• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sending my Bing Carbs out for rebuild to..............?

brittrunyon

'92 R100GS
(I rebuilt the carbs on my '92 GS and it worked out great, but at the moment I don't have the time to do it myself so I'm thinking of out sourcing.)
I've got a 1981 R100 with Bing 40's & they need help.
Who's the best?
I wonder how much $?
Thanks

There was an article in the recent MOA magazine of almost the exact same ones you mentioned. I think the cost was around $600 for the pair.

Look up the article. They were sent to Bing USA.

Yes, I wrote the article and I am very happy with Bing service.

$655.42 which included the Independent Alcohol Proof Float Kit.

Gosh! The Bings are some of the easiest and quickest carbs to redo. You should really squeeze the time out of your schedule. I did mine on my R100S in half a day, maybe less.

Try Glen at Thoroughbred cycles 262-642-7111, he did my 40 mm bings for about 150.00 and he's top notch here in Wisconsin.No problems since!

Last edited:
Wow, $600, really? :brow
Thanks for the Glen connection.
My gut feeling is that I'll be finding the time.
Thanks for the info.

+2 on doing them yourself. I could easily find the time to save a few hundred dollars since it only takes a couple of hours to do the job. Unless you have worn throttle shafts, there is no need to do much more than clean (overnight soak) and replace the gaskets and floats (with newer style) and the diaphragms.

The one thing that I have yet to do on my carb rebuilds is replace the throttle shaft o-rings. Here's where I say to not completely dunk a carb and soak for long term. In general, I don't think these o-rings need to be replaced that often. It gets a little dicey IMO to remove the two screws holding the butterfly in place and then repeening them to ensure they don't loosen up and get sucked into the engine.

And don't forget the resources some of the members have provided in their postings about carb rebuilds...see the thread on Rebuild-Sites-with-Photos. Also, there are many other websites listed in the Resources-and-Links thread in the Carb Tuning and Overhaul section. Lots to give you visuals to guide you along.

Kurt, I never though about those O rings, maybe I got lucky with my over-night soak. I use de-natured alcohol that I get from Lowes, maybe it does not hurt rubber like a petroleum product would. I then use standard carb cleaner in a spray can to clean out the ports, etc. I have been doing this for years too?

Wayne

Where is that MOA discussion topic? I can't find it using the search feature. As I recall it was pretty thorough discussion too. Wasn't it finally decided that the butterfly screws could be secured with Loktite Blue? It's what I used and I'll tell ya, they're in there and they're not moving. Just do NOT use RED Loktite.

At some point you'll want to remove the shafts to determine it they are wearing to any substantial degree and that the o-ring is okay. I'd rather take them all the way down and know that the o-rings are good, than go through the whole ordeal and discover that "something ain't right" and have to do another tear down to find the gremlin that's affecting idle. But that's just me.

If you DO pull the shafts, remember to apply a tiny bit of lithium grease to the exterior of the o-ring so the shaft will slide into the carburetor body and rotate freely. Put it together "dry" and you may discover that the engine will not return to idle smoothly... . and I know this, how?

Fwiw, I just did two 32's for my R90/6 and with the bing DVD it was a piece of cake. The butterfly removal was easy but I spent probably 10-15 minutes fiddling with the reinstall to ensure I had it properly aligned. Not at all hard just frustrating. :)

Every o-ring on mine was brittle to the point of crumbling but my bike is almost 40.

If you do attempt it order new screws (stainless) for the carb tops and new butterfly screws as they don't come in the "standard" kit. $2.72 and it cost me more in gas riding around trying to find proper stainless flat head machine screws in 5mmx10 (I think that's right but don't quote me. :) )

Do it yourself. Take lots of pictures during disassembly. Sort your parts left to right. Takes 1.5 days if you soak things in the carb cleaner basket over night. Have CONFIDENCE!:german

P1040528.jpg

Gosh! The Bings are some of the easiest and quickest carbs to redo. You should really squeeze the time out of your schedule. I did mine on my R100S in half a day, maybe less.

Yes, I've wondered why "adept persons" would even consider sending them out? What do they do in Council Grove,KS that I cannot perform?
FWIW, I used to go fishing at the lake by same name, just up the road from there-pleasant little place with neat historical flavor...

Some people don't have access to good cleaning equipment, don't want to hassle with grinding and re-staking the screws, etc. Some people just don't want to spend their time fixing stuff; they just want the stuff to work.

gasgets,

Some people don't have access to good cleaning equipment, don't want to hassle with grinding and re-staking the screws, etc. Some people just don't want to spend their time fixing stuff; they just want the stuff to work.

Some people just want to have a good baseline to start with, and after 516,000 miles my bike deserved it.
I have changed many diaphrams, needles, seats, jets and floats but this time I went all the way.

Fwiw, I just did two 32's for my R90/6 and with the bing DVD it was a piece of cake. The butterfly removal was easy but I spent probably 10-15 minutes fiddling with the reinstall to ensure I had it properly aligned. Not at all hard just frustrating. :)

Every o-ring on mine was brittle to the point of crumbling but my bike is almost 40.

If you do attempt it order new screws (stainless) for the carb tops and new butterfly screws as they don't come in the "standard" kit. $2.72 and it cost me more in gas riding around trying to find proper stainless flat head machine screws in 5mmx10 (I think that's right but don't quote me. :) )

+1 on the rebuild kit and DVD from Bing. I rebuilt carbs on my 76 R90/6 and next up is my 93 r100R!:thumb

Mike Horne

Back