• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Donp - Wind noise/buffeting on a '12 R1200GS?

donp

Old to dirt bikes but new to street bikes. Looking for r1200gs rider info. I test road a 2012 gs bike and wasn't happy with the wind noise & head and upper body buffeting.
Is there any way to negate this condition and get a more enjoyable ride. I did see this bike for sale with an Areoflow fairing. Would this be the answer?

Thanks,
Hot for a GS

Last edited by a moderator:
Old to dirt bikes but new to street bikes. Looking for r1200gs rider info. I test road a 2012 gs bike and wasn't happy with the wind noise & head and upper body buffeting.
Is there any way to negate this condition and get a more enjoyable ride. I did see this bike for sale with an Areoflow fairing. Would this be the answer?

Thanks,
Hot for a GS

A windshield has the ability to alter this substantially for better and for worse. Windshields will typically not provide the same level of comfort as a fairing such as those found on a R1200RT. Any windshield you buy will become an experiment but you have little choice unless you can ride a GS using a variety of windshields.

Do you have fairing experience? If not, you may want to test ride an RT to see how different an RT can feel when referenced to a GS. The difference is substantial.

Hi Don,

Welcome to the MOA Forum. Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - in general, the more descriptive your thread title is, the better the info you'll receive back will be.

I'm going to change your thread title to reflect on the subject of your posting. Please do so yourself in future posts to the tech forums!

Welcome again!

Thanks,
Hot for a GS

Hi Don,
I have a 2011 R12GS. Same problem with wind buffeting. Went to the Areoflow wind shield and fixed the problem. For some reason it even handled better in the wind. They come in different sizes depending on your height. Happy with mine.
Good luck on your bike search.
John

:thumb :thumb on the winglets. I have them with the std windshield and they work well on the upper body buffeting.

DonP

A windshield has the ability to alter this substantially for better and for worse. Windshields will typically not provide the same level of comfort as a fairing such as those found on a R1200RT. Any windshield you buy will become an experiment but you have little choice unless you can ride a GS using a variety of windshields.

Do you have fairing experience? If not, you may want to test ride an RT to see how different an RT can feel when referenced to a GS. The difference is substantial.

Thanks for all your responses! Yes I did test ride a r1200rt and there was a vast difference with the fairing. The GS just fits what I want to do with with a street bike. I like the ability to explore off road if I want.

Any experience with after market fairings? Such as the Areoflow product.

The winglet sounds interesting. Who makes them?

Thanks, donp

BMW winglets come on the adventure model and apparently can easily be mounted on a standard GS.

Windshields are about as personal as saddles. What works for me may not work well for you. This often leads riders to try two or three different types before settling on what they want. Check out the return policy (if any) on anything you buy. That said, did you try ALL the windshield positions on the GS you rode? Position makes a difference.

Like Marchyman said- It's really about personal choice. I had considered a different wind screen on my GS but finally decided that I liked the factory screen after I adjusted it almost full up. I also ride an RT and sometimes find it too "protective" on hot days, even with the screen down all the way. When I ride the GS it's nice to have some air. If your a dirt bike guy, (like I am) you know what I mean. But the Givi was the option I was looking at.

Thanks for all your responses! Yes I did test ride a r1200rt and there was a vast difference with the fairing. The GS just fits what I want to do with with a street bike. I like the ability to explore off road if I want.

Any experience with after market fairings? Such as the Areoflow product.

The winglet sounds interesting. Who makes them?

Thanks, donp

I have zero meaningful experience with the Aeroflow or winglets. I love well designed fairings but am not real big on plain old windshields. I wish you luck with something you'll be happy with on the GS 'cause it ain't easy when it comes to dual purpose bikes.

Don P., Have you ridden an R1200R? I've owned an RT and a GS and find the R an excellent compromise between the two. I bought the R when I lived in Alaska and have ridden it on dirt roads as well as on long distance highway trips. With the right windshield it can offer good protection, and with the right tires it can be competent on dirt. I have a Parabellum Scout fairing on mine. http://parabellum.com/

Attachments

• SAM_0677_zps77757580.jpg
    SAM_0677_zps77757580.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 70
Back