• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mini Air Compressor

I run the pump off the factory 12V plug on my RT and have never had a CANBUS "blown fuse" issue :)

When I first bought my bike I used the inflator I keep in my car. It would work for several seconds then the CANBUS would interfere and disable both factory outlets, throwing a code in the computer. After cycling the key the computer would reset but the inflator would again, trip the outlets. Subsequent research showed the 5A limitation for the factory outlet, I have been looking for a compatible inflator since.

Being that your bike is a 2007, do you know the maximum amp draw allowed for your outlets? Do you know the amp draw of the inflator you are using?

Thanks in advance.

Scot

Subsequent research showed the 5A limitation for the factory outlet, I have been looking for a compatible inflator since.

5A is the GS limit. The RT is reported to have a 10A limit. I don't have a copy of the RT manual on hand to verify.

FWIW my cyclepump draws around 5A -- it will run from the accessory socket unloaded. When actually attached to a tire it starts pulling more than 5A. Glad I did my initial test by actually trying to put air in a tire.

5A is the GS limit. The RT is reported to have a 10A limit. I don't have a copy of the RT manual on hand to verify.

FWIW my cyclepump draws around 5A -- it will run from the accessory socket unloaded. When actually attached to a tire it starts pulling more than 5A. Glad I did my initial test by actually trying to put air in a tire.

Now I feel a little silly, you are right about the RT and 10A limit. I just checked the owner?s manual and sure enough, 10A for "all" sockets. I am just not sure if that is in anyway divided between the two for 5A each.

Now all I need to figure out is how the draw changes from unloaded to loaded i.e. pump running when not filling vs. running while filling.

Any ideas on how this can be determined?

I believe the sockets are in parallel, giving you a total of 10 amps in any configuration you like. If you are pulling 10A from one you've got nothing left over for the others.

A good multimeter will let you measure current up to about 10 amps. The issue is that you have to break the circuit to put the ammeter in series with the load. In this case it's probably not worth the effort. Turn on bike. Plug in pump. Pump up tire. Did the bike turn off the outlet? If not you are under 10 A. Is the exact amount really important? I don't think it's too much of a hardship to turn off other electrical farkles during the 3-5 minutes it takes to pump up a tire.

We have a couple of these: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Slime-40001-Air-Compressor/p7627.html
that I picked up on sale for 10 bucks at an auto parts store.

I use them all the time. Much more convenient for putting a couple lbs of air in your tires than a big compressor. Just hook it to a powerlet adapter, plug it in and you're set. Often gas station air compressors don't work or don't fit our wheels....so this allows us to inflate anywhere. I've used it on the side of an interstate as well, to get to the next ramp where the tire was flat again.

I'd say the regular price is OK, but if you can, wait for a sale.

Nancy

Great idea Nancy. Thanks for sharing.

Back