Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: BMW Scoot-why should I spend $10k for a scoot???

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    so...this is a BMW MOA Forum. If you want to have a discussion about kymco, vespa or others - GO TO THOSE FORUMS.
    John,

Since BMW sells scoots now, there is no reason that it can not be discussed.

All sorts of brands are discussed on the MOA forums when people talk about what bike to buy.

Lots of BMW owners also own HD's.

Discussing the pluses and minuses of BMW's vs other brands is a good thing. Every bike is a compromise, including the ones you and I ride.

We are not in the habit of telling members to go away.
    Ride Well

Cool

Yes the BMW scooters cost more and are heavier. BUT you get a bike that has excellent handling, great brakes with ABS, heated grips and seat, TPMS, adjustable wind screen, good storage space and lastly goes like a bat out of hell

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by sibud View Post
    John,

Since BMW sells scoots now, there is no reason that it can not be discussed.

All sorts of brands are discussed on the MOA forums when people talk about what bike to buy.

Lots of BMW owners also own HD's.

Discussing the pluses and minuses of BMW's vs other brands is a good thing. Every bike is a compromise, including the ones you and I ride.

We are not in the habit of telling members to go away.
    I agree. I was a devoted multiple BMW motorcycle owner for many years. My MOA membership is paid up until 2017. However, I am now without a BMW because I am apparently not the customer BMW wants. They apparently only want customers with long legs. I looked forward to the BMW scooter and rode 200 miles to ride one when they first arrived at my closest BMW dealership. When I got on the scooter, I found it was to tall for me to comfortably ride. I bought a Burgman instead. The R1200CLC I had was low enough for me but heavier than I wanted. BMW does not make a bike for folks with a short inseam. That ended when the stopped making the C. I replaced the CLC with a Yamaha with a low seat. I' m 66 years old with a short inseam. I would love to have another BMW but I don't see BMW making a bike for me in my lifetime. I will still follow BMW because several friends ride them and I always hold out the hope that BMW will see the light and make something those of us with short inseams (including many women) can comfortably ride.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

What is your inseam if you don't mind me asking.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by GILLY View Post
    What is your inseam if you don't mind me asking.
    29". I handled taller bikes better when I was young but at 66, I am not as strong and able to hold it up as well when I stop and my foot lands in a hole or on gravel. My riding friend has a 26" inseam and he has dropped his R1200RT several times even though it has been lowered as much as possible. We're riding to the Indian dealer near Charlotte, NC tomorrow so he can ride the new Indian Chieftain. It has a 26" seat height. My Yamaha has a 27.4" one. http://www.indianmotorcyclecharlotte.com/default.asp
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Yeah I can see that, I am not much more, but I guess a couple inches makes a big difference in this range. I am more like 31" and have never been able to flatfoot a BMW, even the scooter, but am already accustomed to it, doesn't bother me, I've just developed the habit of just putting down my left foot, which is proper form anyways. Although on the scooter it doesn't matter, I still ride this way.
    They do sell a low seat for the scooter I guess. The dealer and I discussed that before I bought it, but after the test drive I thought it was about what I was used to, and afraid the low seat might not be as padded as the stock seat.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Have you bought a scoot yet?

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I've currently got scoot fever. It's a disease possibly that's only cured by a machine purchase & in full view of my wife who thinks one is too many( I have several) when it comes to 2 wheels, except bikes, & to her that means "with pedals"!
    I've been on "Battle Scooters" on ADV and mfgs websites & currently seeking other good scoot forums for info???
    So far what cranks my crank: (& w/o a ride & other than 49cc scoots) I've focused on the Aprilia in 250's & the Piaggio BV 250/300/350 & their Scarabeo & the Kymco People GT 300i. I'm going to ride a People 200cc (too small for my use) just for what it says about that brand and its close to me. The BMW scoots & Burgmans & a few others don't fill my niche as too big & hvy and BMW is waaayyy too pricey too. I'm attracted to the 16" wheel scoots that are larger engines but smaller tupperware & wheelbase. The Kymco with Bosch ABS looks like a good machine but another larger one.
    I'm trying to stimulate some useful discussion here toward my search for a scoot & to hopefully discover suggestions for other scoot forums with a decent activity level.
    I haven't been on here is awhile, so thought I would visit. Have you bought a scooter yet? I just bought a new 2014 180cc Kymco Racing King. It's liquid cooled, has dual disc up front and a single in the rear. I know you were wanting something bigger so was wondering if you made the jump to get one.

