• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

07-09 R1200GS vs. 10-13 R1200GS

jgp1854

I'm looking at acquiring a new to me GS, not sure if I should go with 07-09 or opt for the 10-13 (not the GSW's). I previously owned an 07 R1200R, and with help from this forum have become sufficiently skilled to do the majority of service work. Which to some degree points me in the direction of the early year models. What I'm asking is for your opinion on the 10-13 model year GS's vs. the 07-09 GS's;

are they better and if so, in what ways?
How difficult is it to adjust the valves using the shims?
Any other input is appreciated

Thanks

'07GSA owner:)

Still much happiness with my 5 years old GSA1200'07 I bought in Feb.'08 new at dealer. I approach 100000m this Summer and I would buy this bike again, no doubts! Shims are clearly harder to swap out, I have done'em all, vs. tappets. BOTH are nearly bombproof and need little adjusting if ever. The newer models have a tad more HP, but no other advantages I see. I fully intend to ride this '07 a few more years with no questions in my mind:). I vote, go older, save some bucks. All choices are good, so its a no loss thing here! Just money? PS; I just added new offroad LIFE to my GSA with Heidenau Tires. WOW WOW, how much better offroad:). Never went TKCs for obvious wear life, but they are very popular too. The 50/50 Heidenau's are very impressive for this avid offroader. Randy

If you have the $, get the newest one possible. I've had every year since they came out in '04 and each one was a bit better. My current '12 is the best yet.

2012 R1200GS Rallye

Pulled the trigger on my GS, picked it up used, 2400 miles, in excellent shape. Now looking at lighting, tank bag, GPS mounts etc. Any suggestions from this group would be appreciated.

thanks

Great choice, congratulations on your 2012 Rally. As far as tank bags personally I don't care for the big ones. I feel RKA offers perhaps the best ones and they're made here in the U.S. They have a 13 liter one with a 4 point mount which works well on my GS and DR650. For just a GS the 3 point version would be a little more convenient. I also use their tube strap covers just to make sure a strap can't scuff the paint.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02 Tankbags/tank.html

Back