• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

checked valve clearance on my 2010 r12 @ 6k mi

f14rio

the clearance was fine. has this been the experience of most owners here? i'm thinking maybe its because i'm an old fart (67) and drive like one.

Common:)

You have a bucket shim system, mine the '07 with tappets. BUT, not any difference in what you found. I am at 95000m now, with only the slightest valve adjusts or none during that period. My last 2 checks were NO adjusts:). They rarely get out of adjusts. Same with all my past bikes for a decade or more now. These newer engines are built better perhaps than our old days! That said, I have a '78 R100/7 since new with ORIGINAL valves at 388000m now, wow. Enough said:). Randy

I've read several posts by Hexhead riders saying they have not had to adjust valves on bikes with 40-50k miles. My R has 24k and the valves have stayed in spec. I just did a service on a friends RT with 42k and it had three intake valves that were a little tight. So, not uncommon for them to be in spec at 6k.

Throttle body sync is another area that seldom needs adjustment.

At my recent 600 mile service (performed all items myself) I adjusted two valves, one intake and one exhaust, that were both right at the edge of the range. I also did a throttle body sync using both a GS-911 to lock the steppers and a TwinMax, it is noticeably smoother now.

I could have left the two valves but I feel better now knowing they are in the center of the range. Anyone familiar with that feeling? ;-)

2010 RT Valve Adjustment

I have 65,000 k on my bike and so far the valves ar still in spec. I check them every 20,000 kms just to make sure.

Back