• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post a picture of your Wethead

2015 rt

I screwed up so if this ends as a double post I apologize and perhaps mods can delete the earlier one. Bit of a story but been a Harley guy for 40 years, still have 2 including my 84 softail that I have owned since 86, he's awesome. Sadly as age creeps upon me my body is not handling more than a few hours at a time and twisties for any length of time kick my butt. One thing I do love is to ride and with my hours in the saddle dwindling I knew I have to do something. Since I was a kid in England I have always held a high, no very high respect for the boxer, so I thought I would start there. I have ridden Harley tourers and frankly I am not that impressed. So first thing I did was rent a R1200RT for a week. I fell in love with it. Then I began shopping tentatively due to budget then I absolutely tripped over this beaut. 2015 R1200RT. Great shape, new tires, Sargent seats, Denalis, alarm, billies, Top Case, pro lights. Had a leaky fork seal but that was a quick fix. I bought it site unseen online. Was promised great mechanical order but cosmetic issues. I was skeptical but with a 3 day no questions return and 90 day warranty. So I nervously waited delivery. Thing is I had seen the bike online and poo poo'd it two weeks sooner than when I actually bought it, going on the old adage "if it seems too good to be true" so I hesitated, mulled around asked a ton of questions, got by the wife and made my purchase. I plonked down the princely sum of $7488 for this gorgeous machine.

The cosmetic issue? well it need a bath and some Meguiars all over that was it. The black trim everywhere was a bit grey I tried the Mothers back to black, not much help. Tried the mothers heavy duty back to black, with the brush. Worked a back for over an hour all the time stressin getting the stuff on the paint. Better but not great. Figuring I had hours ahead of me doing the black trim I decided to wax the paint. Then go back to that, EUREKA MOMENT, I accidentally got some Meguiars wax on the black, WOW, it seemed to suck the stuff in so I did the wh0le bike what a difference the black showed up looking new.

We have had a couple of weekend forays, 3, and put on 2000 miles, each time I get off I feel great, my riding days are salvaged. OK sorry to go on but I am one happy camper. Forgot to mention, upon opening the topbox I was surprised to find a Schuberth (sp) C3 I think and a Shoei and a pair or BMW Motoraad gloves. Reciepts for helmets said they cost $750 and $650 respectively, nice but shame they won't see any usage here. Additions I have made already are the Ilium handle bar risers and the Werks quiet ride. Don't know what else I might need cept perhaps a Nav6. There was one on the bike a Nav5, it's in the reciepts but it did not make it to me, was not advertised as having one. So that is one for the Xmas list.

Attachments

• 20191103_031831.jpg
    20191103_031831.jpg
    989.7 KB · Views: 392
  • 3f43c90d-b17f-4edd-91e4-890f394bda4f.jpg
    3f43c90d-b17f-4edd-91e4-890f394bda4f.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
I screwed up so if this ends as a double post I apologize and perhaps mods can delete the earlier one. Bit of a story but been a Harley guy for 40 years, still have 2 including my 84 softail that I have owned since 86, he's awesome. Sadly as age creeps upon me my body is not handling more than a few hours at a time and twisties for any length of time kick my butt. One thing I do love is to ride and with my hours in the saddle dwindling I knew I have to do something. Since I was a kid in England I have always held a high, no very high respect for the boxer, so I thought I would start there. I have ridden Harley tourers and frankly I am not that impressed. So first thing I did was rent a R1200RT for a week. I fell in love with it. Then I began shopping tentatively due to budget then I absolutely tripped over this beaut. 2015 R1200RT. Great shape, new tires, Sargent seats, Denalis, alarm, billies, Top Case, pro lights. Had a leaky fork seal but that was a quick fix. I bought it site unseen online. Was promised great mechanical order but cosmetic issues. I was skeptical but with a 3 day no questions return and 90 day warranty. So I nervously waited delivery. Thing is I had seen the bike online and poo poo'd it two weeks sooner than when I actually bought it, going on the old adage "if it seems too good to be true" so I hesitated, mulled around asked a ton of questions, got by the wife and made my purchase. I plonked down the princely sum of $7488 for this gorgeous machine.

The cosmetic issue? well it need a bath and some Meguiars all over that was it. The black trim everywhere was a bit grey I tried the Mothers back to black, not much help. Tried the mothers heavy duty back to black, with the brush. Worked a back for over an hour all the time stressin getting the stuff on the paint. Better but not great. Figuring I had hours ahead of me doing the black trim I decided to wax the paint. Then go back to that, EUREKA MOMENT, I accidentally got some Meguiars wax on the black, WOW, it seemed to suck the stuff in so I did the wh0le bike what a difference the black showed up looking new.

We have had a couple of weekend forays, 3, and put on 2000 miles, each time I get off I feel great, my riding days are salvaged. OK sorry to go on but I am one happy camper. Forgot to mention, upon opening the topbox I was surprised to find a Schuberth (sp) C3 I think and a Shoei and a pair or BMW Motoraad gloves. Reciepts for helmets said they cost $750 and $650 respectively, nice but shame they won't see any usage here. Additions I have made already are the Ilium handle bar risers and the Werks quiet ride. Don't know what else I might need cept perhaps a Nav6. There was one on the bike a Nav5, it's in the reciepts but it did not make it to me, was not advertised as having one. So that is one for the Xmas list.

