• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Salty fog riders rally 2013

Last year was more than a little 'moist' and windy on our ride after enjoying the sun in Larry's River. This year the forecast is especially hopeful and likely to be sunshine..... as this forecast suggests

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/canada/nova-scotia/larrys-river

and then further on to Cape Breton Island it looks like this.....

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/canada/nova-scotia/ingonish :thumb

(thanks Wayne for buying all that new rain gear..... sun for sure now!)

The boat is confirmed (We believe that the owner is agreeing to $15 each), for a grand tour of the Bay and maybe ride the edge of the ocean. Mackerel fishing for all plus watching seals, relaxing in the sun and sightseeing on a working lobster boat (with washroom LOL). Bring home yer catch and cook over some coals (as if we didn't have enough food!). This is a picture of some of the catch from the 2011 rally......

We have our passports ready, credit card companies notified of travel, cell company arrangements for Canadian service and data service, paper maps of NB, NS, and PEI, riding and off bike gear for just about any weather, and fresh oil and filter in the GSA. I need to load appropriate maps into the Zumo.

We took my iPad out to dinner with us last night and we sat at the table looking through the photos from past events. We are looking forward to our first trip to Nova Scotia.

I hope its not too late to get a t-shirt.
Tom

We have our passports ready, credit card companies notified of travel, cell company arrangements for Canadian service and data service, paper maps of NB, NS, and PEI, riding and off bike gear for just about any weather, and fresh oil and filter in the GSA. I need to load appropriate maps into the Zumo.

We took my iPad out to dinner with us last night and we sat at the table looking through the photos from past events. We are looking forward to our first trip to Nova Scotia.

I hope its not too late to get a t-shirt.
Tom

t-shirts.... no medium right now but some larger sizes remain. Chat with you on the other email Tom! Have a couple of other update notes coming your way.

Still some room left for anyone who, needing just one more memorable ride for the season, would like to join us. - Bob

Last edited:
Since we just got on the subject of these fine shirts, Mary just went to check shirt inventory and the result is, at $20 each (plus shipping):

1 small
3 large
5 Xlarge
1 Xlarge with print on back
1 2Xlarge

That's it. Not sure when next batch will be printed.
- Bob

Just got back from the Moto Guzzi Inter-National Rally in Lavigne, Ontario and getting ready for the SFR and Nova Scotia.
Weather or not, we'll have a good time!
See you there,
Nick

Just got back from the Moto Guzzi Inter-National Rally in Lavigne, Ontario and getting ready for the SFR and Nova Scotia.
Weather or not, we'll have a good time!
See you there,
Nick

A good time? That is certain..... and bring your appetite! The weather looks more pleasant than what we experienced last year. Some sprinkles seem to want to pester us on the 4th but we'll see. Weather here is somewhat of a crapshoot anyway. Some locale updates:

The road to Meat Cove is in good shape (according to the campground owner) and they have reserved a camp spot for us with the best view. And this year the Chowder Hut is serving up some tasty fries, burgers, chowder etc. :eat

Breakfast is waiting for us in Pleasant Bay on Friday the 6th at the Mountain View Motel and Restaurant

In Larry's River we have arranged a two hour fishing boat tour for sightseeing and jigging for mackerel ($20 cash each).

This year Fortress Louisbourg celebrates 300 years. Our campground hosts in Louisbourg now offer a little shuttle service to take those interested in touring this amazing fortress (shuttle $2 each). That will save on walking around with riding gear or leaving loaded bikes in the parking lot.

Tomorrow I will post the full schedule for the ride with GPS coordinates and times. - Bob

oh-man, look at the time---In Ottawa right now delivering a bedroom set, I need to get back to Mass and pack on Thursday, so I won't be late to the Salty Fog! :ca

..... YOU CAN ALMOST SMELL THE SOUP! :eat WITH LOTS OF GOOD FOOD TO FOLLOW. WITH ONLY A FEW DAYS UNTIL START, SOME FINAL 'CHORES' ARE BEING TIDIED UP AND WE HOPE THAT THE WEATHER GODS WILL BE KIND TO US THIS YEAR.

