• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Scoot-why should I spend $10k for a scoot???

Yes the Modern Vespa site is a good one & actually there is overlap of sizes as people own more than one or move up.etc. I just talked to an ebay seller today thats in process on just that. Seems scoot people are often former/current MC riders & also many that never owned a MC or small scoot. It flys all over. ADV Battle Scooters is represents more that have ridden MC's before, like here. My question was designed to have an air of the "Why Factor" that would pull out some serious discussion on BMW & other scoot models too. Some other pretty good scoot sites are Scooter therapy,Scooter Shack ,Maxi scoot,Just Gotta Scoot . The Brits have several too.

Well, for my own part, I wanted something with enough HP to be entirely comfortable flowing with traffic moving at higher speeds - if you've ever ridden on the freeways in Los Angeles, which I do, you may not want a scooter that is anywhere near topped out at 70mph, and I found that even some of the 500s and the Silver Wing were not really powerful enough for my liking in this regard. I also really wanted modern safety features including ABS and TPMS, and didn't like the handling of smaller wheeled scooters as much, coming from larger wheeled motorcycles with more gyroscopic stability from the wheels, etc., and found that the BMW handled noticeably better than other scooters I'd tried. The electric screen is also really nice, you may not realize how much you use this until you have one (I certainly didn't), but being able to change where the wind is going based on the weather (warm/cold, dry/rain) is actually kind of a big deal. The OEM integrated GPS/comm is really nice too. Basically, what I wanted was the features of a full sized touring motorcycle but in a slightly smaller scooter form factor, and the 650GT is just the ticket in this regard IMHO. It's big for a scooter but it's still 200 lbs lighter and 4" narrower than a K1600, I have no problem at all with it in the city, it handles amazingly, and it has enough power to be entirely comfortable in loaded touring at speed.

What he said!
Well done. :bow

BTW I think I'm on to something with the stock clutch take-up. If I am a bit more aggressive on the throttle at launch then roll it back just a little the clutch seems to grab more quickly.

What he said is my notion on a scoot. Given the fact that the only way I can leave Dodge is on a hwy and that I want to get some vibes from a scoot too, engine size is a must for me. FWIW, and God forbid that I have to live that way-absolutely no offense meant whatsoever!!!-I have ridden & driven in most big cities except NYC which I prefer to sneak up on in a bus then get out and roller my luggage to the hotel.
My real question was purposed to squeeze out what a BMW scoot will that I cannot get from , say, a BV350 that's a little over $5k. I really like the aesthetics of the classic Vespa vs the "jet ski look" of most touring worthy scoots. Those little wheels worry me! I can see ABS being a help on a scoot tire. The Kymco only offers it via the 13" tire on one model. I'm riding one soon so we'll see. Thanks for the comments so far. Other than a Vino 49cc that I bought as a fix & sell I have never owned or ridden a scoot except for rentals in some palm tree locales.

What he said is my notion on a scoot. Given the fact that the only way I can leave Dodge is on a hwy and that I want to get some vibes from a scoot too, engine size is a must for me. FWIW, and God forbid that I have to live that way-absolutely no offense meant whatsoever!!!-I have ridden & driven in most big cities except NYC which I prefer to sneak up on in a bus then get out and roller my luggage to the hotel.
My real question was purposed to squeeze out what a BMW scoot will that I cannot get from , say, a BV350 that's a little over $5k. I really like the aesthetics of the classic Vespa vs the "jet ski look" of most touring worthy scoots. Those little wheels worry me! I can see ABS being a help on a scoot tire. The Kymco only offers it via the 13" tire on one model. I'm riding one soon so we'll see. Thanks for the comments so far. Other than a Vino 49cc that I bought as a fix & sell I have never owned or ridden a scoot except for rentals in some palm tree locales.
I haven't ridden one so I can't speak to handling, but the BV350 seems fantastic, make no mistake (though I admit I'm not a huge fan of that look - color me irrationally swayed by the charms of the BMW in this regard, though I think Vespas are gorgeous too).

