• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My 98 R1100RT don't like to turn..?

oldnslow

It's a way of life!
My R 1100 RT just seems to like to go straight and push through corners. My old 85 K100RT was quick and nimble in the corners. I just had to 'think' about going around a bend and the bike just went. The R1100 on the other hand seems to require quite a bit of physical input to make it go around the corners. Is the 'R' bike just that much more of a pig than the old 'K' bike? The K bike would be very neutral in a corner, once I set the line, it would stay on that line unless I changed it. the R bike seems to always want to straighten its self out, unless I keep constant pressure on the bars. :scratch

Tires.

Check your tires, if they are not Michelin Pilot Road III's then you have found the problem. Just kidding about the brand making all the difference. But seriously, it sounds like bad (worn) tires.

I sometimes have that problem in the spring when I am over anxious to ride and forget to check my pressures. This year I did it again. You know... "dang this bike is harder to push around. I need to get in shape!"
Following day I finally check the tires to find 30 in the front and 31 in the back. Uh huh....

I typically run front pressure at 40 and rear at 42 on my 94 RS. Very neutral feel to me, holds the line through the turns unless I want to adjust for more lean/tighter radius. Then all need to do is increase pressure on the "inside"grip and the bike instantly responds.

The R1150RT pulls to the right due to most of the fuel being carried on the right and insufficient rear wheel offset. I suppose the R1100RT is about the same. My bike became quicker turning after I changed the balance like this:

counterweights.JPG

Rear shock!

Raise the preload on the rear shock. A low hight will make the bike hard to corner, a high hight will make it dive in.
Give it a try!
Eddie

tires

Rear tire is squared, I will admit. Not worn to the bars, but fairly square.

Since you have had your tires for a while I would look to inflation pressure. I have noticed big differences between different tire models in how heavy the bike feels. I actually prefer the "over stable" feel where I have to lean on the bar to keep it in the turn. Most guys don't like that. I have found that a lower profile tire tends to make it more stable in a straight line and a taller tire will give a lighter feel and can even give it the "under stable" tendency to dive into the corner. You can deal with either one after a few miles. I usually don't have a passenger or full load so I tend to keep the tires at the minimum recommended pressure - can't remember the numbers but I think 36 and 41. This makes the tires, especially the back, wear more evenly and not square off so bad, and also gives the feel I prefer. I have also found that raising the seat to the highest position makes the bike feel lighter once it is rolling. If you have the legs for it that will make a big difference.

I have altered my "cornering" (hey no snickering) technique to compensate for the over-stable behavior - I point my chin at the inside mirror and poke the knee and elbow out toward the inside, bending the elbow so my head and shoulders move that direction. That puts the necessary weight onto the bar and feels natural to me.

My 98 R1100RT always reminds me when it's getting near time to replace the tires. It becomes increasingly reluctant to turn. I just replace the tires and it's a new bike again. :)

That's the first place I'd check.

I can admit to my stupidity..

I sometimes have that problem in the spring when I am over anxious to ride and forget to check my pressures. This year I did it again. You know... "dang this bike is harder to push around. I need to get in shape!"
Following day I finally check the tires to find 30 in the front and 31 in the back. Uh huh....

Tire pressure was the problem. 23psi front and rear! Increased it to 41 and 45, seems to be right now. (I always ride two up). Thanks!

Wow,...23 psi front and rear is very low. Good that you checked it and just didn't assume there was some problem with the bike. Well, in a way there was a problem.

Insufficient tire pressure is the most common fault of riders. I am always surprised how many riders of all brands complain about handling, braking, mileage, tire wear issues. But if you ask how often they check their tire pressure, or know what pressure works best on their bike, they often look at you like, "I uh, gotta check my tire pressure?"

Now, the next best thing you can do to improve the ability if the bike to handle turns, is you. If you have not yet taken a rider course on your own bike, I suggest taking one, soon. I have gone through about five rider training courses over the years and am a 22 year MSF instructor. It keeps me sharp and confident on the bike.

Last edited:
Tire pressure was the problem. 23psi front and rear! Increased it to 41 and 45, seems to be right now. (I always ride two up). Thanks!

did someone (tire manufacturer or BMW dealer) suggest you go up to 41/45? those numbers seem very high to me, even running 2up. over-inflated can be just as destructive to handling and tire life as under-inflated can be.

Tires

Check your tires, if they are not Michelin Pilot Road III's then you have found the problem. Just kidding about the brand making all the difference. But seriously, it sounds like bad (worn) tires.

Mine was like that once my Pirelli Angel's became worn. I put on a pair of PR III's and problem solved, handles like a sport bike, quick and neutral...

I second that opinion...the Michelin's are the ticket...

I had a similar experience with my R1100RS, thinking there was a mechanical issue with the steering. I came close to selling the bike but then changed the tires to the Pilot 3's and couldn't be happier.

My guess is a squared off rear tire.
If so, put a new one on and change your name to oldnfast!

Wow!! What a change. Put two new tires on yesterday. Now this is the bike I thought I was buying. I just have to 'think' about going around the curve and the bike just drops into the perfect lean and away we go! It sticks to the line I choose with very little if any handlebar pressures needed.

My rear was very squared off, and my front was very 'V' shaped. It just goes to show, 'The best you know is the best you've had'

And to top it all off, BOTH tires were on backwards! They were on it when I bought it last fall, and I never thought to check that!

This bike is now a joy to ride. Surging has been eliminated, handles like a dream, new ELF pegs, and gets comments every where I go!

Wow!! What a change. Put two new tires on yesterday. Now this is the bike I thought I was buying. I just have to 'think' about going around the curve and the bike just drops into the perfect lean and away we go! It sticks to the line I choose with very little if any handlebar pressures needed.

My rear was very squared off, and my front was very 'V' shaped. It just goes to show, 'The best you know is the best you've had'

And to top it all off, BOTH tires were on backwards! They were on it when I bought it last fall, and I never thought to check that!

This bike is now a joy to ride. Surging has been eliminated, handles like a dream, new ELF pegs, and gets comments every where I go!

I'm guessing most of that can't be due to tires but what do I know?
So are you going for the name change to oldnfast or maybe all the way to YoungnFast?

I'm guessing most of that can't be due to tires but what do I know?
So are you going for the name change to oldnfast or maybe all the way to YoungnFast?

You were so right! I knew tires would make a difference, but wow! What a change. And nope, I'm still Old n Slow! (Got that nickname years ago when racing dirt bikes. I would go for a trail ride while a race was going on around me! )

Back