• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

92 K75S Forks

rcbimmer
I just rebuilt the forks and added a set of Progressive fork springs. I added 11 oz of 10 wt fork oil, same amount as I removed. Now the front suspension is stiff as can be to point that the bike just has no give at all. I know it should be some what stiff for the first 600 miles or so. Can anyone please give me some advice. Thanks.

If the volume of the springs installed is greater than the volume of the springs removed, then the specified quantity of oil will be higher in the fork legs, leaving a smaller air column above the oil, which will stiffen the suspension. BUT, I'm not at all sure this is your problem.

Your problem sounds a lot more like fork stiction which may be caused by a misalignment of the fork sliders. This is easy to do when installing the integral fork brace on K75s.

What I would do - with the wheel on and properly tightened - is loosen all four capscrews that attach the two fork legs to the aluminum brace. Then with the fork brace loose bounce the front end a few times. Then carefully retighten the fork brace.

If that doesn't cure it then here is a test to see if the oil volume is the culprit. At the top of the fork, remove the 8mm capscrews in the "fill" holes, and gently - so as to not squirt an oil mess out the hole - bounce the front end. If the stiffness goes away then too much oil is the culprit. If not ...

If these two things don't identify and cure the problem something is wrong inside the fork assembly. You said "rebuild" and without knowing what you mean specifically by that, I can only guess what might be wrong, but a misassembled valve could do it.

Thanks Paul I will try what you recommend this weekend. By rebuild I meant that I took the forks apart and replaced the fork seals and dust covers. I put the oil level according to the instructions that came with the springs. The amount of oil is still the same as what I removed. I'll post back this weekend after trying what you said. Thanks again.

I left off a step in the earlier post. Loosen the brace and loosen the pinch bolts at the axle on the right side of the bike. Then bounce the front several times. Then tighten the brace. Then tighten the pinch bolts.

I just rebuilt the forks and added a set of Progressive fork springs.

I would like to do some maintenance to my forks also. What exactly did you order from Progressive? Do they have springs specifically for the K75S?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I would like to do some maintenance to my forks also. What exactly did you order from Progressive? Do they have springs specifically for the K75S?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I found mine on ebay, just do a search for a K75S. They were fork springs I then ordered the seals and dust boots from my dealer.

11-1509 is for the '92-'95 Showa forks.

11-1126 is for the earlier forks.

If you have the forks that do not have the large rubber dust covers over the seals, you have the Showa forks and you have the correct springs.

Your vin# is higher than 153330, right?

:dance:dance:dance

11-1509 is for the '92-'95 Showa forks.

11-1126 is for the earlier forks.

If you have the forks that do not have the large rubber dust covers over the seals, you have the Showa forks and you have the correct springs.

Your vin# is higher than 153330, right?

Checked the VIN number and yes it is higher then 153330. But I do have the dust covers over the seals. I have owned the bike since new so nothing has been changed until I added the springs.

But I do have the dust covers over the seals.

No, I meant the early LARGE rubber dust boots like these:

P1000567.jpg

You should have the later flat ones that look like a regular seal. That changed in 9/91 (before your bike was built) when they went to the Showa forks (which your bike has).

Back