• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Wheel Bearing

R

RIDERS

My wife and I both have 2012 G650GSs and I have 13,000 miles on mine and today we took the wheel off and had bought a tire on line and took it to the Harley Honda dealer for them to mount it for us as they have done for the last 20 years. Our BMW dealer only carries original equipment tires and charges list for them plus charges $60 to mount and won't mount a tire not bought from them. Anyway, the mechanic that mounted it checked the bearing and had me turn it and it was notchy and said not to ride it. We were so surprised that a bearing could be bad at such low mileage. We called the BMW dealer and talked to the mechanic and he agreed not to ride it so we are taking the wheel to them Tuesday to repair. We have almost 800,000 BMW miles between the 2 of us and have never had a wheel bearing go bad with a couple bikes going past 100,000 miles. The BMW mechanic said the chain could have been too tight but we took it to the Dealer for the 600 mile service and we haven't tightened the chain since but we check it and it has stayed within the range of what it should be for the slack. Is this a problem with the G650GSs? Prior to these bikes my wife had a F650GS twin and put 58,000 miles on and we changed the chain and sprockets at 24 and 48 thousand miles and the chains were still good at that point. Prior to that I had a couple 800s with belt drive and then all previous bikes were shaft drives. We like the small size of the G650GS but dislike the chain drive.

My wife and I both have 2012 G650GSs and I have 13,000 miles on mine and today we took the wheel off and had bought a tire on line and took it to the Harley Honda dealer for them to mount it for us as they have done for the last 20 years. Our BMW dealer only carries original equipment tires and charges list for them plus charges $60 to mount and won't mount a tire not bought from them. Anyway, the mechanic that mounted it checked the bearing and had me turn it and it was notchy and said not to ride it. We were so surprised that a bearing could be bad at such low mileage. We called the BMW dealer and talked to the mechanic and he agreed not to ride it so we are taking the wheel to them Tuesday to repair. We have almost 800,000 BMW miles between the 2 of us and have never had a wheel bearing go bad with a couple bikes going past 100,000 miles. The BMW mechanic said the chain could have been too tight but we took it to the Dealer for the 600 mile service and we haven't tightened the chain since but we check it and it has stayed within the range of what it should be for the slack. Is this a problem with the G650GSs? Prior to these bikes my wife had a F650GS twin and put 58,000 miles on and we changed the chain and sprockets at 24 and 48 thousand miles and the chains were still good at that point. Prior to that I had a couple 800s with belt drive and then all previous bikes were shaft drives. We like the small size of the G650GS but dislike the chain drive.

Important note: Anything can be bad at ANY mileage. The very fact that BMW's come with a warranty is automatically telling you their parts break sometimes. If that were not so you would have no need for a warranty. Things made by man break. Wouldn't think twice about it unless your dealer states there are unresolved issues with the bearing within a VIN range.

Well, go to ADV riders and search, BMW apparently has a machining issue in front and rear hubs, in that the bearing bore is too small, there is supposedly a bulletin. Unfortunately my 2010 was out of warranty, so I had to fix it myself at 14K.

I got my rear wheel bearings replaced today and they warrantied it; the service manager said he had never had wheel bearings go bad under warranty so either they are lasting longer than 3 low mileage years or surpassing 36,000 miles. The mechanic said ride and don't worry!

Back