WOW!... what a great story and a great bike. I love hearing such positive stories about folks loving their BMW. It really is a looker! As for the NAV 6 I would go for it for sure! I love mine and the display is amazing. I can read it in bright sunlight. As far as the black plastic goes I have had great luck with a product called
Blackout which is actually made for the black Harley engine cases but works great on black plastic stuff. I have tried about every product guys have suggested and this stuff works the best. A motorcycle detailer turned me on to it. But sounds like your wax idea worked fine. What kind of wax did you use that worked so well.

Wishing you many happy miles of smiles!

WOW!... what a great story and a great bike. I love hearing such positive stories about folks loving their BMW. It really is a looker! As for the NAV 6 I would go for it for sure! I love mine and the display is amazing. I can read it in bright sunlight. As far as the black plastic goes I have had great luck with a product called
Blackout which is actually made for the black Harley engine cases but works great on black plastic stuff. I have tried about every product guys have suggested and this stuff works the best. A motorcycle detailer turned me on to it. But sounds like your wax idea worked fine. What kind of wax did you use that worked so well.

Wishing you many happy miles of smiles!

Thanks, I used Meguiars #26 I have used Meguiars for years my 84 has a 20 year old paint job that still looks terrific. The plastic really seemed to like it and I don't see how it might be harmful. Does an awesome job on paint. I tried the F11 on the Harley and I am sorry but was not impressed at all. Went right back to my wax. Yeah just sucks I got the bike right as winter is beginning but it will give me time needed to do the 12K service.

As a foot note the rear bag I spent ages treating with the Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty is now showing grey again while the rest of the bike done with the wax is still a nice black colour.

R1200RTw.jpg

https://ironhorsemotorcycles.com/Mo...ucson-AZ-3716b883-8759-46da-9299-aaf7017a89e4

Thanks, I used Meguiars #26 I have used Meguiars for years my 84 has a 20 year old paint job that still looks terrific. The plastic really seemed to like it and I don't see how it might be harmful. Does an awesome job on paint. I tried the F11 on the Harley and I am sorry but was not impressed at all. Went right back to my wax. Yeah just sucks I got the bike right as winter is beginning but it will give me time needed to do the 12K service.

As a foot note the rear bag I spent ages treating with the Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty is now showing grey again while the rest of the bike done with the wax is still a nice black colour.

Is this the product? May give it a try. As I noted I have a great product for black plastic but always looking for options. And FYI ... never had much luck with Back to Black or the other common "black plastic" products.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mir...74&keywords=meguiars+26&qid=1572835232&sr=8-1

Is this the product? May give it a try. As I noted I have a great product for black plastic but always looking for options. And FYI ... never had much luck with Back to Black or the other common "black plastic" products.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mir...74&keywords=meguiars+26&qid=1572835232&sr=8-1

Yes that looks like it, mine is just in a squeezy bottle. Hope you like the results I stumbled on it and I sure did. Please let me know your thoughts if you try it.

I have seen your pics before with the front fairing painted. What a difference, looks so good. I will do that in the future and probably the box too. I just must save me pennies for more practical items for right now but it definately on my to do list. I used to be an Arizona resident from 1984 to 2009. Got the hell outta there, so glad I did the roads around here are awesome for riding and oftentimes I don't even see a car for miles. Used to be great to ride up to Prescott and Payson and the rim. White River, Salt River canyon. Back when the road to Payson was a 2 lane highway all the way. Just too many people messed things up. Some good riding country out there I do sometimes miss the night time rides in the desert in summer. Liked it a lot before the masses arrived. Did you have a pro do the paint, do yourself, just curious on cost. It's a great idea and one I would never have thought of but man oh man what a difference it makes to the visual appeal of the bike. My wife was even impressed.

I have seen your pics before with the front fairing painted. What a difference, looks so good. I will do that in the future and probably the box too. I just must save me pennies for more practical items for right now but it definitely on my to do list.

Thanks for the comment. At least on a San Marino blue RT the "nose" does look much better color matched; do not know about other models. I had the dealer remove the nose, take it to the painter, and reinstall it. I think it was about $300, but I am not sure. I had top case lids painted, no dealer needed to be involved, and that cost $100 each.

I am glad you liked Arizona. I cannot say I do. I loved Wisconsin, but after 60 years or so there I was driven out by cold, snow, and road salt.

Last edited:
My 2019 Option 719 "Spezial" Blue Planet Metallic R1250RT. I replaced the stock tan vinyl saddles with Russell Day-Long leather saddles.

2019-paired.jpg

Last edited:
Seat?

Is that a stock seat? Looks just like a day long Russell. Please let me know. From the crate you got it? Such a fun deal! I’m really surprised the dealer let you have it in the crate!

Is that a stock seat? Looks just like a day long Russell. Please let me know. From the crate you got it? Such a fun deal! I’m really surprised the dealer let you have it in the crate!

It’s part of the trim package on the premium model. It’s called the 719 Option.

It’s part of the trim package on the premium model. It’s called the 719 Option.

I really like that brown seat on the new "719" color. Was not a fan on the dark blue "719" color but on that brown metallic it looks great.

Also, pretty sure you can pick and choose which "719" features you want ... seat, paint, wheels, etc. All not cheap but really look sharp!

I really like that brown seat on the new "719" color. Also, pretty sure you can pick and choose which "719" features you want ... seat, paint, wheels, etc. All not cheap but really look sharp!

You can pick whatever features you want on any R1250RT -- if you are willing to wait six or more months for delivery from Deutschland.

Back