• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Utah 1088

Opinions

Opinions are like elbows; everyone has two and it hurts like hell when you bump them into things. :dunno (Wait, that's not right.)

Anyway, I've done three endurance rallies so far: Green Mountain 400 (10 hour), Bonzai (12 hour), and Minuteman 1000 (24 hour), and in that order. I don't know what it would have been like to do the 24 hour first. I enjoyed all three, and I did them as they became available to me, as opposed to purposing starting on the shorter events.

I will say this, though, the 24 hour event was a lot more demanding. I was handicapped somewhat by needing to travel 1200 miles to get to the starting gate, so even with a full day of leisure before the start, I was still on a sleep deficit. And, these events require route planning, so I traded sleep for that. In the end, 22 hours of riding (2 hours of rest for points) was somewhere near my limit that day.

So, I guess I'm saying, if you're prepared (i.e. rested and mentally ready) for a longer event, then go for it. But, if the next rally that interests you is a 10 hour rally, then go for that. Either way, it's a lot of fun.

-

Here's what I love about endurance rallies: They are a lot like camping rallies (top quality people, friendly tire-kicking sessions, great camaraderie) AND the rally master & staff find interesting places to send you. So, I like to think of the Minuteman as "a New Englander's view of New England". I could have ridden to Massachusetts on my own, and hunted around for roads and landmarks without an underlying contest, but it wouldn't have been half as fun, and I wouldn't have seen as many cool things.

And, I like that everyone does the event a little differently...it makes for more interesting conversation later. "Did you find this? Dang, I missed that. Man, that was neat. Etc."

So, find a rally and try it out. You'll be an awkward newbie for about 0.57 seconds, and then you'll make a bunch of new friends and start having fun.

(I suppose I could have spawned a new thread for this. Oops.)

Hiya BG!

Nice report. I don't know how I missed this one.

One of these days, I will have to do something like this...

Ian

Back