• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bad Ignition Switch

Atomic City Boxer
Well Gents, I think I have finally found the source of my electrical gremlins...The ignition switch. I have thought about replacing the key switch with a toggle switch (hidden of course). Is this do able?
Since the key switch has three positions...(I would prefer to have just on and off...forget the 'parking light' position), can I wire it into a standard toggle switch?

Which of the four wires would I use? And which would I dis regard?

I pulled the ignition switch and found that the base (where the terminals are) was loose. I 'undimpled it' and pulled the terminal plate off and found that, not only was the contact surface loose; allowing a sketchy contact with the electrical switch 'arms' inside...but also that the entire internals was heavy with a slimy oil film. No doubt this is because I (foolishly) shot lubricating oil into the key part to help with a sticky mechanism.

All is cleaned, reassembled and a liberal dose of JB Weld to anchor the base plate firmly...Tomorrow we road test....

That's a good story. Good job finding the problem (a bit tricky) and in fixing it by repairing the "unrepairable" switch. Nice.

Barron

The switch is actually a beautiful piece of engineering. These intricate little levers etc.
I tested it out this morning and all is well. I think what happened is that the 'bakelite' type material that makes up the base gets brittle over time, causing it to loosen up and wiggle. Plus the filty contacts...A cleaning and JB Weld did the trick. Beats spending $$ for a new switch)

Back