• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding to Russia: Advice?

D

doege

I'm gearing up for a trip from Helsinki to St. Petersburg to Tallinn.
Can anyone share recent experiences on road conditions, bureaucratic hassles, maps, and anything else? Thanks.

check out the "striking viking bumming the world" thread over at advrider in the "ride reports" section. he went through there a while back, but the info might still be useful.

Russia beckons - maybe!

doege@attglobal said:
I'm gearing up for a trip from Helsinki to St. Petersburg to Tallinn.
Can anyone share recent experiences on road conditions, bureaucratic hassles, maps, and anything else? Thanks.
The website suggested by 'widebmw' above is an excellent source of material and information for your planned trip. I've checked it out frequently for my own trip ideas.

You should check out your APRIL 2005 issue of ON and read the several-page article by MOA member Dennis B. O'Neil, pages 50-54, to get an up close and personal idea of travel in the Motherland. The article may give you a different outlook on your proposed adventure on the west side of the country. Mr. O'Neil and his companion did their Trans Siberian Highway trip from East to West starting at Vladivostok. Maybe you could contact the author through the MOA office for additional information and assistance.

Good luck - and 'do svidaniya!' :thumb

riding in russia

I have a friend there right now. He left from the Isle of Man and is riding back to Beijing on his R60/100 sidehack rig. All is going well and the people are great. He is alone and seems to have had minimal troubles except a few days ago, he was stopped by a policeman and shaken down for money. The guy had an AK47 and wanted 500 USD. He kept saying no and got him down to 1000 rubles...what ever that is. Striking Viking seems to think this is the best way... You are a poor motorcyclist traveling and have minimal money. He also says there are tons of speed traps. Cops with radar guns. john shuck Beijing 1996-2000

Back