you don't miss the changes in speed limits as you near the little towns along the route on the the western end. DAMHIK

....you two WILL BE joining all of us in Salem, OR at the Club Rally won't you? That alone, well...with a wine tour, will make your trip a success.

"travel'in" john

Sorry to say, I will already be home by then.
Leaving Detroit area 6/30 leaving Ventura approx 7/16

Well, only 4 weeks away now.
Just took my bike in for its 24K service.
Starting to buy some supplies for the trip.
Almost got my route sorted. Still trying to map out the banff to Seattle segment.
Also started putting together a blog. That'll be a first for me. Slowly getting into the 21st century.:gerg

Planning on leaving on my 1150RT at the end of June with 2 buddies. My 2 friends are riding to Anchorage and back (on their Harleys).
I'm spliting off at Banff to meet up with my wife in Seatle (have family there). Then ride 2 up the rest of the way.
Due to reality, I will have to ship the bike back due to work schedule (AKA lack of vacation days).

If anyone has any hints or tips for this route, my ears are open.

Kim...when traveling on the west coast, take a look at this website: www.pashnit.com. Lots of great info there, and a great group of folks who love to ride.

Be safe.

Taking Eds advise, sort of and riding down to Castlegar from Banff to Seatle.
Only a week away now.
Had a few glitches in my prep.
1. After 24K service, the bike had a fuel leak from the joint on the feed line. The dealer fixed it by replacing the plastic quik-connects and rubber hoses.
2. Had a local upholsterer modify my seat. They completely screwed it up, now I'm hastily trying fix it, with gel seat (not working) Airhawk seat pad (waiting for the mail man on that one).
If all fails I'll use my stock big boy seat and have to deal with tiptoes at the lights. At least I know it comfortable.
3. Waiting for the Excel cruise control. Toms been overwhelmed with the pre rally orders. But its on its way.
Now just praying for good weather along the trip. Calgary has severe flooding as I write this and Banff had a motor cyclist chased by a huge wolf !

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...-along-stretch-of-b-c-highway-takes-pictures/

Trans Canada is washed out at Canmore. You can not get west from Calgary without taking a very long detour.

Current alerts
Hwy 1 Closure
Traffic Event Updated On: Friday, June 21, 2013, at 10:17

Hwy 1 westbound from Norquay exit is now open. Westbound traffic from Banff can now go west to Golden and westbound is closed at Cougar Creek at Canmore due to flooding. Hwy 1 between Golden and Banff eastbound open only for local traffic.
Southbound Hwy 2 detoured onto Hwy 519 due to flooding
Traffic Event Updated On: Friday, June 21, 2013, at 09:57

Southbound Hwy 2 is being detoured at Granum onto Hwy519 because of water over Hwy 2 north of Fort Mcleod
Southern Alberta Flooding
Weather Event Updated On: Friday, June 21, 2013, at 09:33

Travel advisory in effect for Okotoks, High River, Turner valley, Black Diamond, Bragg Creek and Sparwood. Several locations are under evacuation. Officials ask the public to not drive to affected areas.
Weather warnings-West Central Alberta
Weather Event Updated On: Friday, June 21, 2013, at 09:33

Environment Canada continues with their heavy rainfall waning for; Rocky Mountain House, Nordegg, Airdrie, Cochrane, Olds, Sundre, Kananaskis, Banff National Park, and Canmore. An additional 60mm of rain is possible by today.
Hwy 547 Bridge Closure near Arrowwood
Traffic Event Updated On: Friday, June 21, 2013, at 09:16

The bridge near Arrowwood on Hwy547 is closed due to flooding.
Hwy 3-Speed Reduction at the Crowsnest Pass
Traffic Event Updated On: Friday, June 21, 2013, at 07:46

Due to heavy rainfall the speed limit along the Crowsnest Pass Lake has been reduced to 50 km/hr. There is water on the eastbound lane but it is still passable.
Hwy 24 Speargrass Bridge Closed
Traffic Event Updated On: Friday, June 21, 2013, at 07:23

Speargrass Bridge crossing HWY24 has been closed for northbound and southbound traffic due debris in the river
Northbound Deerfoot Flooding
Traffic Event Updated On: Friday, June 21, 2013, at 06:33

