• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

09 R1200R Oil Out RH Airbox

markforshee

Last October I had the failed fuel strip changed by the dealer in Canton, MI and since then a friend noticed oil seeping out from the RH side of the air box, where the tube exits the air box, to the engine. I asked the dealer if there was a possibility if they had pinched a vacuum line when they reinstalled the tank and they were mostly silent. They also said not to worry about it and there was a drain plug in the bottom of the air box to drain any oil that did accumulate. I couldn't find the plug, couldn't get the air tube to separate from the box even with the clips pulled and finally gave up. I wiped it off, drove another 50 miles and the oil reappeared. Anyone with any experience in this issue?

Not directly, but have you verified that the oil level has not been Over-filled a bit? That's a common cause of airbox oiling.

Like this, right?

7563552044_6c4f79c128_b.jpg

The inside of your airbox is likely splattered with engine oil from overfill, and it's pooling at the bottom of the air box, thus the seepage. Don Eilenberger had to clean out his, too. I'm fairly sure this was caused by filling to max (as BMW advises) site glass. The problem? I did it with cold engine oil -- it heats up, expands, splatter city.

Since I began filling to the center dot on the site glass, and only after riding, the oil on the seam hasn't reappeared.

Gee, that looks like you snuck into my garage and took a photo of my bike. When I changed the oil I did put in the recommended amount of oil and it's just above the center line of the sight glass. I'll let it blow down a little and see if it stops. Thanks!

Like this, right?

7563552044_6c4f79c128_b.jpg

The inside of your airbox is likely splattered with engine oil from overfill, and it's pooling at the bottom of the air box, thus the seepage. Don Eilenberger had to clean out his, too. I'm fairly sure this was caused by filling to max (as BMW advises) site glass. The problem? I did it with cold engine oil -- it heats up, expands, splatter city.

Since I began filling to the center dot on the site glass, and only after riding, the oil on the seam hasn't reappeared.

No matter what level in the site glass, until you clean the inside of the air box, you might continue to see oil seepage on the throttle-side seam. If you remove the air filter, you can reach inside to wipe up the droplets. Soaking up the pools at the bottom of the air box requires some hand gymnastics, especially if you have large hands. And don't be a boob like me and drop your Surefire LED inside the airbox.

overfilling - my 2 cents

Too much oil can lead to foaming due to mechanical agitation. Foaming leads to oxidation and air entrainment in the lubrication system. both are bad, but I'm not sure how bad. I wouldn't run that way.
It's worth a double or triple check.

Back