• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1990 R 100 GSPD speedometer / odometer

chasmrider

not lost til out of gas
morning all, I was riding down the road yesterday and looked down, my speedometer, and odometer had stopped working. has anyone had this problem ? I am hoping it is a broken cable, but I haven't read my book yet. any help would be appreciated. thanks

A Common Problem

Most likely, the odometer's drive gear is still going around, but it is slipping on the shaft that it is pressed on to.

This is a really common problem - I've dealt with it three times on the same bike.

In the resources and links, there is a good link to a step by step guide for gluing the drive gear to the shaft. I did that, using JBweld. The third time it failed, I gave up and sent the speedo to Palo Alto Speedometer and they cleaned, lubed and re-calibrated the speedo as well as putting threads and a pair of small jam nuts on the odometer drive shaft. The drive gear is now pinned between two jam nuts so that it won't slip.

Read the instructions through before starting on the glue project - if you decide to go that route. I did not do that and pulled the needle off the speedo BEFORE I marked the drive magnet and cup to retain the original calibration. I had to do some test drives with a GPS to get the speedo set right. There are a ton of little screws to deal with when you disassemble and re-assemble the speedo - you don't want to do that over and over.

I used super glue when I fixed mine. It was still working 3 years later when I sold the bike. I also re-calbriated my speedometer while I was at it and had the needle off. The step by step instructions on the Airhead website is what I used, it took about 2 hours.

morning all, great news, broken speedo cable, I'll be back in the race this afternoon. thanks for your thoughts

Back