• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cylinders and Head swap for an R90/6

Someone will need to check me to be sure, but I believe the Nikasil cylinders have a ridge around the spigot that fits into the case. This will have to be machined off in order for these cylinders to work.

Does anybody see any potential problem in swapping out the cylinders, pistons and heads of a 1976 R90/6 with these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-1994-R1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c73a9b7f&vxp=mtr They are from a 1994 R100GS R100R airhead motor.

You'll have to do a bit of research as it was year 1976 ( and possible some late 1975's ) when they changed the blocks to accommodate the newer style cylinders. The early years R 90/6 74 & 75 and possibly early 76s ( you'll have to use the manufacture date of your engine to know for sure ) would not accept the newer cylinders. You can modify the block or possible cut a recess in the cylinder to make it fit on an older block if you want to go that route.

The big change was that the older blocks used an aluminum spacer between the block and the cylinder and the newer ones had an O ring groove cut into the cylinder. Also the block itself was opened up slightly to allow the O ring equipped cylinder to slide into the block.

I do know that the R90 & R75 cylinders ( not the S model ) are interchangeable for years 74 & 75 up until about Sept/75 when they changed the blocks.

Back