• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New F800GS!

bustedknuckles

Hi all, longtime airhead rider here but I'm happy to report I just got home from a 500 mile camping adventure aboard my just broken-in F800GS. A friend and I took a trip to Southern Oregon this weekend and I got the chance to see what it can do. I'm here to report that this is indeed a great bike! A true jack of all trades, I rode Interstate, twisty back-roads, gravel, and a little tiny bit of real dirt and the new steed made easy work of all of it! (Now the real task is learning how to ride dirt/off road so I can really take advantage of this machine's capabilities). I was most impressed but the handling and grip on tight-twisty pavement, my GS came shod with Metzeler Karoo knobbies but they stuck to the road like glue even fully leaned over! This bike is an absolute kick and I'm so glad I took the plunge and got a new BMW.

My complaints are few but I find the side-stand is really tricky on all but the flattest of ground and the fuel tank is a bit on the small side with mileage so far in the low-to-mid 40s fully loaded.

F800gs2.jpg

Looking at the ground, it looks like you were nervous before you took off on that ride. Cigarette butts galore!!!!! (lol)

Nice, nice looing bike.....

Congrats,
John

Looking at the ground, it looks like you were nervous before you took off on that ride. Cigarette butts galore!!!!! (lol)

Nice, nice looing bike.....

Congrats,
John

lol indeed I hadn't even noticed the butts! Just another lovely local park... Can't wait to get some real adventure photos of the bike dirty, muddy, on it's side, etc etc.

Remember

The worst thing about my F800GS is the availability of extra equipment from the likes of Touratech, Wunderlich and many other catalogs. There is always some "improvement" one can make and your wallet will not like it.

Move smaller

Hi all, longtime airhead rider here but I'm happy to report I just got home from a 500 mile camping adventure aboard my just broken-in F800GS. A friend and I took a trip to Southern Oregon this weekend and I got the chance to see what it can do. I'm here to report that this is indeed a great bike! A true jack of all trades, I rode Interstate, twisty back-roads, gravel, and a little tiny bit of real dirt and the new steed made easy work of all of it! (Now the real task is learning how to ride dirt/off road so I can really take advantage of this machine's capabilities). I was most impressed but the handling and grip on tight-twisty pavement, my GS came shod with Metzeler Karoo knobbies but they stuck to the road like glue even fully leaned over! This bike is an absolute kick and I'm so glad I took the plunge and got a new BMW.

My complaints are few but I find the side-stand is really tricky on all but the flattest of ground and the fuel tank is a bit on the small side with mileage so far in the low-to-mid 40s fully loaded.

View attachment 39731

T hey do make longer side stands. I get 55 MPG on a F800ST. I went from a R1150R to the F 800st , it is easy riding.

turn the handlebars to the right (not the usual left) when you are parked. makes getting it off the sidestand relatively easy.

at 2600 miles, and at sea level altitude, i got upper 40s on mine. with nearly 30K on it now, i routinely get in the middle-to-upper 50s. Best mileage was returning from Redmond rally, going across I-state in WY... two tanks back-to-back of 71. that was running fully loaded, with 75/25 tires.

Took a fantastic ride over to the Oregon coast today, record high temperatures meant it was actually T-shirt weather where there is typically fog and drizzle. To those of you coming to the International Rally this year set aside at least a day to explore the coastline and highway 101, usually it's a bit chilly but always beautiful.

Attachments

• 5.5.13 015.jpg
    5.5.13 015.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 113
Congratulations on the nice looking ride. How does the windscreen work? Turbulent free? It looks like it would give the rider minimal protection.

Nice looking machine. I promptly spent $10 at home depot for a piece of 2x2 aluminum to mod the kickstand footprint on my 800. If you ever get up around Hood River, give me a shout...

Back