• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a picture of your Wethead

New to me 2016 R1200R. Coming from an SV650 N, it's hard for me to get something fully faired... Picked this one up at the beginning of June, 7 years to the day of getting the SV. The SV had 6500 on the clock when I got it, over 81,000 when I passed it on to a friend. This R had 5600 on it when I picked it up, and the 6000 mile service completed.

Meet Sybil:
R12R-AzusaMobil.jpg

And as listed on the dealer site:
R1200R5.jpg

Any problems with it? How reliable was it over the 7 years you owned it?

Rock solid. Only issues: Steering head bearing at about 45k miles. At about 55 or 60k miles, the intake seats developed small cracks and created an intake air leak which manifested like an electrical issue (sputtering and lack of power when hot, extremely hard to diagnose.) 7 or 8 rear tires, 4 or 5 fronts. 4 or 5 chains, 3 sprocket sets. Air and oil filters. 2 sets of plugs. 1 valve adjustment. Had to replace the radiator when I high-side/flipped in a freeway pinch while splitting. Rock-solid, fun to ride, just less power, top end, weight, and "cachet" than a BMW (my friends ride Ducatis...)

And I'd been looking at the RT for 3 or 4 years, never even knew about the R until this one popped up for sale at the local dealer. :dance

Edit: Oh, it is still on the original clutch, no slipping. Pops out of 2nd sometimes (a typical Suzuki issue.)

Washington Pass, North Cascades Highway. Taken shortly after the pass opened.

2016 RT

washington_pass_bmw_r1200rt_5x7.jpg

Breaking News

Die-Hard airhead/luddite here, have fallen prey to the charms of a '18 R1200RT.
Seems to be a distant cousin of my R100S Motorsport, perhaps you can see the
family resemblance. My welcome to the 21st century.
Bob, in Vermont

Attachments

• New Not So New.JPG
    New Not So New.JPG
    548.1 KB · Views: 293
7000.6 Hours

Yesterday at Cairns Army Airfield, with 27 years of flying Army helicopters I went over 7000 hours. On the way out I saw my original helicopter memorialized at the gate. Seemed like a good time to snap a picture of Gretchen. The weather is cooler here now, the commute to work is pleasant, and I got to pick up a couple of stranded pilots and fly them back to Cairns.

The instructor pilot I picked up, Christian Fischer, a friend of mine, is a fellow motorcycle rider, a German Army exchange officer who rides a Kawasaki Verses, and joined the MOA last week.

All and all... a good day.

FD795F46-AD31-47EF-8D7A-4197F1FA85EF.jpeg

At the Quabbin

I took a mental health day from work yesterday and did a loop around the Quabbin Reservoir in Central Mass, this is my 2018 Carbon Black at the dam. Sunny, in the 70’s, almost no one on the roads, doesn’t get much better

Attachments

• B8E905B2-FE04-471A-BDD9-66E70A174CE0.jpeg
    B8E905B2-FE04-471A-BDD9-66E70A174CE0.jpeg
    599.5 KB · Views: 537
Here's my 2020 R1250RT in its natural state, returning to the dealer (5th time) to fix the leaking front Hayes calipers even after they were replaced through the recall. I get amazing mileage though.

Steve

BMW = Bavarian Motorrad Worthless - Don't Buy !!!!!! - YouTube.png

Last edited:
2018 r1200rt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7u1csxvku2pfyb/20200312_120447 (2).jpg?dl=0

This is my 2018 Mars Red Metallic RT. So far I've logged 64,000 km (40,000 mi) in 3 Canadian riding seasons. A HEX ezCAN powers Dual Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns and controls my heated vest via the wonder wheel. Also connected to the ezCAN is a Denali B6 tail/brake light and a K40 radar detector. Wired to the battery and triggered by the passenger's accessory circuit is an INNOVV K2 camera system. The bike dropped 13 pounds when I swapped the OEM exhaust for a full Remus system. A noticeable increase in mid-range torque and a bit more exhaust volume was achieved. Very happy with the Remus. R&G Racing carbon fibre valve cover protectors and a carbon fibre rear brakeline cover also added. Carbon fibre fuel injector and spark plug coil covers are coming.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7u1csxvku2pfyb/20200312_120447 (2).jpg?dl=0

This is my 2018 Mars Red Metallic RT. So far I've logged 64,000 km (40,000 mi) in 3 Canadian riding seasons. A HEX ezCAN powers Dual Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns and controls my heated vest via the wonder wheel. Also connected to the ezCAN is a Denali B6 tail/brake light and a K40 radar detector. Wired to the battery and triggered by the passenger's accessory circuit is an INNOVV K2 camera system. The bike dropped 13 pounds when I swapped the OEM exhaust for a full Remus system. A noticeable increase in mid-range torque and a bit more exhaust volume was achieved. Very happy with the Remus. R&G Racing carbon fibre valve cover protectors and a carbon fibre rear brakeline cover also added. Carbon fibre fuel injector and spark plug coil covers are coming.

Looking good :thumb

p.jpeg

OM

I mounted my Denali D2's in the same location using the inner fairing mount screws. I didn't like the idea of mounting them on on the front fender. I had a couple of plastic washers to fill the recess in the panel for the mounts to be flush.

Frank

Back