It does, however, top out 20mph or so lower than the BMW (Piaggio says 86mph), which you would expect at half the HP of course, and if you're ever going to ride in places where traffic may be flowing at 80mph, that's not enough oomph for me. It also has less storage (one full face helmet under the seat vs. two - and I regularly fill my under seat storage and top case to 100% full grocery shopping, etc.), no TPMS (I'm assuming the ones they sell here have ABS - they do in Europe but I seem to recall discussion of this being withheld here at some point, so if not, that's a showstopper for me), no adjustable windscreen, etc. But the biggest deal by far is just size/power (and I suppose for me, handling and feeling more like a motorcycle, though others may not care about this).

For many riders, this would be a totally ideal scoot, and at a little more than half the price of the BMW, clearly a comparative bargain. If you're planning to spend a nontrivial amount of time on roads with 65-70+mph speed limits and traffic flowing even faster though, this may not be quite enough (and, I'm speculating now, the bike may not be designed for ideal stability at it's top speed either, esp. riding in high winds as sometimes happens on long highway stretches, and independently of that, you may not feel entirely comfortable riding at near WOT for long periods). I would suggest lots of demo rides! :)

Last edited:
Actually, for the city, all you need is a 125cc. If you want to get on the freeway, then get the 250 to 300cc. If you want something bigger, the 400 Burgman will take you and your close friend anywhere you want to go; you don't have to have a high priced 600 or bigger to do that.

DW

Why would anyone buy ANY BMW? (LOL)

, 13" wheels(wider) & different body style.
If I were going the urban scoot machine route I'd buy a Yamaha or Kymco People 200i from what I've seen while looking larger.

That is the $50 question and answer, tire size. If you are going with most scooters, burgman 650 included, the tire size is a determining factor in how long it last and the quality. you are spending more money for the BMW, which is the original question, because of upgrades for highway style high speed driving. the 15" tires will last longer than the smaller 13"s. This is why some burgman people put car tires on thier bikes, while i don't agree with this, they claim it performs just as well. With the BMW you are getting upgrades such as: 15" pirelli diablos (no chicken strips on mine), stainless steel brake lines, ABS (standard), upgraded suspension. just to put a few items out there. most of which the soon to be released 2013 Burg 650 will not come iwth in the USA, estimates and only a few hundred less.

If you are mostly on highway, yes the Kymco (bmw engine maker) has highway speed, but in emergency, how well does it stop, or accelerate to get out of the way. I have dyno'd my BMW sport at 47hp (at the wheel) stock, and have since upped it to 50hp with aftermarket pipe. It is in the dyno shop this week to tune the PC V, why(?) I like pissing of sportbikes and Hardley riders, passing them at 95, he he

For me, it's a choice of quality and power, I am not concerned about the price. If money is the holding point, don't bother with it.
I hope this helps anyone out there, the simple fact is whatever you decide I hope you are happy with it, and enjoy scooting. thats the most important decision.

The Kymco 700 is coming America

We have the Kymco 700i here in Taiwan but I just read it will be sold in the U.S. in 2013. Pretty nice bike; it puts out 60hp and has ABS. I have not ridden one but it's much less expensive than the BMW scoot here. A new BMW scoot will cost you about $18,000 usd here and the Kymco is about $9 grand or less.

kantuckid, did you ever get you a scoot yet? Let us know.

DW

For me my maxi scooter (in the past a Burgman 650 Ex) is my main commuting vehicle. In the last 5 months I have taken my truck to work 3 times. I ride 70 miles a day which is better than driving 70 miles a day ( well...to be honest a 6.0 liter 450 HP 6 speed manual can be pretty fun!). I can ride the HOV lanes solo at 70 to 75 mph so I not only save time but I can take I-95 instead of the Sawgrass Expressway and save $4 per day on tolls.

I can fit my laptop, change of clothes, rain gear and a hard hat in the scooter no problem.

I'm getting about 54 mpg...my 06 SSR gets about 18. Driving the SSR I use about 4 gallons a day, with the scooter less than 1.5 gallons a day. That is a difference of 12.5 gallons per week or at $4 per gallon $50 per week and $20 per week on tolls it is $70 less a week to take the scooter. That's a difference of about $3,500 per year.

