• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1963 r69s success!*

The good news- I decided to give it one last go. Took the carbs off, cleaned everything (but I can't say it looked too bad, blasted the jets and passages, put it all together, 3 count tickle, 3 kicks key out, 2 kicks key in, and success!

What's more, it continued to start with one or two kicks!

But here's the asterisk. Huge oil leak from the riders right base gasket, and I think I know why. Flat bottom on the cylinder, and I'm using the metal gasket. The other side has the ridges, so it's oil tight. I guess I have to get the paper gasket...

Thanks to everyone with the advice!

I saw your R68S versus R69S...I edited the title if that's OK.

Define huge. Duane discusses the "old" and "new" cylinders here:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/cylinder/

If you have a new engine case, you should have new cylinders in order to take advantage of the additional oiling BMW decided to include. Something to be aware of in your case.

Duane also says that the metal gaskets can be used on either. But I think you should have a thin film of sealant. I just got finished using Permatex Ultra Gray on my /7 top end overhaul. Thin is the operative word.

Glad you made progress. :thumb

New style, flat bottom

Nope, it's new all around. Thin layer of sealant( perhaps too thin), but the base of the cylinder is flat. Per the barrington book, these require the paper gaskets. The style that has the concentric raised rings on the base can use the metal style.

The leak is a solid drip, more with higher speed. They said it might weep, so I took the gamble. I'm ok with a little weeping, but this was more like sobbing!

Success, part 2

I got my parts from vech, and a nice 2 hours later, an oil tight bike!
I actually waited a few days to allow the gaskets to seal, but after flooding the bike (here's a tip- if you have gas coming out the main and idle airways at the throats of the carbs, you've flooded the carb), it started happily!

Next step is that final tune; set idle speed, air screw (trying that color tune), sync the carbs, and (gulp) timing....

I'm still gun shy about riding it, but lets see if we can rebuild that trust....

Still looking good....

So I've only put about 50 miles on the bike, not going too crazy, and only had it up to about 50 mph, but so far, so good. Did the color tune, Synched the carbs, but frankly, I'll have to do that again. I had a problem with the throttle cables coming out from the slides; I think I have that all properly set up, and the spring pressure seems to be holding the cables tight.

The leaking cylender is not leaking, the bike starts as it pretty much should (this thing floods like texas!)

I think I'm gun shy about the timing getting too advanced, and another melt down. But, it all seems like it has come together. I guess the last thing I need to do is a final clean up on the bike, and I'll post a "happy" picture!

I want to thank everyone here for their help and advice on this project!:groovy

The hole in the road where I throw money!

Went on another ride, about 50 miles. Had it up to about 60, and it still felt and sounded good. Gassed up by my house, and the left side saddlebag was gone! Retraced the ride, it is gone. The worst part? That side had the original tool kit and keys for the steering lock and tank storage! I had a spare set, so that was replaced, but the loss of the tools stings....

I feel like a broken record- not my fault!! I never messed with the bag!!

So, I'll be calling vech on Monday. I think I need to go front to back over the bike this week.

Bummer...what kind of bags? As for tools, I didn't have any with my R69S so I got one from Vech...it barely fits in the side of tank tool tray. On my R25/2, I decided to just buy the pouch, and trolled many of the pawn shops in town and was able to find just about everything I needed. I was especially looking for the open ended wrenchs that had say 12mm on one end and 14mm on the other. Two wrenchs in one. Keeps the total number of tools down.

I know the feeling when things fall off, but maybe not like that. My little R25/2 is quite the vibration machine. So far, I've had three things depart the bike due to vibration. I've kind of learned now to do a pre-flight just about each time I get off or on the bike to keep up with any changes. Until you get comfortable with every junction, nut, bolt, you might have to do the same thing.

Bag & Tools

The bag was a Square Butler & Smith repro. You can still get them. Turns out they are only held on by one bolt with knurled top inside the bag. They have two sets of brackets that go over the frame, but don't lock in.

I always keep an eye out for these tool kits used. Always pricy. I also made up a set, but used regular tools, and put in a roadgear tool roll. Much bigger than the factory kit, but "it's not the same!!"

I got the vech tool roll on my /5. I had the original tools, but the original roll itself was plastic, and had rotted away to the point that there was no point keeping it for the sake of "originality".

Oh well, let's just hope that this is the last of it for this bike!

Good samaratin found the bag!

Did I luck out! The bag was found about 2 miles from my house. Barley scuffed up, some of the threads were pulled out on the lid, and the buckle is a little scratched up, but I think a trip to the shoemaker will take care of the scuffs and thread, and the buckle, well, I hope some fine polishing will take care of that. But the tools were there, everthing looked good.

What saved me was I had a receipt in the bag, with my address on it. I read in the MOA that you should put a sticker with your contact info on your bags - they do fall off. How true!:clap

What a great fortune! :thumb And go buy a lottery ticket!! Now to figure out how to secure the bags.

Back