Northbound Deerfoot to Blackfoot Trail westbound is closed, traffic must exit to 17th Avenue.
Hwy 40 Closure
Traffic Event Updated On: Friday, June 21, 2013, at 05:47

Highway 40 from Highway 1 up through Kananaskis is closed due to flooding.
Hwy 93 from Lake Louise-North Closed
Traffic Event Updated On: Thursday, June 20, 2013, at 22:05

Hwy 93 between Lake Louise and Saskatchewan Crossing is closed due to multiple mud slides. Hwy 93 between Saskatchewan Crossing and Lake Louise will remain closed overnight and the closure will be reassessed on Friday morning
Hwy 8 Closure
Traffic Event Updated On: Thursday, June 20, 2013, at 18:49

Hwy 8 is closed at the Twin Bridges due to flooding
Hwy 66 Closure
Traffic Event Updated On: Thursday, June 20, 2013, at 12:56

Hwy 66 is closed between the junction of Hwy 22 and Elbow Falls Winter Closure due to severe flooding.
Hwy 93 South Closed
Traffic Event Updated On: Thursday, June 20, 2013, at 12:16

Hwy 93 South is closed from Castle Mountain Junction to Radium Hot Springs
Hwy 1A Closure
Traffic Event Updated On: Thursday, June 20, 2013, at 10:25

Hwy 1A is closed west of Exshaw due to a washout
High River & Black Diamond Bridges are closed
Traffic Event Updated On: Thursday, June 20, 2013, at 10:05

Due to high water the High River and Black Diamond Bridges are closed. No estimated time of re-opening at this time

Just a heads up for the Calgary Banff area, we are experiencing heavy rain and major flooding all through southern Alberta and the mountain areas right now. Several major roads, highways and bridges are washed out and or closed. Large areas have been evacuated, including all of downtown Calgary and several towns nearby. Its a big mess here right now.

Keep checking for current road and weather conditions as some may not be reopened for your travels.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Martin / Ed.
Thanks for that info. I saw the devastation on the national news here in the States. Didn't realize it was so wide spread.
I'm actually bypassing Calgary on my way from the border crossing at Sweet Water to Banff. I cross check the roads I'll take with your road report. I will be passing tru Banff on 7/1 - 7/2.
Can I ask you where you got that road report ?
Many thanks
Kim

www.amaroadreports.ca

http://511.alberta.ca/ab/en.html

Below is a list of roads maintained by Volker Stevin Highways, Calgary office which are currently closed.

Highway 1A Morley to Canmore
Highway 1 Highway 40 to the Banff Gates
Highway 40 from Highway 1 up through Kananaskis
Highway 758
Highway 66
Highway 68 from Powderface to Highway 40
Homestead Road
Highway 541
Highway 549 east
Highway 540 closed at Kisco Creek
Highway 742
Highway 22 from Highway 8 to Bragg Creek
Highway 2 from High River to Nanton
Highway 22 south of Springbank
Twin bridges at Highway 8
Highway 1 from Morley turnoff To Bear Hill is down to 1 lane

A number of roads in Banff and Kootnay National Parks are also closed:

Trans-Canada Highway in both directions at Carrot Creek
Trans-Canada Highway westbound at the Norquay interchange
Minnewanka Loop Road north of Banff
Sunshine Village Access Road
Highway 93 S ~ Kootnay Narional Park
Highway 93 N ~ Icefields Parkway

Last edited:
The North Cascades Hwy is about the most spectacular road in WA state and perhaps the country (if you like mountains). It is closed half the year due to snow. It's open now. Try not to miss it.

The North Cascades Hwy is about the most spectacular road in WA state and perhaps the country (if you like mountains). It is closed half the year due to snow. It's open now. Try not to miss it.

Whats the number of the North Cascades Hwy and between what towns does it run ?

If Hiway 1 is closed, is 3 worth riding between Cranbrook and Osoyoos ?

Whats the number of the North Cascades Hwy and between what towns does it run ?

If Hiway 1 is closed, is 3 worth riding between Cranbrook and Osoyoos ?

North Cascades Highway is 20.

Hiway 3 is flooded but open, one lane only. Nice road.

Back