Yes there is money spent on gear, tires etc...but I would need to do that with my truck more often. A set of tires for that is about $1,200.

So another way to look at it for me is that I bought a relatively cheap commuter vehicle with low operating cost

I've currently got scoot fever. It's a disease possibly that's only cured by a machine purchase & in full view of my wife who thinks one is too many( I have several) when it comes to 2 wheels, except bikes, & to her that means "with pedals"!
I've been on "Battle Scooters" on ADV and mfgs websites & currently seeking other good scoot forums for info???
So far what cranks my crank: (& w/o a ride & other than 49cc scoots) I've focused on the Aprilia in 250's & the Piaggio BV 250/300/350 & their Scarabeo & the Kymco People GT 300i. I'm going to ride a People 200cc (too small for my use) just for what it says about that brand and its close to me. The BMW scoots & Burgmans & a few others don't fill my niche as too big & hvy and BMW is waaayyy too pricey too. I'm attracted to the 16" wheel scoots that are larger engines but smaller tupperware & wheelbase. The Kymco with Bosch ABS looks like a good machine but another larger one.
I'm trying to stimulate some useful discussion here toward my search for a scoot & to hopefully discover suggestions for other scoot forums with a decent activity level. :scratch

so...this is a BMW MOA Forum. If you want to have a discussion about kymco, vespa or others - GO TO THOSE FORUMS.

so...this is a BMW MOA Forum. If you want to have a discussion about kymco, vespa or others - GO TO THOSE FORUMS.

John,

Since BMW sells scoots now, there is no reason that it can not be discussed.

All sorts of brands are discussed on the MOA forums when people talk about what bike to buy.

Lots of BMW owners also own HD's.

Discussing the pluses and minuses of BMW's vs other brands is a good thing. Every bike is a compromise, including the ones you and I ride.

We are not in the habit of telling members to go away.

Yes the BMW scooters cost more and are heavier. BUT you get a bike that has excellent handling, great brakes with ABS, heated grips and seat, TPMS, adjustable wind screen, good storage space and lastly goes like a bat out of hell

John,

Since BMW sells scoots now, there is no reason that it can not be discussed.

All sorts of brands are discussed on the MOA forums when people talk about what bike to buy.

Lots of BMW owners also own HD's.

Discussing the pluses and minuses of BMW's vs other brands is a good thing. Every bike is a compromise, including the ones you and I ride.

We are not in the habit of telling members to go away.

I agree. I was a devoted multiple BMW motorcycle owner for many years. My MOA membership is paid up until 2017. However, I am now without a BMW because I am apparently not the customer BMW wants. They apparently only want customers with long legs. I looked forward to the BMW scooter and rode 200 miles to ride one when they first arrived at my closest BMW dealership. When I got on the scooter, I found it was to tall for me to comfortably ride. I bought a Burgman instead. The R1200CLC I had was low enough for me but heavier than I wanted. BMW does not make a bike for folks with a short inseam. That ended when the stopped making the C. I replaced the CLC with a Yamaha with a low seat. I' m 66 years old with a short inseam. I would love to have another BMW but I don't see BMW making a bike for me in my lifetime. I will still follow BMW because several friends ride them and I always hold out the hope that BMW will see the light and make something those of us with short inseams (including many women) can comfortably ride.

What is your inseam if you don't mind me asking.

29". I handled taller bikes better when I was young but at 66, I am not as strong and able to hold it up as well when I stop and my foot lands in a hole or on gravel. My riding friend has a 26" inseam and he has dropped his R1200RT several times even though it has been lowered as much as possible. We're riding to the Indian dealer near Charlotte, NC tomorrow so he can ride the new Indian Chieftain. It has a 26" seat height. My Yamaha has a 27.4" one. http://www.indianmotorcyclecharlotte.com/default.asp

Yeah I can see that, I am not much more, but I guess a couple inches makes a big difference in this range. I am more like 31" and have never been able to flatfoot a BMW, even the scooter, but am already accustomed to it, doesn't bother me, I've just developed the habit of just putting down my left foot, which is proper form anyways. Although on the scooter it doesn't matter, I still ride this way.
They do sell a low seat for the scooter I guess. The dealer and I discussed that before I bought it, but after the test drive I thought it was about what I was used to, and afraid the low seat might not be as padded as the stock seat.

