• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

IBMWR renege

jforgo

There were some bags advertised on IBMWR. I emailed the guy that I wanted to buy them, and that I needed shipping cost. Paypal was fine. He says he was going out of town, and would catch up the next week. When he came back, he wanted me to figure freight. I sent him numbers based on his weights and dimensions, and asked him to verify it all loked good, so could pay and finish the deal.
Then he comes back, says he was offerred more for them, and would I like to bid more money for them; that was I as interested as someone else supposedly was I told him I was very interested until the deal sudenly changed, and that I do not conduct business that way.
I am not sure which amazed me more; that this was apparently a member of the BMW commmunity, or that he didn't seem to see what was wrong in changing terms after the sale offer was accepted.
Are we getting more people like this?

As a percentage of the population I'm sure the the number is roughly the same. We just hear about it more often now that "we" are so connected (internet).

And I'm just as sure the seller has no compunction about asking you for a for a higher price, even though he "closed" the deal with you. With regard the "the BMW community"... what's so righteous about people who ride a particular brand of motorcycle? Human nature, is human nature.

In 1976 I went to work for an individual well known in the motorcycle industry. We had a fire at our factory in Illinois and many of the bikes stored at the plant were drug outside and summarily dumped to save them from the inferno; they laid out in the snow for weeks before we could even think about retrieving them. One bike in particular caught my eye (a Bultaco 250 Alpina) and I spent a week of free time cleaning it up and getting it running again. I approached my boss with an offer for the bike, which he accepted and I told him I'd bring the cash in the next day. I caught up with him the next morning and offered him the agreed upon price; three one-hundred dollar bills. His response was, "there's one more thing, you need to clean up my 350 Alpina and get it squared away as part of the bargain". I folded up the cash and put it back into my pocket and told him, "No sale, a deal is a deal". He looked shocked. I worked for this person for another four years but never had the same respect for him from that day forward, and I've never put a person up on a pedestal since.

It has seemed to me, overall, that the BMW people have been more trustworthy than average. That the acts did support the words. At least such has been my experience. I guess this guy is an exception.

Some other riders do seem to have mostly big mouths, often with little content. I wouldn't want to say it is because of brand, but I am observant.

I agree with you, a deal is a deal, and needs to be followed thru on principle. I don't put people on pedestals, but I do have certain expectations.

Some people consider a deal-a-deal and their word as their bond. Other people will grab one more buck if they can, their word be damned. Greedy is as greedy does.

Pick your friends, and those you choose to do business with carefully!

When I sell something I price it to sell. I got alot of calls and messages when I was selling my K bike. I had some one offer me a few hundred less than I was asking. This was sight unseen offer. it was the first 'real buyer'. He was two hours away and couldn't come until the next day. I told him it was for sale to others until he arrived with the cash. I was upfront about it, and he knew it. If another buyer beat him to it, I would have called to tell him it was sold out of courtesy, but I wouldn't have asked him to make a better offer. Thats not how I do business. Not fair to the person who is standing in front of me with cash in hand. And coincidently, (sp?) when I buy things, I expect the same situation. If I am 'beaten to the punch', so be it. I think the OP's situation could have been handled better by both parties.

Since it was a 'purchase by mail', the shipping should have been determined immediately, and an agreed time frame for the monies to arrive. If the money didnt show, then all deals are off and start all over.

The sellers 'Im going out of town...catch up later' excuse sounds lame, as postage can be figured in a few seconds on the internet, and money can be sent wit Paypal in about the same amount of time...buyer should have pinned the seller down, or maybe be thankful the deal fell through?

This is just another example of ones word being their bond. I lived in Nevada in the fifties, sixties and mid seventies. In the early years a handshake was a legal contract. By the 1970s the Californians had moved into the state in such large numbers you couldn't trust anyone. I left and ran away to Oregon and recently have found the same problems with immigrants from the south.

Actually, it might have been worse if I had sent the money, with a ship estimate, right away. Then where would I have been when it suddenly became an "auction"?

This is just another example of ones word being their bond. I lived in Nevada in the fifties, sixties and mid seventies. In the early years a handshake was a legal contract. By the 1970s the Californians had moved into the state in such large numbers you couldn't trust anyone. I left and ran away to Oregon and recently have found the same problems with immigrants from the south.

hmm, aren't you an immigrant from the south? :whistle

I wrote a big rant to this idea that "people that move here" "or belong to" "or own this" have this or that character issue but please give me an award for sparing you the words-lets just say that I heartily disagree!!!:nono

The idea that owning a brand or paying certain dues or being from a certain place has character inferences is flat wrong! That's the kind of stuff that breeds contempt for a brand or a club or ? Sure doesn't float at my house.:deal

I wrote a big rant to this idea that "people that move here" "or belong to" "or own this" have this or that character issue but please give me an award for sparing you the words-lets just say that I heartily disagree!!!:nono

The idea that owning a brand or paying certain dues or being from a certain place has character inferences is flat wrong! That's the kind of stuff that breeds contempt for a brand or a club or ? Sure doesn't float at my house.:deal

+1, Gunny; Hear you Loud and Clear Brother kantuckid, certainly doesn't fly with Sergeant Stanley either!

