• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K100RS handle bar flex?

cy7878

Hi All,

Since putting my bike back together, I had the opportunity to ride it a little. I was wondering if anyone else feels a flex in the handle bar on their K bike. I have owned a bike previously that had a wobbling head bearing, but this feels different. When I apply the front brake hard, I can feel like the bar is flexing. I know given the age, the head bearing should be checked for play and when I put the bike on center stand and pull on the forks, I don't get movement.

If you guys say they all do this, then I'm not going to worry about. If it's not common then I guess I'll have to start tearing the front end down.

Thanks

K100 bars are rubber mounted to the top triple clamp. You probably need to replace the rubber. 32 71 2 307 364 ABSORBING PIECE $7.30

The fiche says that you need 4 of them.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks Lee. I see the part you are talking about. But any idea why I would need 4? I see one per side. HAs anyone replaced theirs?

There's probably one on the top and one on the bottom of the triple clamp on each side.

:dance:dance:dance

I had the same problem with a Yamaha that I owned. Replaced the rubber and it felt like a completely different bike.

I replaced the 4 bushings with new ones. Placed the 2 small washers on the bottom and the large washers (one on top and one on bottom).

But as I tighten the nut, it doesn't seem to "tighten" and my bar still flex a lot. What am I doing wrong?

Do they make a urethan or metal part that can eliminate this?

Thanks guys for the input.

You might be able to find a urethane bushing somewhere that will do the trick and fit, but BMW intentionally put that flex in there to hide/reduce the buzzing you get from the engine. It is not the smoothest in the world. Mine was comparatively smooth compared to other 85s I rode, but still, it was quite numbing after a while, especially at specific revs. If you were to implement the method shown by owrstritch, you will drastically reduce the flex, however, your buzz will likely increase. If you were to find a way to rigidly mount the bars, you would eliminate that flex, but again, the buzz will be pronounced. Good luck with your efforts as you work to find a happy medium.

Back