FOR THOSE INTERESTED (who knows, you might be in the area and join in somewhere on the road) THE SCHEDULE IS:

(MY APOLOGIES FOR THE BLUR BUT IT'S LATE SO I'M NOT GOING TO PLAY WITH THE PRINT. ENLARGING WILL MAKE IT MORE READABLE.... OH WELL).HOWEVER, IF YOU WANT A COPY JUST EMAIL ME FOR CLEAR COPY.

STAY TUNED FOR THE RIDE REPORT IN A SEPARATE THREAD LATER IN SEPTEMBER!:clap Later, Bob

Last edited:
Nova Scotia Map

The very best map of Nova Scotia is free for the asking at the Welcome Center in Amherst. You can't miss it, and it's a good place to stop.

Good point Tom. However, the Motorcyclist Guide to Nova Scotia is no longer free from the Tourist facility. You can get this excellent book at bike shops though for $5 I think. If you are a AAA (CAA member here) you can pick up the Nova Scotia map as well as the 'hard to find' map of Cape Breton (tourism may have it though:dunno - Bob

I plan on leaving NJ on Friday early am, camping somewhere in VT on Friday night and in Alexander ME on Saturday night. Should arrive in Larry's River on Sunday afternoon. The camping locations may change depending on whether I'm tired or not.....:eat. See you there

I plan on leaving NJ on Friday early am, camping somewhere in VT on Friday night and in Alexander ME on Saturday night. Should arrive in Larry's River on Sunday afternoon. The camping locations may change depending on whether I'm tired or not.....:eat. See you there

Enjoy a safe ride and see you Sunday.

Speaking of :eat ..... we now have one gallon of freshly picked black raspberries and one gallon of freshly picked blueberries..... that should do it methinks! (refer to application picture previously posted on page two). And, although Mr Three Bowl John is unable to attend, his namesake soup is evolving for yet another taste filled year.

REMEMBER.... The difference between Adversity & Adventure..... is ATTITUDE !!!!!

.....and looking at the current weather & forecast.... you's guy's need to load up on good attitude!!! That SOUP will help!!!! That and camping under
the Tor Bay stars... however "chilly" it may be. Just wait till later this week; you'll wish for August again! I recommend more SOUP, even if from
Tim Horton's!! Having a HAM tomorrow in honor of the best on earth....your's in Larry's River. Can you tell I wish I were there...
Hope everyone, regular's & newby's have a great Salty. And may the "Edge of Earth Gathering"... be of pure adventure.

"three bowl" john

Hope all is going well for the Salty Fog riders.

Family commitments kept me from going and I was bummed.

But a torn retina last week made me glad that I was home and not on the road.

Looking forward to trip reports (either the truth or lies).:laugh

And ....

....when Bud couldn't go " I " made commitments, and couldn't go.... that's half truth... but if Bud went I was trying harder!
I really hope the eye trouble is on the mend Bud... I hope you feel well enough to make your club rally in mid September.
With the maritime weather they're "enjoying"... the trip report should be a dandy! Maybe just like last year...
Remember though Bud; many photo's are taken under "idea" conditions... but Mary & Bob "have" the other... "adventure" shots!!!

"Travel'n" John
13 R12RT....Salty multi-year alum

....when Bud couldn't go " I " made commitments, and couldn't go.... that's half truth... but if Bud went I was trying harder!
I really hope the eye trouble is on the mend Bud... I hope you feel well enough to make your club rally in mid September.
With the maritime weather they're "enjoying"... the trip report should be a dandy! Maybe just like last year...
Remember though Bud; many photo's are taken under "idea" conditions... but Mary & Bob "have" the other... "adventure" shots!!!

"Travel'n" John
13 R12RT....Salty multi-year alum

John,

Salty Fog 2014 is on my calendar! :thumb

I'm going to be in Colorado for my grandson's birthday and will miss my club's rally.

But will be able to make the Wisconsin Dells Rally this weekend.

Bud sounds like You, Three Bowl John, and I are the first to BE IN on the 2014 Salty Fog, Get Well Young Man!

Back