Also noticed you are going to the Rockies this summer...have fun, be safe.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco , 180cc Kymco Racing King
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

I gave some thought to the C650 but at 575 pounds fueled and 42mpg at 75 it just doesn't compare the the F800GT at 470 pounds fueled and 55mpg at 75. For the difference in cost the F800 wins for me. Maybe a BV350 or a Vespa 300 someday as they're so much lighter and better on mpg than the C650.
    CCC, NRA, OOIDA Life Member
    BMWMOA Member 15945

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    By the way, by creeping through the mountains like I did, I got 68.3 MPG.
    just as a point of reference, i usually get north of 60 mpg on my F800GS if staying under 60 mph or so (mostly dirt for that), and have seen 71 running a steady 75mph on the I-states, fully loaded in tour mode.
    if one's primary goal in getting a scooter is outstanding fuel mileage, one need not accept all the other minuses that come with riding a scooter to achieve that end.

Beyond that- i've ridden some of the Aprilia scooters (500cc), and found them to have a comfortable ride, an engine capable of 90 mph on I-states, and better brakes than most cruisers. SEG (s**t eating grin) is BYO, but it really seems to happen pretty readily.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I agree. I was a devoted multiple BMW motorcycle owner for many years. My MOA membership is paid up until 2017. However, I am now without a BMW because I am apparently not the customer BMW wants. They apparently only want customers with long legs. I looked forward to the BMW scooter and rode 200 miles to ride one when they first arrived at my closest BMW dealership. When I got on the scooter, I found it was to tall for me to comfortably ride. I bought a Burgman instead. The R1200CLC I had was low enough for me but heavier than I wanted. BMW does not make a bike for folks with a short inseam. That ended when the stopped making the C. I replaced the CLC with a Yamaha with a low seat. I' m 66 years old with a short inseam. I would love to have another BMW but I don't see BMW making a bike for me in my lifetime. I will still follow BMW because several friends ride them and I always hold out the hope that BMW will see the light and make something those of us with short inseams (including many women) can comfortably ride.
    Wow. I could have written the almost exact same post. My last, easy to handle, get on and go BMW was my R1200C. I also disliked the heaviness of the CLC ( not to mention the handlebar mounted fairing you fight at low speed) that I also owned. Even though I have a 33 inseam and I _can_ handle something taller, it's still more of an effort than I like. After several RTs I have comfortably settled on a Honda NT. Surprisingly, it's very close in weight to a RT but with the lower seating and flat-footing, it feels a fraction of the RT when handling it around the garage and at low speed.

I'm certainly not trying to bash BMW, I'm not ruling one out in the future, just agree they are too tall and heavy for many people. Maybe that comes from cramming in more and more electronics and other "features" that I don't know who asked for?

My view

Hi, I currently own a C650GT. In my time I have owned many brands and styles of bikes and scooters and today at the age of 63 I find myself gradually moving more to ease of handling, weight and just plain old fun to use. I will admit that when I purchased the 650 I liked it, after a few months I was unsure but as I continued to ride it, it sort of showed me it's strengths and now days it's my choice for most area riding (say 100 miles). It's easy to handle, has huge cargo capacity (esp with the 48 Shad I added) and effortless when on the roads. I find it perfect for weekends and errand running. The bike I have begun to use most is my F700GSL. I have a 30" inseam and the factory suspension allows me to flatfoot it after a Sargent seat (not a low one) was added. I think the BMW seats are the issue, being too wide. The 700 with bags can carry most anything I ever use except for my mountain bike or a sheet of plywood. My other bikes are purpose specific so I won't discuss them here but of the many scooters I had and tried before I purchased the 650 it has shown itself over time to be the best purchase I have made in the scooter world. Being in NJ I can still ride it comfortable 10 months out of the year using my Roadcrafter light and the heated seat and grips. All in all I consider it an awesome scooter that took a little time to shine in my eyes. Ride safe!

ScooterAddict #51918

Scooter Fever!

