• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Georgia Mountain Rally

tf78933

MOA #188066
Made it up to the rally Friday afternoon but didn't even pitch a tent. After riding all day in the rain from Florida, after we heard the weather report of flood warnings, 4-8 inches of rain, high winds, we got a hotel room and headed back to Florida Saturday morning. So, what did we miss? How bad was the weather? It looked as though it rained non stop through Sunday. From what we saw of the rally Friday afternoon, looked like the event had a lot of potential. Would like to know what we missed.

The GMR was the Regatta not Rally this year. The sponsoring Club and its volunteers did a great job and I will be back next year rain or shine. I elected not to pitch my tent in the rain and drizzle and roughed it in a motel in Helen, GA so I could enjoy the ride to and from the Rally each day. That short stretch of Rt 17 that starts just north of Helen brings a smile to my face each time I get to ride it. Saturday evening (after 9:00PM) was a bit more challenging due to rain and patchy fog going from Hiawassee back to Helen. Sunday going home there was steady rain until just North of Wrens, GA. It was sunny skies and dry roads all the way home with greats memories of friendships renewed and fantastic scenery. Note: The steak was delicious. Hope all attendees made it home safely.

RIDE SAFE

Weather was not as bad as expected. Almost no rain at camp until Saturday afternoon. High winds challenged those not properly staked. One tree down. We rode to Suches and Helen Saturday, lots of rain down there and a chilly 45. We had a break in the rain Sunday morning just long enough to pack up. Miserable ride home in pouring rain, steady for 8 hours.
Event was best in recent years I thought. I loved the music indoors where the acoustics are better, Speeches were short and sweet.
Few vendors this year but a couple of new ones. Missed RPW. Many folks droves cages to the ceremony which was interesting. I want a new rule on drawings, you must be present and have ridden a motorcycle to win :). Prizes were awesome although I had no luck.
We skipped the cookout in the monsoon, ate in town, back for the entertainment. I am not sure if the bonfire happened, I was dry and cozy in my tent by then.
Turnout was much higher than I expected given the forecast.
All things considered, glad we went, great time.

GMR Rally

Attendance Stats

Updated records this evening.

Final actual attendance for the 2013 GMR was 417 people (approx 375 bikes, of which approx 82% were BMWs; 18% other marques).

90% of bikes were ridden solo; 10% two-up.

91% of riders were male; 9% female.

95% of passengers were female; 5% male.

The mean age of attendee was 58 years years old regardless of gender.

Mac McEnheimer

The GMR was the Regatta not Rally this year. The sponsoring Club and its volunteers did a great job and I will be back next year rain or shine. I elected not to pitch my tent in the rain and drizzle and roughed it in a motel in Helen, GA so I could enjoy the ride to and from the Rally each day. That short stretch of Rt 17 that starts just north of Helen brings a smile to my face each time I get to ride it. Saturday evening (after 9:00PM) was a bit more challenging due to rain and patchy fog going from Hiawassee back to Helen. Sunday going home there was steady rain until just North of Wrens, GA. It was sunny skies and dry roads all the way home with greats memories of friendships renewed and fantastic scenery. Note: The steak was delicious. Hope all attendees made it home safely.

RIDE SAFE

We also stayed in Helen. Rt 17 was a blast, even though it never dried out. We will be back next year. This was to be the first time my girlfriend ever camped, so I elected not to pitch a tent because this would have also been the last time she camped. Waiting for the Biltmore in June.

Back