• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire pressure monitoring systems - 2005 GS

Z

I was looking at installing a tpm.....now I am even more confused as to whether or not I should even bother installing one . My reasoning behind this idea is that I am a firm believer in checking tire pressure in tires before every time I ride . But by doing so, sometimes air seeps by and I end up taking out the air compressor and adding a couple of lbs. This is the reason why I got thinking about TPM systems. In the last 3years .....not once , but, TWICE, I did my pre ride check and discovered 0 lbs. showing on a tire gauge..and after inspection, I found a nail in a tire . Not once but twice....That is why I check tire pressure before every ride. One thing that find odd is that I never new I had a nail in a tire until the next morning when I did my circle check???? Seems like the bike was ok when I had parked it the day before.
Rob.
Ron,

One thought on this. When you're touring (if you do) - multi-day rides.. do you check the pressure every morning before setting out? If so - do you carry a compressor on the bike to top the tires off if you lose a few PSI checking them? I do carry the compressor (only had to use it on other people's bikes so far..), but that whole process when I have a group of people waiting on me to lead them on the day's ride just doesn't work for me. Used to be you could get air at any gas station - now you have to find a convenience store and pay to fill the tires up (usually without any gage on the hose.) Plus - that means the tires will not be getting checked at the correct "cold" or "room-temp" temperature.

To me - besides the obvious safety factor - convenience also was a big determining factor.

Ron,

One thought on this. When you're touring (if you do) - multi-day rides.. do you check the pressure every morning before setting out? If so - do you carry a compressor on the bike to top the tires off if you lose a few PSI checking them? I do carry the compressor (only had to use it on other people's bikes so far..), but that whole process when I have a group of people waiting on me to lead them on the day's ride just doesn't work for me. Used to be you could get air at any gas station - now you have to find a convenience store and pay to fill the tires up (usually without any gage on the hose.) Plus - that means the tires will not be getting checked at the correct "cold" or "room-temp" temperature.

To me - besides the obvious safety factor - convenience also was a big determining factor.

deilenberger.....You hit the nail on the head. I tour a bit . Mostly 1 or 2 weeks at a time, and when I go on these tours, I am am often in remote areas and that was just another reason why I was thinking of TPM system. With a good TPM system, I would not have to be bothered in the morning and just go...And NO... When I am touring , I will check pressure only occasionally....only if I happen to be close to a pump , my tires are cold, and convenient, which is not often.....And NO I do not carry a compressor and I think that maybe I should. Could be very handy some day. I do carry a gauge at all times, and also a tire repair kit though. Although, when I am home ....I check tires every day before every ride.
I really appreciate all the comments and input about TPM systems....thanks....I am still weighing my options.
rob.

ROBERTSI -

Just a suggestion here...

Even though I have a aftermarket TPMS system installed on my RT, I ALWAYS check the air in my tires in the morning when they are cold; my suspicion is that most experienced riders do the same. I still carry a tire pressure gauge, tire plugging kit, and a compressor even though I have TPMS. IMHO, the TPMS is helpful for slow-leak conditions only.

Also note that most external TPMS systems will NOT read the actual pressure value until you are well underway. IMPORTANT: the external TPMS systems (at least mine) DO NOT report the actual tire pressure if your bike is parked; they show the last "remembered" pressure just before you came to a stop. This understanding may modify your expectations.

FWIW,

TPMS Battery Replacement

The OEM TPMS brings me peace of mind, especially while under way, when the rear tire suddenly feels squirrely. My biggest complaint with the set up is that you have to replace the entire unit when the battery dies, according to a tech at the local dealership, or about $200. Coming up five years this September since the build date, and so far, so good with the TPMS.

They also make an outstanding electronic tire-pressure gauge I use on my TDI -- 82121467187, ~$20

I read this some time ago. Don't really know the success of the battery replacement.
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthrea...ds=tpms+battery+repair&Search=true#Post803280

Good luck with it if you try the repair and report back... :thumb

Don,
Your TPMS experiences are interesting and I can see why you bought one. Being a Jersey kid by birth, I sure wouldn't want to get stuck in the inner lane of the Turnpike with a flat on my bike or anything else- if I'd detected it in the parking lot I'd just plug it on the spot and keep going later. Also, I agree with your point about in wheel sensor only if you're going to use a tpms.

I also agree with your point that a lot of folks lose 2 lb just checking tire pressure with a gauge. I use a race gauge and still lose about 1/2 lb on a bike but I also never check pressure without a compressor nearby (my quicky compressor is a cheap little Harbor Freight job that was about $40 on sale but is fitted with my track inflator). I'm not in the habit of even thinking about checking pressures during a 1 or 2 week road trip- I do it before I leave and leave them alone unless I sense a problem because I'm don't want to get out my travel compressor.

Yes, as you surmise I've got a boatload of track time in my life- probably more hours at 150 or better than many have at 70- have been on most of the east coast road courses and ovals (some like Charlotte and Atlanta have had some amazingly large bumps for a race track) and a few of the west coast ones like Laguna Seca. But I also sold my last track car late last year and am not likely to get much more track time unless I borrow my son's or agree to go teach at some event. All of my serious track time is in cages where I've worn out more motors, turned more tires and brake pads into dust, and turned more race gas $ into CO2 than I want to think about (my last track toy got 4.7 mpg at speed and burned approx 1/2 gal / minute of use- I figure it cost me about $1500 every time I took it to the track, not counting tire cost)- if I hadn't had such pricey hobbies I'd have a whole lot more investment $- but a lot less fun. However, track time does wonders for ones street driving- everything on the street looks like slow motion and responses of others on the street makes them look brain dead compared to the speed folks do things at the track. Now that I'm effectively retired from track time, I wonder how long that effect will last...before I too join the "slow Buick in left lane" crowd..Heck, I already use a diesel for my cage just for the fuel economy and range- maybe that Buick isn't that far away after all...almost 67 and counting...

Anyone who can find time for RA at The Biltmore this year ought to put it on their summer list and think about also doing the nearby Unrally (bmwst) event that starts right after RA ends..Great chances to enjoy our fine NC riding and meet other BMW riders..Mid June timing...

Air on board:)

I've carried a compressor for decades now. Just part of the bike, as I see it. Of course I am an adventure rider, doing offroad type tours, so! Compressors are so available everywhere nowadays. Easy to buy around 20Bucks. Slime, probably most well known one out there. No more peace than having your own ability to fix a leak or flat and be gone in minutes:):):). TPS may get you knowledge, won't fix it!!! Its grade school level wrenching, imo. Randy

Just a heads up - Mobletron is still available from the UK.. http://www.tyre-track.net/

I emailed with the sales manager, and he said there are some problems with card processing from the US - but they will sell them for the advertised price on the website (and I believe if you mention "VAT" - they'll throw in the shipping costs.)

To contact them you can use: sales@mobiletron.co.uk

:)

I really appreciate all of the feedback on this topic of the infamous TPMS . Positive and negative comments. Nice to hear all these different opinions .
Rob.

I really appreciate all of the feedback on this topic of the infamous TPMS . Positive and negative comments. Nice to hear all these different opinions .
Rob.

It's really what the Forum was designed for: a civil discussion of a topic of interest to an individual member (and perhaps many others), with opinions that certainly vary, but without any nasty exchange of attitudes.

And it all started with someone like you - asking a question.

Hope the information has been enlightening.

Good luck with your decisions. :thumb

Back