• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How long should a clutch last?

macstudley

Ambassador since 1984
I have a 1984 R100RS that I bought new. It has 170K+ and it still has the original clutch. I bought new clutch parts over ten years ago when I worked at a dealership.

I have over 400,000 miles on my clutch on my R100RS, still had lots of material left when I measured it 16,000 miles ago.

We ride 2 up a lot and pull a Bushtec Trailer!

I have over 400,000 miles on my clutch on my R100RS, still had lots of material left when I measured it 16,000 miles ago.

We ride 2 up a lot and pull a Bushtec Trailer!

That's amazing. I plan for this to be my last BMW.
Aren't you an ambassador?

How long should a clutch last?
400,000 miles??? !!! Wow.
185,000 miles!!! ??? Not bad at all.
I have seen a new clutch last one weekend. Of course, that was a teenage girl learning to drive a stick.
(Oh, not a BMW clutch.)
dc

Airheads magazine has a non stop ad from a clutch service so somebody is starting & shifting more than the 400k/500k miles e.g.?:lurk
My 51k project /5 is a "spring chicken" perhaps?

I'll have to change to the new Ambassador Avitar. Now, if only I could only figure out how to do that.....

Go to Settings in the upper right. Select Edit Avatar on the left. Unfortunately, the new avatar Darryl is using he made himself...or something like that. It is not part of the standard avatar set. If he will send you that avatar, then you just use the Settings panel to upload it.

Back