• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

new battery initial charging question

I have this installed (indicates 12.9 vdc w/ motor off).

Where is this voltage measured? Directly at the battery or somewhere else in the circuit?

As for that 60% indication; 60% of what? I can tell you it isn't an accurate capacity measurement if that is what it is supposed to signify.

It may be 60% of a voltage range. That range would be 11.4V (0%) to 12.8V (100%), for example.

the indicated voltage with the engine running is about 13.4

Even at idle, that is far too low unless you are at some elevated temperature (120 F).

You should always be at 14 - 14.2 volts. I noticed my oilhead GS battery voltage sits there and I at first wondered why it was a tad low. A GEL cell which is what the OE battery is labelled should be 14.2V.

NOTE: battery charge voltage is temperature as well as battery type dependent and that is critical for long life.

I noticed that after going to the YUASA site. They state the YTX14-BS is an AGM.

The question remains, where is the valve if this is a Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) battery?

On the subject of VRLA batteries...many people think AGM and GEL batteries are "sealed". Sure, most can be laid on their side, but they are not sealed; no battery that I know of is "sealed".

The AGMs that I work with, the 6T group for tanks, etc. are pre-filled and sealed. Each cap is valve vented.

On the batteries I have recently purchased at least some of the valves have been in one end or the other of the top. A small circular area about 5mm in diameter. I only noticed them after one of my old batteries was seriously overheated and I could see what looked like gray gauze or foam in that circular vent. On that battery at least it was a one-time release - overpressure blew the little vent open and then of course, it wasn't sealed any more.

By the manufacturer? Perhaps by the battery vendor. At least for motorcycle batteries. Yuasa MF (maintenance free) sealed VRLA batteries require "activation". That includes the YTX line which use an Absorbed Glass Matt separator. See page 26 of the Yuasa tech manual. http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/TechManual_2009.pdf

Yuasa is not the only manufacturer who does not pre-fill their battery. Keeping the batteries dry until put into service increases their shelf life. Some vendors pre-fill the battery before they ship it to you.

Actually, the Yuasa "YTZ' batteries come pre-filled.

I wonder if that is actually an AGM battery.

Where are the individual valves located. I remember filling one just like it. There are no valves in the strip that is pressed into the top of the battery.

A video on filling this exact model battery. They say it is an AGM battery and show the caps and filling system.

On the batteries I have recently purchased at least some of the valves have been in one end or the other of the top. A small circular area about 5mm in diameter.

My BMW Exide GEL battery that came in my R1150 GS Adventure comes to mind. It has a small rectangular slit at the top. But then if it is a VRLA, it should have a valve.

Valve is listed in this diagram from page 24 of the Yuasa manual linked earlier in the thread.

valve.jpg

Last edited:
can i get the folks with analog 12 vdc meters to report

can i get the folks with analog 12 vdc meters to report their voltage readings during cruise?

thx,
ed

can i get the folks with analog 12 vdc meters to report their voltage readings during cruise?

Why an analog meter, or do you mean the BMW voltmeter that comes on some models?

I can tell you the one on my R65 was wired in incorrectly. It was on a current carrying wire that had a voltage drop when the load was switched on. The result? An inaccurate voltage reading. There is a trim pot that I was able to get to through a hole in the metal case. I adjusted it accordingly to give me the correct indication (battery voltage) when the load was switched on.

My present voltmeters are wired directly to the battery for a true voltage indication.

But to answer your question, at cruise (actually, even at idle):

2003 R1150 GS Adventure: 14.2V
1995 Porsche Carrera: 14.2V
1990 Toyota Tercel: 14.4V - the original battery was 16 years old when I sold the Tercel.
1999 Honda CR-V: I don't recall, but the original battery is now in its 14th year.

Oh, and all of them except the one in the BMW GS are flooded lead acid...by choice.

And they say batteries don't last. :laugh

That YTX14-BS is what I put in Voni's F800S in January, and I had to fill the battery.

:banghead Watching that video jogged my memory. Come to think about it, I filled one of these batteries earlier this year for one of my co-workers. I just never made the connection to an AGM.

thanks, gl

i'll check the gage on the bike against a (cheap radio shack) multimeter

if the the number is still low, that sounds expensive.. :(

just did it,

ignition off:

bike gage / radio shack multimeter
12.8 vdc / 12.79 vdc

ignition on/ prior to start:
bike / multi meter
12.5 / 12.46

engine at idle:
14.5 / 14.5

so I guess i'm okay?

Last edited:
i'll check the gage on the bike against a (cheap radio shack) multimeter

if the the number is still low, that sounds expensive.. :(

Why expensive?

You can always wire it to the battery and use an inline switch to turn it on and off...or use a small relay activated by the taillight.

ya mean to turn off the bike mounted gage?

I was concerned the the charging system voltage was low...it seems to be okay, right?

Back