• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Two blown headlight bulbs 2009 R1200RT

Jinxed myself...

Durnit.......:banghead
I respond to this thread with my $0.02 and yesterday, in the middle of Central Coastal BFE CA, I blow out a LEFT bulb for the first time ever !!

Now I'm gonna have to read this thread from beginning to end to rethink my decision about replacement bulbs....:scratch

And I can get the front end stripped in about 20+ minutes, so I'll change the bulbs and give the RT a well deserved bath from the inside out...:dance

How many of you have taken your Tupperware in to the shower ?? :laugh

Well, I haven't hauled it to the shower yet but I admit to wiping it down while its off the bike- and periodically washing the bike when tupperware is off. Just be careful if you do that later- no high pressure water, stay away from major electrical bits and connectors, no super strong soaps or spray degreasers, etc...

OK, all fixed. Got the dash panel off thanks to directions provided. My ceramic plug didn't arrive in one day from Amazon, even though I paid extra shipment for it to arrive today so got a useable plug at Auto Zone (Amazon promises a refund). I ended up soldering the new plug in as I just couldn't get the quick connectors to work in tight space. Now I just have to figure out why I have two extra screws after putting everything back togeather.:banghead

{snip}...Now I just have to figure out why I have two extra screws after putting everything back togeather.:banghead

That happened to me the first time. I'm guessing they're from the lower dash?

Glad everything worked out. For me, it is much easier remove the dash and replace/aim the headlights than to shred my hand as I visualize what I'm supposed to be doing!

Had my left parking light go out followed by my left headlight a few weeks later. What a chore to replace them. The left headlight was easy. The right one became a lot easier when I took off the dash panel. I wasn't able to get to the parking lights without removing the speaker boxes (the left one required removing the speaker from the box first as the wires were taught already with no way to disconnect). Was a good opportunity to clean up under the front plastics though and I figure it will just become ritual when I have to replace lights.

I used Osram Night Breaker Plus 55W H7s for my low beams and OSRAM Cool Blue Intense W5W. Looks fantastic and much whiter and brighter than the stock bulbs that were in there, especially the parking lights. That powerbulbs shop had a great prices and I got an extra set of parking lights for free as well. Got to me within a week.

I noticed when changing the headlights that the connectors were just loose spades. Seems they are supposed to be in some sort of shell that was probably broken off by my bike's previous owner. Where do you guys get replacement shells? I heard "ceramic" somewhere...

Excellent thread.

I've got big hands and can't possibly get to the headlight bulbs without removing the instrument panel surround first. That makes all the difference in the world and is easy to do. On my 2009 R1200RT, the left top side tupperware has the accesory socket wire so I just hang it from the handlebar with a bungee without disconnecting the wire.

And you're right; the connectors are junk.

Thanks for the information guys.

Last edited:
"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

Turn 60 degrees right and arm it up. :)

Back