• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Crossing Nevada

JohnM

I'm not sure I'll attend the 2013 Rally in Salem. But if I do, it'll involve riding to & from the East Coast.

That being said, my route will involve crossing Nevada, either coming or going.

I'm currently considering crossing (eastbound) Nevada from Lee Vining, over to Tonopah, then Caliente, Panaca, and Cedar City, UT.

Being this will involve the summer desert heat, is this route OK, or should I be looking at crossing farther north?

Comments appreciated, expected, ... and anticipated!

JohnM

Ya need to ride the Extraterrestrial Highway... NV 375 southeast out of Tonopah. Very remote.... With views so long you can see the curvature of the earth. Stop in for a beer at the Little Ale-in.

Standard hot weather riding techniques apply:

- start very early
- seal yourself off from the wind (mesh = not so good)
- moisten whatever you're wearing under your suit
- hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!!

Ian

Last edited:
Be sure to top off fuel at Tonopah before heading to Caliente. Taking the ET Highway you will travel 192 miles with no gas stations. If you are running low you can divert south on 93 to Ash Springs which is 153 mile from Tonopah. You may get less than usual fuel range due to high winds that are often part of the area. In spite of this it is a terrific ride on very lightly traveled roads.

Oh, get an alien burger at the Little Ale-in:brow

It might not be as hot as ya might think, most of the way the elevation is what, 3k+ feet?....... if I remember right.

And the run from Tonopah is only about 120 miles till gas in Rachel, (unless the Rachel gas station closed) elv there is well over 4K foot. I once made that run in just a hair over 1 hour!

Nevada is fun and you picked one of the best ways to cross it.

Wait till you hit the whoops on 120, what fun!
i-74QwJ63-Th.jpg

I rode that last year, didn't think it was hot at all. We left Merced, went through Yosemite & then down to Caliente. Cedar & Zion are awesome down that way.

Thanks Guys!

I appreciate all of your input.

I have an R1200R, so the Tonopah-Caliente leg shouldn't be a problem fuel-wise. (I don't plan on breaking speed records while doing it.):)

FYI, Rachael hasn't had gas for a few years. This is my usual route to Utah.

As others said temp shouldn't be too hot due to elevation range between 4000 and 5500 ft.

Bring adequate water to stay hydrated like any other summer travel.

ET Highway/Rachael;

It gets hot sometimes, to 104* last year as I rode thru Rachael. Private campground in CalienteNV, West side of town is good grass camping. Rare for Nevada, grass! If you cross Nevada further North, ELY is another fine camping spot, KOA:). All nice grass. 6000' in Ely. Cool nights. It can RAIN too in Nevada quite often in Summer months, believe it or not. Micro bursts, most of'em. Very nice cooling effect. Randy

Back