OFF TOPIC: kantuckid, just wanted to let you know that a bunch of us are riding to Mexico for my 65th Birthday in October. http://www.fjriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=275&hilit=Mulege

To clarify,

The "pedestal" I referred to was that people should conduct themselves in a manner that I had been raised to expect. Life shows us otherwise.

Yes, I do agree with you. While I have been favorably impressed in my interactions with other BMW riders; I do not think the membership or ownership confers something on anyone. Something I have disliked about the Los Angeles, or SF Bay areas, is the large number of people who seemingly "are" their "stuff". The "look at me, I am something because my car is less than 3 years old, I eat at all the right places, my clothing is so cool because it has all the matching Nike swooshes, I belong to the right HOA and gym, I (say) I just read the trendiest book, my motorcycle makes me macho" etc etc - people who have essentially tried to "purchase" their whole ego and persona. All that external stuff does not help, and in the extreme I have laid out, may even inhibit, good character from developing or coming forth. Sleazy crass dishonest behavior cuts across all demographics.

The "pedestal" I referred to was that people should conduct themselves in a manner that I had been raised to expect. Life shows us otherwise.

Yes, I always hope for the best, but stay ready for the worst. When the good things happen , it is a pleasant surprise to be very thankful for.
Perhaps one might say it is correct to ethically expect the right behavior, but pragmatically doubt the occurrence of it at any given moment. And isn't this the sort of outlook which keeps us alive in our two wheeled travels?

Actually, it might have been worse if I had sent the money, with a ship estimate, right away. Then where would I have been when it suddenly became an "auction"?

Yep, that's what I meant when I said maybe you were lucky the deal fell through! :)

Yes, I always hope for the best, but stay ready for the worst. When the good things happen , it is a pleasant surprise to be very thankful for.
Perhaps one might say it is correct to ethically expect the right behavior, but pragmatically doubt the occurrence of it at any given moment. And isn't this the sort of outlook which keeps us alive in our two wheeled travels?

:thumbWell put!:thumb

Yes, I do agree with you. While I have been favorably impressed in my interactions with other BMW riders; I do not think the membership or ownership confers something on anyone. Something I have disliked about the Los Angeles, or SF Bay areas, is the large number of people who seemingly "are" their "stuff". The "look at me, I am something because my car is less than 3 years old, I eat at all the right places, my clothing is so cool because it has all the matching Nike swooshes, I belong to the right HOA and gym, I (say) I just read the trendiest book, my motorcycle makes me macho" etc etc - people who have essentially tried to "purchase" their whole ego and persona. All that external stuff does not help, and in the extreme I have laid out, may even inhibit, good character from developing or coming forth. Sleazy crass dishonest behavior cuts across all demographics.

The above comments are in tune with my observation of much what I call "posing", that's all to common in our society. I suppose we can blame advertising or Hollywood movies or video games or whatever but it's the "at home parenting part" that can be the denominator in this all.
You can bet your bottom dollar that my kids(in spite of their educations,jobs & all that kind of "stuff") don't walk away from the simple pleasures in life & respect for all .
I live where much of this LaLa land property & "stuff" as you say are non-existent but it doesn't mean that locals attitudes are always in the best direction. As a guy that 1st owned a BMW car(one of the status symbols we speak of) in 1969 I have always adhered to the fact that I'm a "greasy BMW guy" & certainly not an "uppity owner". It's my little escape from BMW "aura" that some attach. The Roundel(and the other high end machines) is unfortunately something that's in the posers realm of having class.
E.G. for this "uppity crap":
There is a scooter (my latest 2 wheel disease) for sale on ebay now that's painted Ferrari red & has the horse stickers on it & the seller is a Ferrari dealer(the cars are in the background)-the whole 9 yards of uppitiness exemplified & it is just a simple scooter, mind you, that's been repainted red & had stickers added & people are bidding like crazy. No, I don't want it but my point is that it appears that the paint & stickers are making it sell.
and I told myself not to rant:banghead

Sheesh - Unnecessary hasty generalizations. I could say California was the same until the XYZ folks came in (or is that a Pace Picante commercial)....etc. Times have changed, people's behaviour has changed, their prior address has little to do with it...slime balls have been around everywhere forever, if we are lucky, we can avoid contact with them. In my business, I am generally lucky. But I get the rare bad one as well and location of origin has nothing to do with it.

Had something similar happen. An acquaintance of mine was needing an expensive operation...not covered by Ins. So he' selling things to raise $$. I offered to by a Hannigan trailer @ the price he wanted. He said great. I send a check...well he didn't make it. Well @ that time I'm not going to bug his wife about it, coming to get it,etc. So everything on hold for a period. Next thing I know [months later] my check ! is returned....she got a better offer...not a huge deal, I didn't loose any money...just thought it was hinkey ?

Back