• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Utah 1088

your bike knew the rally was gonna be too easy for you, so it decided to throw you for a loop, just to test your stamina. this is why i'm never gonna modify my bike, and stick with the stock cinder block of a seat. if the bike knows your uncomfortable, it won't bother you, if it thinks you're just gonna breeze through a 1k/24 hr race it feels like a car :D

knary said:
Sorry, I don't know where that is exactly! Somewhere in sort of northwestern CO would be my best guess.

To those of you who asked how I actually did in the rally - sorry that I left that out. I finished fourth from the bottom (47th I think) with around 14,000 points and 1181 miles. The winner had around 50,000 points and 1723 miles.

Here's a link to the 1088 website. The corrected mileage is posted but not the final scores yet. Utah 1088 site

Thanks everyone for checking out my ride report and for the tech suggestions. I'll let you know if/when I figure it out.

LD Riders & Seminars at the national

Nice Write-Up, Girlfriend! Glad you were able to finish despite the bike acting up... AND ride out there. AND ride home. What fun! I am so envious!

Hey BG.........Who cares where you placed!!! you di it and I both admire you and am proud of you for going through the ordeal. Glad to have you back! :clap

Rebecca,

Great report.

Love the picture of you in that snazzy Minuteman vest.

RE: Your fuel issue. Do you run regular unleaded at home? If you do when you go west into the mountains run mid or premium. Their summer blends can leave something to be desired.

You probably had some water / crap in the filter which passed.

When you do the IBR this summer you will want to purchase premium in Nevada, AZ, New Mexico and California. Utah, WY, MT and other western states may also use the summer blend.

Best,

Rob Nye

BG: Oh my starzzz! I rode the Utah 1088 and I never saw you! How could that be??? :dunno Steve commented during the banquet how you went back to the dealer and took care of business, then went out and finished the ride. Impressive. I don't know if MC rallyin' is anything like endurance riding with horses, but their motto is: "to finish is to win". Good job!

Jackie
'99 glacier green RT GiGi aka "PSYCHL"
PDX
well behaved women rarely make history...
Blue Knights Oregon I, IBA #16940

jackie said:
BG: Oh my starzzz! I rode the Utah 1088 and I never saw you!
I remember seeing you and your husband ride in at the finish line and I saw you going up to pick out the riding jacket that you won. IIRC you finished around 30th. Congrats on a GREAT ride. I'll make sure to say hello the next time I see your gorgeous green RT!

Great Job!

boxergrrlie said:
I finished fourth from the bottom (47th I think) with around 14,000 points and 1181 miles. The winner had around 50,000 points and 1723 miles.

Hey Rebecca....

Great job....sounds like your training for the IB is going well....

Remember, it's not where you finished that counts, but rather that you had the courage to start.

JC :thumb

I checked out the buffalo site again, and the utah 1088 site again, and am looking for a better site, with a lot more explanation as to what this kind of ride is. Anyone got any links?

I'm assuming it's a lot like orienteering. In that, you get a bunch of coordinates, and have to plan a route on a mil-spec UTM map (taking terrain into account). When/if you find the markers at the proscribed destinations, you write down the number on the marker to prove you were there, and move out to the next spot. Orienteering, the way I did it, was mostly hiking through the woods, or open ground. (We didn't use GPS, either.. just a map, a compass, and a pace count.) Doing it on a motorcycle sounds a LOT more fun.

How do you prove you were somewhere? I saw a mention of writing down what's written on a statue/bell/etc, or a picture of your bike/rider number in front of whatever is mentioned (polaroid, so I have to get another camera?)

How many pictures do you normally have to take? How many stops are normal for a rally like this? Is it a lot of on and off the bike, a lot of road miles, etc? I understand you have to be back in X hours, with Y miles under your belt, but the rest of the details are 'fuzzy'.

I really enjoyed orienteering when I did it, and am hoping this is similar, in that it's an adventure to find the locations, you pick your route, etc..

