• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear engine seal replacement

josh00

I'm going to replace my clutch for it slipping with 40k on it, so it is probably the rear engine seal leaking or the tranny seal leaking. I have type in rear engine seal on forum search & I am over loaded with alot of threads , can't find one on replacement, haven't look through all of them. I was wondering if someone had advice on finding one or on changing the rear seal. I was told on the phone from a dealer you need a special tool for this or you can make one, never have seen one. I can't find in the clymer manual on changing this seal either, was wondering if anyone could direct me on that to. On the tranny seal from what understand is that you just take it out & put the new one in, nothing tricky about it. Thanks for any help in advance.:thumb

Think I would pull the starter first and check for oil. Don't know of another cause for slipping but I'd just want to know before a tear-down.

on your RT, it could be a bad rear main seal, a bad trans input seal (less likely), or a bad clutch slave cylinder. given the low miles but hi years (relatively speaking)... clutch is most likely in my mind.

i'd either order those parts in advance with an understanding that they could be returned if unused, or just purchase once you know where the damage is.

in your manual, i'd first look for rear main in the engine section. if not there, maybe clutch.

Pull the starter and you will see where the wet is.
A dental mirror and a mini maglite are useful tools
Engine seals don't leak very often, transmission seals are more common especially if they don't have the felt ring glued to the outside and the better rubber (brown)
Early seals were black rubber.
You may also be contaminating the disc with brake fluid if your slave cylinder is failing.

I have order the seals for rear main seal & tranny seal. I ordered from beemerbone yard a friction plate that is oil proof, it cost $245 they had the regular plate for $99, but I thought it would be worth the extra. Don't think it is the slave cylinder because the fluid is full for it. I found in the clymer for the rear seal replacement, it is in chapter 5 pg 180. Did order a slave cylinder from the bone yard figured might as well change it while I'm at it. still don't fully understand how the put the rear seal in with the tool you make, but once I have the seal probably will understand more then.Thanks for the help.

Back