• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Float pin replace or not to replace

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I'm rebuilding my carbs and purchased new floats, but not float pins. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. The float pins have a about 13,000 miles on them, and I figured they'd be alright. However, they are a little discolored where the old float was, and I feel a little ridge or something on them. Not much, but a very slight amount. I was hoping to save a little $$ by not replacing them, but it now looks like I should now be replaced. The pins seem somewhat loose, so I'm wondering if I really need to replace them.

In this case, I think I'm looking for advice, which is defined as I already know what the answer is, but don't like it.

Edit: I'm not worried about the discoloration, but included it just in case. I gently removed the pin by pushing it out making sure the knurled end came out first. My real concern is that there is now a distinguishable ridge where the float would ride, and I'm wondering if the float could hang up on it. Looking back, I was a bit too brief in my description.

Last edited:
I can't imagine why the pins would really need to be replaced. Discoloration can't be a real problem. If they're loose, replacing them probably won't help that. The pins are knurled on one end...if they're forced out the wrong direction, there's a possibility that the holes in the bosses that accept pin will be come enlarged. IIRC, the pin should be removed by pushing on the end that has the knurling on it.

I'm rebuilding my carbs and purchased new floats, but not float pins. I'm beginning to think that was a mistake. The float pins have a about 13,000 miles on them, and I figured they'd be alright. However, they are a little discolored where the old float was, and I feel a little ridge or something on them. Not much, but a very slight amount. I was hoping to save a little $$ by not replacing them, but it now looks like I should now be replaced. The pins seem somewhat loose, so I'm wondering if I really need to replace them.

In this case, I think I'm looking for advice, which is defined as I already know what the answer is, but don't like it.

You do not need to replace the pins unless damaged.

I can't imagine why the pins would really need to be replaced. Discoloration can't be a real problem. If they're loose, replacing them probably won't help that. The pins are knurled on one end...if they're forced out the wrong direction, there's a possibility that the holes in the bosses that accept pin will be come enlarged. IIRC, the pin should be removed by pushing on the end that has the knurling on it.

I'm not worried about the discoloration, but included it just in case. I gently removed the pin by pushing it out making sure the knurled end came out first. My real concern is that there is now a distinguishable ridge where the float would ride, and I'm wondering if the float could hang up on it. Looking back, I was a bit too brief in my description.

I'm not worried about the discoloration, but included it just in case. I gently removed the pin by pushing it out making sure the knurled end came out first. My real concern is that there is now a distinguishable ridge where the float would ride, and I'm wondering if the float could hang up on it. Looking back, I was a bit too brief in my description.

Two things:

1) Although I didn't parts book actually recommends replacement during a rebuild.
2) At 89 cents per pin why are you torturing yourself? Offer the dealer 50 cents and see if he'll take it.

Splurge and replace both pins.

Two things:

At 89 cents per pin why are you torturing yourself? Offer the dealer 50 cents and see if he'll take it.

Splurge and replace both pins.

I splurged, but they were pricey at $2.50 per pin at a local dealer that stocks them. Still (at $5.50) it's worth the peace of mind. The closest dealer charges closer to the fiche price except all parts other than routine maintenance are a special order that takes 1-2 weeks depending on when you place the order.

Back