Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Is it normal for coolant to accumulate in weephole channel?

  1. #1

    Is it normal for coolant to accumulate in weephole channel?

    I have been monitoring a coolant weephole leak since my 2016 RT starting leaking at about 600 miles. At first, drops of coolant would accumulate on the side of the motor below the weephole. I decided to not have the water pump replaced right away because many owners had coolant leaks that resolved on their own. Gradually as the miles kept adding up, the amount of leak on the side of the motor was steadily reduced. With just over 3000 miles on the bike now, it no longer leaks on the side of the motor, but there is still a small accumulation of coolant in the weephole channel that is only confirmed by putting a cotton swab a couple of inches into the channel. Is it normal to have a drop or two of coolant a couple of inches into the channel or should there be no coolant in the channel at all? Still trying to determine if the seals on the water pump have self corrected or is it almost corrected.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider47 View Post
    I have been monitoring a coolant weephole leak since my 2016 RT starting leaking at about 600 miles. At first, drops of coolant would accumulate on the side of the motor below the weephole. I decided to not have the water pump replaced right away because many owners had coolant leaks that resolved on their own. Gradually as the miles kept adding up, the amount of leak on the side of the motor was steadily reduced. With just over 3000 miles on the bike now, it no longer leaks on the side of the motor, but there is still a small accumulation of coolant in the weephole channel that is only confirmed by putting a cotton swab a couple of inches into the channel. Is it normal to have a drop or two of coolant a couple of inches into the channel or should there be no coolant in the channel at all? Still trying to determine if the seals on the water pump have self corrected or is it almost corrected.
    If the seal was sealing totally then the passage would stay dry once swabbed out. Is some seepage normal? I am not sure.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 04-24-2017 at 06:05 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #3
    Registered User fordtech50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Helena, AL
    Posts
    81
    It sounds like it's gotten better although no coolant leaking at all would be ideal obviously. How much have you had to add to resevoir? I could see living with it if it never got any worse. Maybe it will eventually stop. I would keep an eye on everything and if you have to top off use only genuine factory antifreeze and if it's not premixed mix with distilled water. A lot of coolant these days comes premixed. I definitely believe after 30 years in the business nothing beats genuine factory antifreeze no matter the brand.
    2011R1200RT- Gun Metal Grey

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    842
    Bought a new R1200R and had excessive spray from weephole. Replaced waterpump at 600 mile checkup. Good since then at 2200 miles-no weepage or spray whatever.
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

  5. #5
    DigtlArtst
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDabbs View Post
    Bought a new R1200R and had excessive spray from weephole. Replaced waterpump at 600 mile checkup. Good since then at 2200 miles-no weepage or spray whatever.
    +1

    My '16 R1200RT had several long trails of weeping over the first few hundred miles. Water pump replaced at 600 miles and has been totally dry over 3k miles. I wouldn't worry about traces on a swab stuck deep in the channel. If you see trails outside, it's not fixed IMO, although some believe coolant trails/leaking is normal.

  6. #6
    At about 19,000 miles my '14 RT rather suddenly displayed dried coolant below and behind the weep hole. The water pump was then replaced under warranty a few months before coverage ended. Last weekend I noticed coolant again on the side of the case. My dealer has offered to do the same repair again, although probably with the same results. While I was there I looked at a brand new RT, and noticed the weep hole is gone. And there's a new drain tube aft of where the weephole was. I'm not sure if the drain tube is for the water pump area, but it seems like they've changed the design of the engine case. So I'm not the only person with this problem apparently.

  7. #7
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Crwallace1 View Post
    At about 19,000 miles my '14 RT rather suddenly displayed dried coolant below and behind the weep hole. The water pump was then replaced under warranty a few months before coverage ended. Last weekend I noticed coolant again on the side of the case. My dealer has offered to do the same repair again, although probably with the same results. While I was there I looked at a brand new RT, and noticed the weep hole is gone. And there's a new drain tube aft of where the weephole was. I'm not sure if the drain tube is for the water pump area, but it seems like they've changed the design of the engine case. So I'm not the only person with this problem apparently.
    This weephole issue has been around since the wethead engine arrived. Initially, dealers replaced water pumps. After that it probably got expensive for BMW, so the "wait and see" option became the norm. I recall that below 10K miles, many wethead engines were putting out a little bit, some of which ended up in a lime-green deposit on the engine case. In my case, I was in Asheville, NC with such a deposit. The SM there told me to keep and eye on it, but it would only be a concern if any coolant accumulated on the ground with the bike on the side stand.

    I'm over 23K on my 2015, keep it serviced regularly, and have not seen any more accumulation on the outside of the case, nor any on the ground either. I'd expect your troubles are behind you, so to speak.

    By the way, welcome to the Forums!
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •