Thread: Headlight protect

Headlight protect

Any recommendations on headlight protection. There is BMW around $150, ztechnik at $79 and SW Motech at $117. Don't want the jail bars, but the ztecnik looms good - anyone use one of those?

I had clear film installed, offers limited protection, cost $100

I have Cee Bailey protectors on my FJR. I do not know what hit me that caused the damage shown below, but the protectors saved me as much as $600.

photo_zpse43fe244.jpg

Cee Bailey replaced the damaged protector free of charge.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I have an AltRider lens protector

http://www.altrider.com/altrider-hea...pid/1666/cid/2

The brackets were easy to install, and the cover itself is easy to remove/reinstall for cleaning.

Ken
    2015 R1200GS

+1 on the Cee-Baileys

Just installed mine - very easy.

Ski

I have the AltRider. Don't know why, but the ones that rely on velcro to hold them on just don't do it for me. Removable is great. The GS/GSA lens is vertical which makes it difficult to soak off bugs using a wet washcloth. Pop off the protector and submerge it in a sink (or lay it on a soaking rag on a picnic table) for 10 minutes and they wipe right off. I do need to figure out a way to keep the reflections down though. If there's plenty of traffic or streetlighting it's not an issue but on a dark lonely road I find it annoying to have a bright area at the bottom of my sightline.
    2016 R1200 GSA

I put the Xpel film on. It's very thick and you can't even tell it's on. I was impressed at the thickness and can see it taking a direct hit from a rock and being OK. $40 bucks and about 20 min to install.
    http://www.xpel.com/headlight-protec.../BMW/R/1200_RT

Hey thanks everyone. Not sure that I like the Velcro thing so the ztachnik or the AltRider lead the hunt. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    I have the AltRider. Don't know why, but the ones that rely on velcro to hold them on just don't do it for me. Removable is great. The GS/GSA lens is vertical which makes it difficult to soak off bugs using a wet washcloth. Pop off the protector and submerge it in a sink (or lay it on a soaking rag on a picnic table) for 10 minutes and they wipe right off. I do need to figure out a way to keep the reflections down though. If there's plenty of traffic or streetlighting it's not an issue but on a dark lonely road I find it annoying to have a bright area at the bottom of my sightline.
    My AltRider came with a piece of black vinyl adhesive sheeting (peel-off backing) to cover the lower wind deflector on my GS. I have not had any problems with reflections. You can download the installation instruction pdf from AltRider

http://www.altrider.com/files/produc...s%20REV6.8.pdf

Ken
    2015 R1200GS

I have the ZTechnik on my 2014 GSA. The plastic isnít as thick as I would have expected but it has worked well. It is held on by Velcro on the sides instead of the front. I was a bit worried about security when I first put it on but I have 15,000miles on it includeing a trip to Alaska and back with no issues. Once it is on you really donít see it. Recommend.

Just a note on the BMW GS headlight protector. I think it's the most aesthetic available but that's just an opinion.
    I saw on on a bike at the dealer
    I've been waiting for mine since I bought my bike in August...they have been on back order for over 5 months, and still waiting.

"...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia