• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100RT Clutch Switch Removal - Tool?

ChrisM47

Couldn't find a previous message about this.

How does one unscrew the clutch switch on a R1100RT (99)? It is surrounded by the handlebar switch clamp, and quite tight. Needle nose pliers won't break it loose.

I'm getting ready to cut a groove in a 11mm socket... but maybe a tool exists for another job I'm not aware of???

Any advice will be appreciated!

Couldn't find a previous message about this.

How does one unscrew the clutch switch on a R1100RT (99)? It is surrounded by the handlebar switch clamp, and quite tight. Needle nose pliers won't break it loose.

I'm getting ready to cut a groove in a 11mm socket... but maybe a tool exists for another job I'm not aware of???

Any advice will be appreciated!

There is a tiny little screw. Underneath the switch. It's black and so is the housing so tough to see.

You're thinking of the brake switch. The clutch switch you just break off the end and then use a deep (or better yet, cutaway) 11mm socket to remove the body. Thread the new one in lightly; no need to even tighten it because the cable will keep it from unscrewing.

Clutch switch replacement

You're thinking of the brake switch. The clutch switch you just break off the end and then use a deep (or better yet, cutaway) 11mm socket to remove the body. Thread the new one in lightly; no need to even tighten it because the cable will keep it from unscrewing.

Thank you Anton.
Once I removed the assembly it was an easy job, but I had to buy a thinner wall 11mm socket from Sears as the Mac socket wouldn't fit.

The 11 mm sears 6 pt 1/4 in drive deep well works well with a cut down one side to clear the wires. I needed to remove a good one from my parts bike so cutting the wires wasn't a good option.

Back