Have you bought a scoot yet?

I've currently got scoot fever. It's a disease possibly that's only cured by a machine purchase & in full view of my wife who thinks one is too many( I have several) when it comes to 2 wheels, except bikes, & to her that means "with pedals"!
I've been on "Battle Scooters" on ADV and mfgs websites & currently seeking other good scoot forums for info???
So far what cranks my crank: (& w/o a ride & other than 49cc scoots) I've focused on the Aprilia in 250's & the Piaggio BV 250/300/350 & their Scarabeo & the Kymco People GT 300i. I'm going to ride a People 200cc (too small for my use) just for what it says about that brand and its close to me. The BMW scoots & Burgmans & a few others don't fill my niche as too big & hvy and BMW is waaayyy too pricey too. I'm attracted to the 16" wheel scoots that are larger engines but smaller tupperware & wheelbase. The Kymco with Bosch ABS looks like a good machine but another larger one.
I'm trying to stimulate some useful discussion here toward my search for a scoot & to hopefully discover suggestions for other scoot forums with a decent activity level. :scratch

I haven't been on here is awhile, so thought I would visit. Have you bought a scooter yet? I just bought a new 2014 180cc Kymco Racing King. It's liquid cooled, has dual disc up front and a single in the rear. I know you were wanting something bigger so was wondering if you made the jump to get one.

Also noticed you are going to the Rockies this summer...have fun, be safe.

DW

I gave some thought to the C650 but at 575 pounds fueled and 42mpg at 75 it just doesn't compare the the F800GT at 470 pounds fueled and 55mpg at 75. For the difference in cost the F800 wins for me. Maybe a BV350 or a Vespa 300 someday as they're so much lighter and better on mpg than the C650.

By the way, by creeping through the mountains like I did, I got 68.3 MPG.

just as a point of reference, i usually get north of 60 mpg on my F800GS if staying under 60 mph or so (mostly dirt for that), and have seen 71 running a steady 75mph on the I-states, fully loaded in tour mode.
if one's primary goal in getting a scooter is outstanding fuel mileage, one need not accept all the other minuses that come with riding a scooter to achieve that end.

Beyond that- i've ridden some of the Aprilia scooters (500cc), and found them to have a comfortable ride, an engine capable of 90 mph on I-states, and better brakes than most cruisers. SEG (s**t eating grin) is BYO, but it really seems to happen pretty readily.

I agree. I was a devoted multiple BMW motorcycle owner for many years. My MOA membership is paid up until 2017. However, I am now without a BMW because I am apparently not the customer BMW wants. They apparently only want customers with long legs. I looked forward to the BMW scooter and rode 200 miles to ride one when they first arrived at my closest BMW dealership. When I got on the scooter, I found it was to tall for me to comfortably ride. I bought a Burgman instead. The R1200CLC I had was low enough for me but heavier than I wanted. BMW does not make a bike for folks with a short inseam. That ended when the stopped making the C. I replaced the CLC with a Yamaha with a low seat. I' m 66 years old with a short inseam. I would love to have another BMW but I don't see BMW making a bike for me in my lifetime. I will still follow BMW because several friends ride them and I always hold out the hope that BMW will see the light and make something those of us with short inseams (including many women) can comfortably ride.

Wow. I could have written the almost exact same post. My last, easy to handle, get on and go BMW was my R1200C. I also disliked the heaviness of the CLC ( not to mention the handlebar mounted fairing you fight at low speed) that I also owned. Even though I have a 33 inseam and I _can_ handle something taller, it's still more of an effort than I like. After several RTs I have comfortably settled on a Honda NT. Surprisingly, it's very close in weight to a RT but with the lower seating and flat-footing, it feels a fraction of the RT when handling it around the garage and at low speed.

I'm certainly not trying to bash BMW, I'm not ruling one out in the future, just agree they are too tall and heavy for many people. Maybe that comes from cramming in more and more electronics and other "features" that I don't know who asked for?

Back