• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wethead service checklists

Why would they replace (and not just check), the spark plugs at 12k miles? I have over 30k on my current plugs and they look and perform as new.

I don't know the answer.

However, on my hexhead the plugs were typically worn beyond the max 1.0 mm gap at 24K miles -- the BMW recommended service life. Sure, I could probably have re-gapped the plugs and put them back in the bike, but why? I put in new plugs then mostly forgot about them for the next 24K miles.

Perhaps I feel that way because 24K miles is about 2 years worth of my riding that bike. If I were putting 30K/year on the bike I might feel different.

An advrider member has posted the pdf's for the 600, 6K, and 12k service checklist for the 2013 R1200GS WC that he got from his dealer.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21319940

Keep in mind these are live documents and are subject to change. Given this is a first year motor there very well may be changes as time goes on and they discover issues they didn't anticipate. Ideal scenario is to ask a dealer to print up the appropriate doc for you when you're ready to perform the service.

Thank you for the heads up on the current documentation.

The 2X shorther interval has to be based on either 2X the spark frequency or higher energy causing faster gap erosion.
All modern BMWs will start and run with gaps opened way beyond the wear spec- but at the risk of costing a coil. Not really worth it.
I own a hexhead and agree with marchyman- my mearuements and photos put the plugs slightly over the gap wear limit of 1.0 mm at 24K miles. I use an alternate plug- same as the factoryy one except it has a platinum electrode and is a lot cheaper because its commonly used in BMW 6 cyl cage motors so is at every parts place..

Keep in mind these are live documents and are subject to change. Given this is a first year motor there very well may be changes as time goes on and they discover issues they didn't anticipate. Ideal scenario is to ask a dealer to print up the appropriate doc for you when you're ready to perform the service.

Thank you for the heads up on the current documentation.

I'll keep the documents up to date as I receive changes.

For now, direct links:

LINK TO WETHEAD SERVICE SCHEDULE!

Link to Tool Lists Download in Word Format!

Link to Valve Chart!

Link to Torque Values!

Jim :brow

The spark plug replacement interval was halved upon transition from hexhead to camhead. The plugs on the later models are much smaller. There's less material to erode in the first place.

Back