• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dynabeads Tire Balancing- Good or Bad?

And you, evidently, do not know otherwise.

I do. I know that mine are perfectly balanced and can prove it.

But some of us know that the internet is the greatest source of unconfirmed information.

Just look at some of the utter junk aka gear that appears on this and other forums with members praising how good it is without any technical knowledge. That recent voltage monitor comes to mind. And then there are those battery maintainers. Let me roll my eyes. LOL

I do. I know that mine are perfectly balanced and can prove it.

But some of us know that the internet is the greatest source of unconfirmed information.

Just look at some of the utter junk aka gear that appears on this and other forums with members praising how good it is without any technical knowledge. That recent voltage monitor comes to mind. And then there are those battery maintainers. Let me roll my eyes. LOL

You are right there, and it's not just limited to the internet!

However, I have a friendly offer for you. With a tag of GlobalRider, you must certainly have a larger than average sense of adventure. Will you take a chance on this? I'll purchase, for you, enough Dynabeads for one of your bikes. Install them when you put on fresh tires and give them a try. Let your friends ride it, not knowing that there are Dynabeads installed, ask their perception. Make your own observations. At least you can say, "I tried 'em". As a disclaimer, I am not associated with Dynabeads, do not know anyone associated with Dynabeads, and have no interest in the company, except as a satisfied customer. I just believe they work, and offer you a chance to try them, at my expense.

PM me with the info I need and I'll order the Dynabeads immediately for shipment directly to you. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is....will you take me up on the offer?

Thanks,

Here is another classic example of advice/info without any substance...an e-mail received from another coworker at work...

Hi Alex,

Thanks for looking into that. I was actually talking to my buddy Rob at (name of shop removed) Motorcycle Repair. He was saying that there's a school of though that welding cable should not be used for alternators or winches. He wasn't sure why though??? Something about the numerous strands??? What are your thoughts on this?

My coworkers (techs and engineers) just had to :rolleyes.

Welding cable has a very high strand count which results in a very low resistance and therefore very low voltage drop per unit length. As an added bonus, it is extremely flexible and has a good layer of insulation. I really don't care what cable it is, as long as it has a very low resistance...usually cable with extremely high strand counts.

When you have a winch drawing 435 amps at full load, you want as close as possible...zero resistance cable.

Will you take a chance on this? I'll purchase, for you, enough Dynabeads for one of your bikes.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I can't confirm how well they will work. My present system works.

I work in a lab and used to work in a standards lab for fifteen years. Guessing or assuming was not part of our daily routine.

If they work for you, fine. Just don't make any claims without an actual measurement. All that matters is that you or any other user is happy with them.

With static balance do tires stay in balance (after say half tread life wear) w/o periodic re-balancing? :brow

I don't lock up my tires and flat-spot them.

My very even tire wear and mileage obtained when it comes time to change them tells the story. But I'll measure them the next time out of curiosity.

I wonder, does the ON carry an advertisement for Dyna Beads? :brow

The last set of tires I had put on my '93LT were loaded with the Dynabeads. I had the shop leave the old stickon weights in place. Rode this way for a two weeks without any notice of balance issues. Removed the stickon weights and could not tell a difference when riding. No, I didn't have any fancy sensors to monitor vibration. All I had was my ass and it was good with the Dynabeads. I am about ready for new skins on the old girl and you can bet there will be Dynabeads installed.
Jeff

For the ultimate in balance and protection for my wheels, I filled them with gremlin bells. I have never felt more balanced and protected at 130 MPH.
Only kidding don't try this at home.

I get better entertainment from bead threads than oil threads as they break new ground at times.:thumb:lurk FWIW, you don't have to be a hot rod type rider/ driver or racing use to have tires that become out of balance after substantial use.

I used them for awhile and thought they were a pain in posterior come tire changing time. I change all the tires on our 4 bikes and find using a traditional balancer is simple, effective and less messy.

FWIW, you don't have to be a hot rod type rider/ driver or racing use to have tires that become out of balance after substantial use.

Possibly. But then using beads, your tire is out of balance every time you start from a stop and who knows if they are in balance at the end. Unimportant to me since I don't use them.

Lets talk about product evaluations, be it on forums or even in the Owners News.

Some time ago I read a product evaluation on a pair of gloves on ON. Not a single word was mentioned if the lining at the finger-tips is attached to the inside of the glove. Ever pull your wet or damp hands out of a pair of gloves and the fingers came along with them? Ever try to stuff them back in in a snap...good luck. Who ever wrote up that incomplete evaluation had no business evaluating them in the first place. Its not a feature I should have to ask if it is taken care of.

BTW, are all or most product evaluations of products, products that are "advertised" in the ON?

On another forum, a vendor introduced his new battery charger & maintainer that promised you the world. A spiffy looking colorful charger going under the name Save-A-Battery. Yup it even load tests a battery as well. It took me a while to find out how a device that small and compact can do a load test at 1/2 the CCA. Well it doesn't; it does a 20W load test...yup, about as much as a turn signal bulb...less than 2 amps. :rolleyes

And then it charges all types of batteries: SLA, GEL, Dry Cell, AGM and Spiral Cell. Well if it is built to charge a GEL, then it is on the low side for other batteries. The company did not provide their charging algorithm values when I asked. Proprietary information which I could easily get from a data logger in my lab at work.

