Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warranty Ran Out

Warranty Ran Out

So my factory warranty is now expired, 291 days and 36,000 miles. Good I went for the extended warranty too!
    2016 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    So my factory warranty is now expired, 291 days and 36,000 miles. Good I went for the extended warranty too!
    Sorta weird. We get a better warranty here in Canada. 3 Years, unlimited mileage. I wonder why BMW USA doesn't offer similar terms?
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    Wow! Average of 123+ miles per day. At that rate, in three years you'd hit almost 135,000 miles. I think we can see why BMW NA doesn't offer an unlimited mileage warranty.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by bobs_one View Post
    Sorta weird. We get a better warranty here in Canada. 3 Years, unlimited mileage. I wonder why BMW USA doesn't offer similar terms?
    They did....but the long distance riders got it taken away....tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many miles - BMW couldn't afford the costs.
    Last edited by Motodan; 11-01-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    MOA #46783
    2016 R1200GS

A couple questions come to mind.
    1. Did you make any claims against the warranty?
    2. Do you expect any claims in the future?
    3. What's the Extended Warranty cost?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

I wonder why BMW USA doesn't offer similar terms?
    They used to, and I wish we still had unlimited miles for 3 years.
    My first BMW had that warranty and we put 65,000 miles on it in 4 years.
    My 2nd BMW had 46,000 miles in 3 years. Can't remember if that one had unlimited miles.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I figure Canada gets unlimited miles because your riding season is so short it's hard for a lot of people to put high miles on their bikes.

The only warranty claim was at 35K because my rear TPMS sensor occasionally forgot how to communicate with the bike. It lied and said my tire was flat when it wasn't. I'd pull over, verify it was holding air just fine, and after some random period (5 minutes? an hour?) it'd reestablish connection and work again. I'd have 3 episodes in 2 days and nothing for a month. Hermy's was good to me, didn't insist on verifying the failure - which is hard when it's intermittent. Just replaced it.

I had a 2010 GoldWing that came with 3 years/unlimited miles, and an 4-year addon end-to-end warranty could be had for about $400 if you shopped carefully (so 7 years/unlimited miles). It was offered by Honda USA, not some third party, so it was the real deal. Doesn't seem as if you can get a reasonably priced one for BMWs though. Didn't they used to offer to extend the BMW warranty if you bought it with the bike? The one I got is lubricated parts only because I was worried about the rear drive, figured it'd more than pay for itself if it did let go. So 4 years/unlimited miles from last Sunday for $1300.

From what I've seen the wetheads are dead reliable so maybe BMW could be pressured into extending their warranty again since it wouldn't cost them much. OTOH maybe they would rather sell new bikes than deal with warranty claims. And if they're not losing sales because of it, why would they incur the expense?
    2016 R1200 GSA

Like you, I bought the Honda warranty. I had planned on keeping my NT700V for 100,000 miles, so it made sense. No issues in the 33,000 miles I had the bike before making the mistake of test riding a BMW.

It's like any other insurance. If you buy the extended warranty, you're betting the bike will break and it'll be costly. The manufacturer is betting the bike won't break during the time they offer the warranty.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

We get neck warmers.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Cool

Good call wbrownell9. I too got an extended warranty for my R1200RT, and used it often (2 FD's, shock/ESA problems, other parts, etc.).

My 2012 Gold Wing - invested $400 to bump the warranty out to 7 years - after 4 summers and 44k miles, only issue was the left fork seal starting to weep oil last week.

Figured it was an 'owner-service item,' like oil changing, but NO. Honda covered it under their extended protection. Spoke with some non-Honda pros at the AIMExpo 2016 trade show in Orlando last month - Honda engineers all critical components on the Wing to last 300,000 miles.

Awesome peace of mind!

Still, will never own any brand of bike without extended protection. I have always used my Extended Warranties to a $$$ amount that exceeds what I paid for the plan. Repairs are just too expensive these days.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle & High Performance Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Good call wbrownell9. I too got an extended warranty for my R1200RT, and used it often (2 FD's, shock/ESA problems, other parts, etc.).

My 2012 Gold Wing - invested $400 to bump the warranty out to 7 years - after 4 summers and 44k miles, only issue was the left fork seal starting to weep oil last week.

Figured it was an 'owner-service item,' like oil changing, but NO. Honda covered it under their extended protection. Spoke with some non-Honda pros at the AIMExpo 2016 trade show in Orlando last month - Honda engineers all critical components on the Wing to last 300,000 miles.

Awesome peace of mind!

Still, will never own any brand of bike without extended protection. I have always used my Extended Warranties to a $$$ amount that exceeds what I paid for the plan. Repairs are just too expensive these days.
    2 FD failures????? Each one at the 30k mile mark or so ????????
    Interesting that we haven't seen a FD failure thread by now as I keep reading (and experiencing) about these failures.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lvermiere View Post
    2 FD failures????? Each one at the 30k mile mark or so ????????
    Interesting that we haven't seen a FD failure thread by now as I keep reading (and experiencing) about these failures.
    FD failures still a fact of life, even with the latest iteration of the RT. I mingle with hundreds of motorcyclists annually where I instruct - still causing problems.

As for a thread - just doesn't pay to try and rally the troops anymore. Too many cheerleaders here.

Best handled thru documented complaints to the NTSB - that avenue has recently been outlined in good detail here on this Forum.

Kevin, Are you referring to your 05 RT, or do you now have a Wethead with FD issues? I don't recall hearing about WH FD failures.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Kevin, Are you referring to your 05 RT, or do you now have a Wethead with FD issues? I don't recall hearing about WH FD failures.
    My personal experience was with the '05. However, during RockerBox here at Road America, during Vintage Bike weekend, 2 Chicago area guys on wetheads complained of their FD's failing (excessive play already at the rear) and something about "slipper clutches" giving them trouble, though I must admit I don't know much about slipper clutches.

If you want current stats (though I think the WC's need more miles on them before the numbers start popping up on the radar), check with the NTSB.

Does it pay to shop around different BMW dealers for the extended warranty ? I did with a Yamaha I once owned and saved allot of money