• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1 Piece or 2 Piece Stich?

deitscher

Schwetzt du aa Deitsch?
Hey Boys and Girls,

I have had a one-piece Aerostich for quite a number of years now and absolutely love it, but it is time to buy a new riding suit. Apparently my body didn't stay in the shape as my mind has over the years. Would like to get another Stich but am trying to figure out if I want to purchase another one-piece or move to a two-piece. What say ye, fellow Stich wearers?

Regards,
-Rounder in the Middle

I love my two piece stich. Considered the one piece but I like taking off just the jacket when in restaurants or at short rest stops if it is hot out I remove my jacket while I am doing whatever it is I am doing at the rest stop, checking the map, eating a cookie, cleaning my glasses, eating a cookie, taking a drink of water, eating a cookie, fiddling with the GPS, wetting down my t-shirt or Aerostich bandana.

Can also add more color with the two piece. I have a Hi Viz jacket with grey ballistics and all grey pants. I love my pants with the bid option. Real comfy.

Mark

PS If the weather forcast says hot I will leave my Roadcrafter pants home and wear my mesh pants.

Last edited:
I've been using a 2-piece Aerostich since 1992. I'm on my second identical suit since 2005.

That said, I'll probably go to an upscale suit like a Rukka, Halvarssons, Stadler when my second suit is on its last legs. The Aerostich needs a serious revamp.

I also have a two piece Aerostich and it works well for me. I tried a friend's one piece stich for a weekend before buying mine and it never felt right to me.

I like my 2 piece.

It only has one more zipper than the one piece when taking it on or off if you leave it zipped together like I do.

When I need just a jacket in camp I can unzip the jacket.

Some one piece stich's can leak in the crotch, never a problem with my two piece and I have ridden for hours on end in epic rain.

At any time you can add in a zip in section between the jacket and pants for more forward lean, I did this when I went from an RT to an S.

Love my 2 piece. When zipped together, its kinda like a one piece....

Mine just got back from Duluth, had some Velcro and a busted zipper replaced and got the new style waterproof zippers put in the pants. Came back clean and smelling really nice! And i also picked up the bib for the pants. We'll see if I really the the 'true' two piece style.....jury is still out on that, though.

2 piece all the way

I have had a 1 piece Roadcrafter for many years and like it quite a bit. I now only use it for local rides since I bought a 2 piece late last year. I went with a Roadcrafter 2 piece jacket with the Darien pant. According to Aerostich many people do it that way. I did not care for the low cut Roadcrafter pant.

As for going upmarket with Rukka, etc I would like to hear/see all about them. There was a write up in a bike magazine (can't remember which one was in the dentist office) recently of about 10 different suits. Aerostich finished 2nd or 3rd the only issue being waterproofing.

I use my 2 piece as a 1 piece, but still have the option of wearing just the jacket around the campfire in the evening.

2-piece! Gives you the option of riding without the pants (you'll probably want to wear some jeans or vented riding pants to avoid unwanted attention) Easier to go into shops or restaurants without the full spaceman look. And the 2-pc is almost as easy as the 1-pc to get on and off, which is pretty easy. The extra flexibility is worth the extra few bucks for the 2-pc, IMO.

pete

Aerostich finished 2nd or 3rd the only issue being waterproofing.

Well that is a major issue when you are on the road for 6 weeks at a time and luggage space is at a premium and being taken up by a rain suit.

The Aerostich has its place and has had its time. Back in the early 90s when I bought mine and back when the Aerostich came out, choice was limited. That hasn't been the case in a long while.

Well that is a major issue when you are on the road for 6 weeks at a time and luggage space is at a premium and being taken up by a rain suit..

I don't tour in mine. It is just too hot for me once the temps get into the mid 70's. It is the one real draw back to wearing a stich, limited temp range, unless heat does not really bother you. My stich is used only from late fall to early spring.....Ok, ok, I'm talking California here:laugh

I use a Darien Light jacket along with the AD-1 pants. A good combination and no water issues.

Doug

Some one piece stich's can leak in the crotch, never a problem with my two piece and I have ridden for hours on end in epic rain.

At any time you can add in a zip in section between the jacket and pants for more forward lean, I did this when I went from an RT to an S.

My 'Stich pants started leaking when they got older, after many washes. I have seam-sealed them, but I haven't tested them in the rain. I also bought a pair of Olympia Moto-X pants for the ventilated panels. The 'Stich pants don't vent well in hot, humid weather.

The 2-piece 'Stich suit is good in cool or cold weather and I'm hopeful the seam sealer will take care of the leakage problem. I'll probably wear the Olympia pants on long road trips for the extra versatility.

And yes, I did add the Aerostich "elipse" to the pants to give more freedom of movement and because I'm tall @ 6'4".

Harry

Two piece.. when you're built like Oswald Cobblepot the two-piece makes it much easier to get one that fits..

penguin1.gif

As far as the ratings of the "stich" vs everyone else - did the ratings include customer service, custom fits, easy to get repairs? I looked at the linked website and see nothing along those lines. These are the real "value added" thing about dealing with Andy Goldfine and Rider Warehouse. They really set the bar high for customer focused service. Andy did 3 exchanges of suits for me to get the size right, and the last one he picked up the shipping both ways. I've also been quite happy with their repair service - it seems as if my suits need new velcro at about 60,000 miles or so. I meant to send mine in during the usual 3 week period I don't ride in coldest/snowy January - but not riding never happened this year, so the velcro still needs replacement.

Back