Of course the usual lemmings on the forum flocked to buy it for a while, till they knew otherwise.

You see, one should not question things. When people question, that means they are thinking. You own government hates it when you think. That is why they give you Hollywood. :laugh

If you've never used Dyna Beads you have no valid input here! I'm surprised you ride a motorcycle instead of a proven and tested horse!
They're not messy. When you dismount the tire just scoop out the beads with a cut off plastic bottle and pour them into the next tire. Way less mess than gluing and cleaning off old tire weights.

Tire Balancing

If you balance the rims first and then install the tire you willfind may tires need little or no weights at all. I lived in the north for may years and access to a changer but not a balancer so I drove without balancing the tires and never had a problem.

Possibly. But then using beads, your tire is out of balance every time you start from a stop and who knows if they are in balance at the end. Unimportant to me since I don't use them.

Lets talk about product evaluations, be it on forums or even in the Owners News.

Some time ago I read a product evaluation on a pair of gloves on ON. Not a single word was mentioned if the lining at the finger-tips is attached to the inside of the glove. Ever pull your wet or damp hands out of a pair of gloves and the fingers came along with them? Ever try to stuff them back in in a snap...good luck. Who ever wrote up that incomplete evaluation had no business evaluating them in the first place. Its not a feature I should have to ask if it is taken care of.

BTW, are all or most product evaluations of products, products that are "advertised" in the ON?

On another forum, a vendor introduced his new battery charger & maintainer that promised you the world. A spiffy looking colorful charger going under the name Save-A-Battery. Yup it even load tests a battery as well. It took me a while to find out how a device that small and compact can do a load test at 1/2 the CCA. Well it doesn't; it does a 20W load test...yup, about as much as a turn signal bulb...less than 2 amps. :rolleyes

And then it charges all types of batteries: SLA, GEL, Dry Cell, AGM and Spiral Cell. Well if it is built to charge a GEL, then it is on the low side for other batteries. The company did not provide their charging algorithm values when I asked. Proprietary information which I could easily get from a data logger in my lab at work.

Of course the usual lemmings on the forum flocked to buy it for a while, till they knew otherwise.

You see, one should not question things. When people question, that means they are thinking. You own government hates it when you think. That is why they give you Hollywood. :laugh

Your pontificating again

No Balance?

I have been mounting my own tires for a LONG time now and just got away from balancing at all!!! I use the factory red dot marks to align tire to rim/valve stem still but nothing more:). In about 15-20 tires now, I have had NO balance issues at all and not a minute wasted in balancing any of them. All this talk and time on balance and nobody even gives a thought the tire may NOT need it. Mine have not! I like the tire beads idea, never having used them, but cool idea. Why wouldn't even something as simple as water in the tire/wheel work??? We use water in our tractor tires all the time on the ranch, but not for balance issues. Seems to me the beads work the same as any equal amount of liquid in the same place:)???? Anyhow, ya'll should consider riding your bikes a while before wasting your time with a balance, just maybe you get a surprise. Randy

I have been mounting my own tires for a LONG time now and just got away from balancing at all!!! I use the factory red dot marks to align tire to rim/valve stem still but nothing more:). In about 15-20 tires now, I have had NO balance issues at all and not a minute wasted in balancing any of them. All this talk and time on balance and nobody even gives a thought the tire may NOT need it. Mine have not! I like the tire beads idea, never having used them, but cool idea. Why wouldn't even something as simple as water in the tire/wheel work??? We use water in our tractor tires all the time on the ranch, but not for balance issues. Seems to me the beads work the same as any equal amount of liquid in the same place:)???? Anyhow, ya'll should consider riding your bikes a while before wasting your time with a balance, just maybe you get a surprise. Randy

Good Point...

I have changed my tires three tires now with Dyna-beads... it is neither a trouble or a chore... i ride dual sport and super slap highway... never ever a problem...

Take a deep breath everyone... relax... you may not know as much as you thank... and if you did... wouldn't it be a really boring existence?

Good to see that someone has web working in OK City!:thumb

As tires wear that wear is often not even, thus the possible need to re-balance a tire that may have been perfect at the time of mtg.
Hey, what about the liquid to balance notion? Is a fluid going to move to slow to cause the desired effect?:scratch

I use the factory red dot marks to align tire to rim/valve stem still but nothing more.

I do the same in that I use the red dot but I do not "assume" that the tire valve is a particular area to which the red dot should be aligned with.

That is why I place the rim on my balancer to find the "actual" heavy spot of the rim. And even at that, I need to use weights. I'm also not about to de-mount the tire numerous times to find the best combination.

You might want to check your balancer. When your wheel is balanced (stops at random locations) and you then place a 7 gram (1/4 oz) weight on it and rotate the wheel one-spoke width to either side and it swings back to the bottom, you know your balancer is sensitive. Do the trig.

I have used Dyna Beads on several bikes, and even 35 inch truck tires. Love them. Best thing about them is no slung weights or duct tape repairs on wet muddy rims. I have even placed the heavy point mark any where on the rim on purpose, dumped in beads and good to go. Just wanted to see if they worked as advertised. Keep an extra 3 ounce bag in with tire kit and tire can be changed any where.

Back