Was surfing the forums today because it is cold and rainy. I bought my first scooter about 5yrs ago. I have owned about 14 different styles of BMW's and about 40 other brands and styles. To me a scooter should not bleed your wallet dry. Hey, you need gas money for the ride home from the dealer after getting your 30,000mi plus service done. I read owners of C650GT's getting a bill of $2600 or more on a major service. WTF are they thinking?? I've been an MOA member for about 30yrs.(#51918) When I first bought a BMW it was an airhead. You could service it yourself with just a little bit of mechanical knowlege for the price of a filter, a few 'o' rings, gaskets and assorted fluids. Back in 1984 you could have bought a new airhead for $2600..

Yes I have had the pleasure of owning a couple of scooters to mingle with the genre' of scooter mentality. No I don't walk around with a pocket protector and black framed glasses. I will ride anything with 2 wheels if offered a test ride. Burgman 650 involves a lot of time to service it. Taking off all the panels to get at all the fluids is a real pain. Right now I have 2-2005 Honda Metropolitans 50cc.. Easy to work on and service. I can service both of them with 1qt of oil! Carburetors are very susceptible to jets plugging if you let them sit to long without being run, or no Sta-Bil over the winter. Had to just replace the jets because they are way to small to clean. They get about 100mpg and do between 38-42mph depending on wind and terrain. Going up a long grade I have been down to 25mph. But in Missouri there's no registration, no inspection, no oper. license required and no insurance needed. I paid $500 a piece for these used and the PO stored them indoors and no sratches on them. For running quick errands around town they are great.

With all that said, my number one scooter pick would be a 2002 Honda Reflex 250 or newer model. Takes 1qt of oil to service, plenty of storage under seat, disc brakes front and rear, speedo, tach, fuel guage and water-cooling and you are able to adjust the valves without taking off the valve cover. ( It's no BS you can look it up online, there is a pdf on the internet) With 2up, I get between 55-68mpg. With a fresh service I would ride coast to coast on this. Bought one, a 2002 with 1364 orig miles for $2200. I saw a Honda Helix (same engine) in Florida with 179,000mi on it and the engine has never been apart.

I know this is a BMW site, but unlock your mind and don't be afraid to jump on any motorcycle or scooter and do some extreme touring on them. They do have a "Scooter Cannonball Rally" every year. One year it went from Hyder,AK to Shreveport,LA.. So get out of your comfort zone and do something exciting in your life!
    I don't care what you ride, just ride!
    USCG Veteran

JohnWC
    Quote Originally Posted by scott1007 View Post
    With all that said, my number one scooter pick would be a 2002 Honda Reflex 250 or newer model. Takes 1qt of oil to service, plenty of storage under seat, disc brakes front and rear, speedo, tach, fuel guage and water-cooling and you are able to adjust the valves without taking off the valve cover. ( It's no BS you can look it up online, there is a pdf on the internet) With 2up, I get between 55-68mpg. With a fresh service I would ride coast to coast on this. Bought one, a 2002 with 1364 orig miles for $2200. I saw a Honda Helix (same engine) in Florida with 179,000mi on it and the engine has never been apart.
    I agree. I've had two Honda Elite 80's which were fun to ride, but at 40 mph tops it was too demanding to take on even 35 mph roads. I have also had a Honda 250 Elite. It had plenty of power, but with the smaller wheels it didn't seem that stable at highway speeds. A good scooter though. I then bought a Reflex. It was a great scooter. It accelerated quickly, ran smoothly, and was very good on the highway. It could get up to 70 easily and stay there with no problems. I was amazed at the power it had for a 250 engine. And, naturally, Honda dependability and low cost parts. It got 65 mpg all the time. The only thing I didn't like was the seat with the built in driver bolster. When I went over a bump it went right into the small of my back. And the roads in this part of Ohio are just terrible. That's really the only reason I sold it. I believe the replacement, the Honda Forza, with the 300cc engine is one of the best scooter out there at this time.
    In Maxi scooters, the BMW models seem to be by far the best for many reasons. If money wasn't an issue, I would own one of them.

My wife has a C650gt, her complaints are seat height and weight. Had the seat carved out to lower a bit, nothing can be done about bikes weight. I partially solved some of the weight problem by having a monthly practice session with a couple dozen tennis balls cut in half, use them to form a figure eight course. After a few minutes practice low speed handling is very good with much more confidence. Now if I could keep her out of triple digit speeds on our local toll road!!!