• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Side Stand (replacement) for 1995 R100R "Classic"

D

DPMBOXAIR

I have lived with the OEM side stand on my R100R for far too long. (Since it was new in 1995). Seems to me that it would be quite handy to simply deploy a side stand that won't spring back up on it's own. (Of course, I use the center stand pretty much all the time, but would like to be able to dismount my bike with the extra security provided by a side stand that will stay down until I decide other wise. And yes, I understand the "logic" of having the spring keeping folks from riding off with the stand down. (I just don't feel I need that extra "help" as I've survived just fine so far on the other bikes I have owned that require paying attention).
All inquiries about a Brown or equivalent replacement with various parts people (and others, at dealerships) have yielded nada.
Seems there is no "listing" that would indicate a product for my bike.
So: To be clear, this bike is very similar to the GS and Mystic versions of the same era. In fact, it was produced for at least a few years (even if mine was a "Last Edition").
One would think somebody has successfully found an available stand I could use.
A possible hangup: The pivot point on the factory stand is integrated into the left-hand "crash bar" (cylinder guard), but looks like it could be easily removed without buggering anything.
In any case, I would be most appreciative if someone has insight into how to acquire/fab/invent/whatever a side stand I can use. I have reasonable fabrication skills, but would prefer not to go off on that route if there is a simple solution I have yet to hear about.
Has anyone replaced the (pretty useless) side stand on a '90s-era R100 Airhead similar to mine?
Thanks to anyone who can help.

It's like the GS, but the Mystik actually has a different system because there is no crash bar. Granted, the Mystik stand self-retracts also but it may be easier to modify than the GS/R stand. The bracket is shockingly expensive from BMW but there is an aftermarket version available from Germany.

There are a few aftermarket GS stands, some of them are downright awkward or ugly but you need to be the judge of that. Surefoot and Flying Tpot come to mind, but there are others.

Here's a thread on ADVRider about this: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539035

I checked Surefoot...it says specifically no R100R. Flying T-Pot also does not list the '95 bike as a model he supports.

There used to be someone who made the attachment for this and I bought one. You just give it a kick and it stays down. Unfortunately, someone else bought one of these and instead of taking responsibility for his own neglect in putting it back up he sued the person making these and put him out of business. If you can find an older MOA magazine about 6-7 years old you can find an ad for Schneiders quick fix.

I just bought the classic Brown side stand for my 1995 R100RT from Shails Motorcycles ,now of Fort Langley(a suburb of vancouver).I agree,the stock stand is hopeless and ridiculous.Not sure where he got it,but they are out there.Did you try Bob's BMW?

http://shailsmotorcycles.com/

Being a big fan of Brown stands, I tried to fit one on a GS. It just would not fit due to the differences in the rear setup, foot pets, etc. I thing the same is true for the R100R.

I have replaced 3 stock sidestands on my 3 airheads:71 R75/5.84 R100RT and 95 R100RT with the Brown. The older bikes are now in the hands of others.My karma cup runneth over.I did have to weld an extension on the Brown to make it fit the 1971,but the others were a simple replacement.

The R100R of the OP may be completely different,I would certainly defer to Anton's knowledge.

I do have 3 ratty original stands,I was thinking of welding them into a triskelion of some sort;but if someone actually wants one,feel free to let me know.

Below are images of the Brown sidestand on my 1993 R100R. It was put on the bike by the previous owner. Note that I do not have engine guards fitted to this bike. I think that Nathan at Boxerworks-Service was the person who made the necessary modification to a ?stock? Brown sidestand to make it fit this application. I think that it looks good and it certainly functions well. However, to my eyes the bike leans a little too far on the stand (I use/have used Surefoot sidestands on my dual-shock and monolever airheads ? not as pretty but very robust). I hope this provides some inspiration.

ss_up_02-1_zps9008a9e8.jpg

ss_up_01-1_zps251f8cb0.jpg

ss_down_02-1_zpsd05e91c5.jpg

ss_down_01-1_zpsaf41a90c.jpg

Farley Side Stand

It took me awhile to find the proper side stand for my mono shock R100RT (have Brown's on all of my twin shocks).

Try this as after 15K on my bike this really fit the bill.

Farley Side Stand, 616-896-8469, Robert VanFarowe..These people are GREAT...They will probably send you the stand first and if you like it you send them the money...atleast that is what they did with me...unheard of and a quality stand.:dance

Mark, when I tried to fit a Brown to a GS I tried to use the rear bolt. I never even though of the front bolt. Your extension to the rear is the same basic idea that I did with my extensions to the front of my bikes. Great job to who ever did the project. I passed up a great low mileage 93 GS recently because I could not get my foot on the factory side stand to put it down, and I am getting too old to dismount and hold the bike while putting the stand down. I think I will think about another GS with this modification. I stand corrected, thanks again.

Wayne

Last edited:
Brown works

I have a Brown side stand on both of my bikes. On the 86 R80RS is mounted in its intended purpose. On the 92 R100R I had to modify it. I had to cut an oval out (to clear the shifting mechanism) and instead of mounting it on the front engine mount, I mounted it on the rear. I did have to adjust the shifter lever as well. Once I had it mounted I thought I was all set.... not so. The bike leaned over way toooo much. I began cutting on the original stand and had a welder add metal and strengthen the cut. Cleaned it all up, painted it black (the mount) and it is all good. Would I do it all over: yes I would. I am not a welder, I had to take it to a shop to get done and you need help with the lean angle. The good thing or hard thing is that you have to cut the existing weld, which takes patience. Flying T-pot does make a stand for it, but he builds them in batches and I could never hook up with him. I resorted to building my own. Satisfaction: priceless.

Airhead Sidestand

I have the Surefoot on all my Airheads. It's personal preferance but I find the Surefoot most secure and easiest to deploy.

Thanks to all

Hello All, This has been enlightening. I appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses. As of now, there seems to be no concrete easy solution to this issue, but I will pursue the various suggestions. Meanwhile, I have successfully adapted the solo seat and rack kit for a R100 GS to my R100R, so improvements are taking place. Hopefully, we will all see the results in Salem.
Best, Dave

It took me awhile to find the proper side stand for my mono shock R100RT (have Brown's on all of my twin shocks).

Try this as after 15K on my bike this really fit the bill.

Farley Side Stand, 616-896-8469, Robert VanFarowe..These people are GREAT...They will probably send you the stand first and if you like it you send them the money...atleast that is what they did with me...unheard of and a quality stand.:dance

The above is the "concrete easy solution to the issue" Period.

I wish.

The above is the "concrete easy solution to the issue" Period.

I phoned Robert this morning. He told me there was a brief period (long ago) when he had what I need, but they did not sell - and were thus discontinued. So, no solution from that avenue, concrete, easy or otherwise.

R100R sidestand remedy

I've also been trying to find a replacement for the self retracting sidestand on my R100R. A BMW tech i deal with mentioned one that incorporates two springs but he can't remember the manufacturer. Does anyone know about a sidestand like that?

This is a pretty old thread...newer answers were in the thread you started the other day.

However, Motobins offers a two-spring replacement as part FRA10601. It self-retracts however.

Back