• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABS Brake question???

First - what model motorcycle. This is in Airheads, and no Airheads have ABS that I know of.

Then, there is no such thing as a brake system drain line. If brake fluid is leaking from a line it is from a pressurized brake line which means the brakes have failed or will fail.

Finally, assuming that is brake fluid then beware; it is corrosive and will eat paint.

Got an '02 1150RT and the brake failure light began flashing rapidly and the one under it with the triangle and exclamation mark was on constantly. I checked my brake pads and sure enough, the back ones were extremely thin (front not too bad). I ordered new pads from the boneyard and put them on this weekend. I opened the top of the front and rear brake fluid reservoirs and pushed in the pistons with my thumbs and this brought the fluid level up to near max. All seemed good but when I finished there was a tablespoon or so of brake fluid that came out of a drain line under the bike. I thought maybe the main ABS unit got too full and overflowed??? I took it for a test ride and no lights were flashing and seemed to brake perfectly. I was feeling pretty proud of myself! :dance Rode it to work this morning and again it worked perfectly but after work I noticed a few more drops under my bike. On the ride home, I used the brakes and the lights are back flashing the same way and since it's been parked there is another tablespoon or so of fluid that has leaked through the drain tube. What does that sound like to you guys? :blush

/ mod hat on /

I know this looks pretty weird...cajunbeemer originally posted this in Airheads which lead to Paul's response. Then the OP realized that it was in the wrong spot, deleted the original post, and reposted here. So, after merging things from Airheads to here, the new original post comes after Paul's input. :banghead But I didn't want his info to disappear. So, hopefully the initial reverse ordering here doesn't create too much confusion!

/ mod hat off /

Terminal Brake Line

Just had the same appear on my '04 115RT as well.
Right front brake hose, terminating on the right front caliper only.
About 2 tbsp of brakefluid dribbled on the garage floor.
My leak and dribble, begins at the down hose, just below the three way terminus, that
is next to the right front fork.
I pinpointed the breach in question by tying off small strips of paper towel in 5 different places on that down hose,
and rode around town for an hour. Then, I saw where the paper strip towel was the most wet.
Bingo! My breach is below a banjo bolt, and the top part of the down feed line to the right caliper.
Anyway, she's coming up on 9 years old, 30.5 K miles, and deserves a little TLC.
So, I'm putting on Spiegler Brakelines, aluminum, braided, http://www.spieglerusa.com/brake-line-kit-173.htm
5 lines, all perfect, no more worrying.
Gonna have my BMW guy, Chris Capobianco, in Lake Ronkonkoma, NY do the deed.
He's the only certified BMW Mechanic around me on Long Island, for miles.
He told me that to change hoses, or, flush brake fluid system from the master controller (has 6 different ports), requires that
the sides, and then tank has to come off. The controller is under the tank, get's drained and remount the new Spiegler's,
and push new 4 dot fluid through everything.
Takes about 3 hours.
That's too much for me, and so I'll leave it to the experts.
As for your source of leak, if you did any tweeking of the drain valve of either caliper you were working on, and you put
an 11 mm wrench on there and re-tightened it more than something like 8 nm, then, that may have been enough to strip
that valve nut thread causing a leak.
Your leak may be coming from there as well.
Another thing, if a mouse got under your tupperware, then, I hope he didn't chew on the brake hoses where you can't see it.
Keep us posted, and Good Luck!
Jim

Thanks Jsoque! I plan to take the plastics off Saturday and see if I can see where the leak if coming from. Yep...mine has 30K miles on it (although I've just put 2K of that on it) so I'm sure it's ready for some TLC.

No "drain valve" or "drain line" in the ABS system anywhere. Like mentioned, it could be a leak from the brake cailper bleeder nipple. That would be my first place to check and make sure the bleed nipple is seated and properlu tight, but not over-tightened to the point of distorting it. Though, in 30+ years of working on my bikes I have never seen that unless the bleed nipple is so rusted it twisted.

Back