• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1976 R75/6 Instrument Cluster

cseltz

Two questions to start: I would like to replace the (missing) hood over the tachometer and it looks like someone may have glued the lens bezel on with something like rubber cement or contact cement. It is still "gummy". Then there was a layer of black tape wrapped around the bezel and the case. I have been having trouble uploading pictures but I am going to try. Can anyone give me detail on how this assembly is supposed to be? I don't want to do any damage getting it apart in order to clean it and put it together right. Second thing is that the tachometer cable was broken when I took possession of the bike. When I took the instrument cluster off, the tachometer would not turn. I imagine that is why the cable broke (the end going into the engine was broken off in its receiver). I turned it backward with my fingers and it freed right up and now it turns with some "lumpiness" but basically pretty smooth. Is there any service that I can do to make sure whatever hung up the cable in the first place isn't still "lurking"? Any advice or direction to detailed instructions would be appreciated. I have to get my "tech" to help me with pictures (unless I can get the 8 year old kid who lives next door after school lets out!). I keep getting the same error messages when I try to post photos.

Thanks,

Chip

I keep getting the same error messages when I try to post photos.

What is the error message? If the original picture is too big, it won't upload. Find a way to knock the size down to say 150-200Kb and it should upload fine.

Hoods are available, new - perhaps not from BMW, but I have seen them. The part underneath the hoods (holding the glass) was originally glued on. After a while, the glue gets brittle and lets go. My glue wasn't gummy. I just used electrical tape to secure and that has been waterproof.

What is the error message? If the original picture is too big, it won't upload. Find a way to knock the size down to say 150-200Kb and it should upload fine.

I know the problem is at my end. Sometimes the pictures come through and sometimes I get an "upload failed" message. The next time my tech is here, I'll get him to go over it with me and figure out what I am doing wrong. That will be Sunday at the latest (he is my son!). Thanks.

Hoods are available, new - perhaps not from BMW, but I have seen them. The part underneath the hoods (holding the glass) was originally glued on. After a while, the glue gets brittle and lets go. My glue wasn't gummy. I just used electrical tape to secure and that has been waterproof.

Thanks for that input. I have the new hood and it looks like it is meant to fit into a "groove" at the base. So you wrap with electrical tape and then fit the hood over the outside?

Thanks

Now that I am into this, I could use some direction regarding disassembly / reassembly of the pod. There is a broken gear linking the tachometer to the cable landing but I am stuck getting to it. Is anyone aware of a site where I can find detailed diagrams / procedures?

Thanks,

Chip

Chip -

Go to the link in my signature line and look at the section the Speedometer. There are several tutorials on opening up the speedo pod.

The hoods do fit into a groove...after I re-glued the glass/plastic portion, I then wrapped in electrical tape around the hoods just for good measure. This was just a precaution because I ride in the rain quite a bit, and I didn't want any moisture coming in, just in case my glue job wasn't up to snuff. Electrical tape was just a precaution in case my glue job failed. Originally, the whole assembly had popped off after having run over a huge pot hole.

Back