• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Interesting food in Ohio??

jshuck

I like interesting restaurants. What is available in the Lima/Ohio area? I'm looking for Mom and Pop and ethnic stuff... no franchise Olive Garden crap. How about bakeries too. I'm from the northeaat and REAL bagels are essential. Any ideas?? john shuck Ironbutt #31 02 GS

John, I can't comment on any particular restaurants, but I have heard alot about an Ohio delicacy they call "road apples". Evidently they are especially abundant in areas where Amish folk reside. The best part is that they are supposedly free - you just pick them up off the road. Keep your eye open for them. They might be slippery under your tires.

Steve

jshuck said:
I like interesting restaurants. What is available in the Lima/Ohio area? I'm looking for Mom and Pop and ethnic stuff... no franchise Olive Garden crap. How about bakeries too. I'm from the northeaat and REAL bagels are essential. Any ideas?? john shuck Ironbutt #31 02 GS

Well, Real Mom and pop eatery..Go to Toledo, Hour north on the 75 to Tony Packo's. Hungarian chill dogs that makes the Cops stand outside in the dead of winter waiting for their order. Plus, Momma Packo makes the best strudle (sp?) and hand whips the cream.

Years ago ('76) they had cake walkin' jazz band made up of the university music directors from a 100 mile radius; Ball State, UM, TU, BGSU,...
Great dogs, beer, music. :thumb :D

Ohio is the home of many fast food chains, Wendy's for example. Ohio is also considered ground zero for testing of new "fast foods" for the industry. Be a guinea pig, eat fast. be like a Buckeye.

Roger Botting
Airhead, Airmarshall Ontario
Airheads BoD
BMWMOA

Check out the hospitality info

The hospitality committe is putting together a list of local restaurants. It is looking like there is going to be real fun and lots of choices.

If your coming on the Ohio turnpike then Tony Packos is only about 10 min from I280 exit. Take 280 north to Front St turn right, at the first light its on the corner. Packos was made famous by "Klinger" on MASH, the have even sent Packos dogs and sauce with astronauts on at least one mission. There is a carry out across the street that has Rolaids.

In Lima, there is Kewpie. They are a diner style hamburger joint. The best one is downtown, you will pass one to get there on your way from the rally. Supposidly Dave Thomas (Wendys) copied them. They have the best malts and burgers around.

If you get off the slab and get into Amish country then just about any amish style resturant will do, as long as you like meat and potatos. But remember that the "real" amish places arn't open Sundays.

Most Ma & Pop places are good, it's hard to stay open with a bad reputation.

Doug Mc Gee

Skyline Chili

You have got to try Skyline Chili. It is great! They have resturants all over the state.

Ok, not to get too serious here, but from this thread all I can determine is that there really isn't any good, unusual, regional or other interesting food and I might as well be eating at Denny's.

I mean, if you asked me about food in LA, I could tell you about the interesting local fast food places (Tommy's, Pink's, Cupid's, Burger Continental in Pasadena). But I could also tell you about good, interesting places to eat as well, like the Original Pantry where the former mayor Richard Riordan eats, or one of the great cuban restaurants around town like Versailles. And I haven't even lived there in 15 years.

DarrylRi said:
Ok, not to get too serious here, but from this thread all I can determine is that there really isn't any good, unusual, regional or other interesting food and I might as well be eating at Denny's.

I mean, if you asked me about food in LA,

Agreed. I just want to know in LA is Sushi Nazawa still there?

I can steer you a little bit in the Columbus area, which is about 100 miles away. I don't ride toward Lima often, because the good roads are S and E of my house. Here are a few places that I like to pig out.

Schmidt's Sausage Haus( http://www.schmidthaus.com/ ) in Columbus's German Village district has excellent German food. Try the cream puffs.

Around the corner from Schmidt's is a place called the Thurman Cafe that has excellent burgers. In fact there are a bunch of excellent restaurants in that area. http://www.digitalcity.com/columbus/entertainment/venue.adp?sbid=105240672

Cameron Mitchell has a variety of good restaurants in the area. www.cameronmitchell.com/

There are a lot of japanese estaurants in the Columbus area, since Honda manufactures cars, and motorcycles in Marysville. I don't eat much Japanese food, so no specifics.

There is also the G & R Tavern in Waldo, that has a very good fried bologna sandwich.

Tom's Ice Cream Bowl in Zanesville, OH was listed in a USA today top ten list for ice cream. It is also within 5 miles of the fabled SR 555.

There are also a lot of local Amish Restaurants that always have excellent pie.

Finally my local watering hole Brew's Cafe in Granville, OH. They have great pizza cooked in a wood fired oven, (Pizza is available after 5 pm). www.brewscafe.com :drink

Lots of local non-chain restaurants but you better pack those bagels on the scoot, don't know of any here!

Great Little Burgers

If you happen to find yourself in Urbana Ohio, on SR 36 just west of the "main square", stop in at Crabills for a couple of their burgers. They are tiny little things and you can eat a few, but the are outstanding. Just make sure you bring your Lipitor....:~)

Dan

Somewhat east of Lima is New Riegal,home of the New Riegal Rib House.Been a while since I've been there,but they are famous in NW Ohio.Anyone know anything about "Beef and Bourbon"in Lima?They had a pig roast for the flat track races but we missed it.They have an interesting web site,something like "beefandbourbon.com" :brow

I live .5 miles from the Beef And Bourbon; decent place, fun, has a big bar/dance floor there, too. Just off the corner of Breese and Shawnee Roads in the Shawnee suburbs southeast of Lima.

At the Solstace ride we had all kinds of cased meats made by the Amish. They had a really different flavor from what you are used to because of how fresh the meat is, and because they weren't near as greasy as the stuff you get in the stores. Also when we went out and rode I had a trail bologna sandwich that was pretty good. It's another Amish thing that they make that supposedly can last for a while unrefrigerated. It has different spices and stuff in it that makes it unique, but still pretty darn good.

True Americana

Not all that far from Lima is Greenville, Ohio for a true piece of Americana visit the Maid Rite Resturaunt in Greenville. This is not fancy eating. It is more like the little places you find/found along Rt66 is the old days. They aren't to my taste but my X's family loved them. http://www.datasync.com/~w8je/maidrite.html

Non-chains;
Again, Burgundys in Lima is good and fun. On Cable Rd. in Lima.
Also The Bistro on Main in the downtown.
Ribs; Old Barn Out Back on W. Elm St. in Lima.
Subs; Joeys on the Square
Burgers; The Kewpee downtown on Elizabeth.
Coffee and sand/soups at The Meeting Place on Market St.
Milanos on Elida Road for non-chain Italian.
There are two Thai places, one on South Main, and one on Pine. Yummy and offbeat.
The Silver Shamrock on North Main for Irish pub fare.
Ribs, The Red Pig Inn in Ottowa, 20 minutes north.
Quick fresh diner fare; Happy Daz is a small local chain, clean.
Pizza; Fat Jacks, couple of locations.
Chinese; several. I like Mark Pi's on North Street.
Destinations; Columbus is rampant with good places. Dayton has the famous Pine Club for steaks. Find it online, it is amazing.
Inn of Versailles in Versailles Ohio is a worthy destination and nice riding, 45 minutes. If you seek specific food or ambience, PM me and I'll steer ya right.

MBB

Back