• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"DEAD" storage battery life question.......

I am leaving my 99 R1100R in a friends non-electrified barn for 6 weeks / the battery is fully charged......will it still be after 6 weeks of non-use and no "tender" possible..??

opinion,please.....

MANY THANKS TO ALL YOU RESPONDERS . TURNS OUT THE STORAGE PLACE HAS ELECTRICITY; THUS MY TRUSTY BATTERY-DOC WILL KEEP THE BATTERY AT "PARADE REST" UNTIL I REJOIN MY BIKE MID-JUNE FOR A SUMMER OF NEW ENGLAND RIDING FUN !!

Last edited:
A good battery should hold a "starting" charge for 6 + months. It will be fine...

Just put a cover over it for dust and check for critter nests or stash under the seat and in the air box before starting.

I'm mostly with Ken.
If it was critical to be certain to be able to start the bike I might disconnect the battery.
If the barn gets stinkin' hot I'd maybe take the battery out.
I'd probably put Stabil in the fuel.
I wouldn't worry about it, I'd just deal with whatever problem on return.

I don't think there are a lot of parasitic loads on an R1100R but there are some. So I would disconnect the negative lead from the battery. It should be fine for 6 weeks under those conditions.

I also vote that you will be fine. I probably wouldn't even disconnect anything either. If the battery is in good shape it should hold up

I don't think there are a lot of parasitic loads on an R1100R but there are some. So I would disconnect the negative lead from the battery. It should be fine for 6 weeks under those conditions.

:nod That is what I'd do, too.

A good battery should hold a "starting" charge for 6 + months. It will be fine...

Ken, I see your icon is a hexhead. Assuming that is your bike have you actually measured the parasitic load and compared it with the size of your battery? I have. My '05 GS is good for 3 weeks. It might start after 6 weeks of sitting, but I wouldn't count on it.

Battery

I see the key word is "if battery is in good condition" Well if it were mine I would remove the battery and take it someplace where you can connect it to a battery tender. Note: Fully charged batteries last longer.

Similar motorcycle; my R1150 GS Adventure with a battery in good condition will drop 0.1V in about 4 weeks. I have a voltmeter connected directly to the battery so I can check as I walk by. It'll start at 12.9V and it'll be 12.8V about 4 weeks later.

I'm all for disconnecting a battery lead, but....

Why don't you just let your friend use it for those 6 weeks? I mean, he's your friend, right? That way I'm sure the battery will be fully charged when you get back. :D

Don't underestimate the drain for the clock ( Does the R1100R have one?) If I store one of my BMWs for longer than a month, I put a tender on them.

Got no idea what the parasitic drain is on that model but a few months ago dealt with a K1200RS that had a very flat Odyssey in it when the owner had kicked loose the charger cord over the winter and not noticed it- was probably without charging for about 3 1/2 mths which is a good deal longer than you expect- but normally a disconnected Odyssey on a shelf has no problem holding a solid charge for more than twice that long...

Disconnect it to be safe unless you've got a handy way to jump it if the battery won't fire it...

I have a BatteryMINDer #12248 charger. Been using it for years on my car and now on my bike battery (using the GEL setting). After it brings a battery up to full charge it goes into a "de-sulphator" mode which the manufacturer claims will bring back most batteries dead sulphated batteries to new condition using a high frequency signal.

IF is a big word...

IF it's in decent condition...
IF it doesn't get too hot...
IF this
IF that...

One way to be ABSOLUTELY certain...
Take the battery with you and keep it on trickle charge at home for the duration. Six weeks is going to be PRIME riding season.

Why chance it? :dunno

Back