Any of you pros want to shed some light for a n00b ?

(Thanks in advance)

Well, I am still a newbie, but we all began somewhere... so here is what I figured out so far from my vast experience of one (http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=6396)

einnar said:
I checked out the buffalo site again, and the utah 1088 site again, and am looking for a better site, with a lot more explanation as to what this kind of ride is. Anyone got any links?

You want want to check out the Minuteman site at http://www.minuteman1000.com/info.htm

I'm assuming it's a lot like orienteering. In that, you get a bunch of coordinates, and have to plan a route on a mil-spec UTM map (taking terrain into account). When/if you find the markers at the proscribed destinations, you write down the number on the marker to prove you were there, and move out to the next spot. Orienteering, the way I did it, was mostly hiking through the woods, or open ground. (We didn't use GPS, either.. just a map, a compass, and a pace count.) Doing it on a motorcycle sounds a LOT more fun.

Close, it is a lot of fun though. What happens is that the Rally Master put together a list of bonus options and assigns points and values to them. You then have to figure out what is the most effecient and point gathering way to get around them and collect the points. For instance the Rider Package/Bonus (Bonii) List for the Bonzai was about 15 pages, there is no way you could get to all of them. So what you would do is figure out the best way to get as many points as possible. And everyone solved the puzzle a little differently.

How do you prove you were somewhere? I saw a mention of writing down what's written on a statue/bell/etc, or a picture of your bike/rider number in front of whatever is mentioned (polaroid, so I have to get another camera?)

Take a look at this sample Bonii List from the 1999 Irob Butt Rally http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2003.cfm?DocID=2 - don't let it scare you, but try to figure out the best way to go and collect the points. Some times you need to purchase something, other times you take a picture. I personally did the Picture Bonuses on the last one and a few question ones. The key is to read the directions carefully. The reason I like the picture bonii is that I would always take 2 pictures, one for the Rally Master and one for me to keep.

How many pictures do you normally have to take? How many stops are normal for a rally like this? Is it a lot of on and off the bike, a lot of road miles, etc? I understand you have to be back in X hours, with Y miles under your belt, but the rest of the details are 'fuzzy'.

You decide a lot of this, some people go for the Big Bonus and skip the small ones, other people go for lots of small ones Either way it is fun.

The big goal I would tell you to go in with, just to finish. At the Bonzai people were time barred by as little as 17 seconds. There is a reason the Rally Master is also known as the Rally Bastard. But hey the rules clearly state what time to be back by and the clock was available all morning before leaving to set your watch.

Bradford, I've poured over the links you sent me, and even went and found a few more. This sounds like fun! Read the Minuteman1k rules from start to finish, as well as the sample list of towns on the list that bonus' (bonii?) might be found in. Found a site with some 'riders stories' too. Interesting reading! From the perspective of a rider that's already done one (or more?), is there anything else you or anyone else might like to add? I don't know how competitive I would be doing this, as I'm more geared toward fun and personal accomplishment, but still... Sounds like a big 'I wanna try one' at this point. Should I start out with a 500, or jump right into a 1k? I've never done 1000 miles in a day before (officially, or that I'm fully aware of). I'm sure it takes more fortitude and endurance than I'm imagining.

As I read more about this, and other events that people have participated in, I get more respect for those that have done them. Kind of an eye opener, if you will.

Thanks for the info and links Bradford, and congrats Boxergirrlie! :)

Here is what I learned along the way...

1) The goal is to finish - safely
2) The second goal is to pick up bonii along the way
3) The third goal, have fun.

Now in terms of mileage, that depends on how you want to ride. The Buffalo Run is time based, so I would start with the 12 hour event. There are mileage ones as well, but that is up to you. Plus you can get Bonus for mileage, but there can also be mileage that will get you DNF'ed (Did Not Finished) if you ride too many too fast.

Oh yeah, we can always talk about this stuff at Lima.

Back