• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thoughts on F650GS

Ron Morris

2009 F650GS
Hi Everyone,

I own a 2008 RT right now which I really love, but it is almost too heavy for my old legs anymore. I have an opportunity to buy a used 2009 F650GS that3 has been fully farkeled. I do mean everything that I think Touratech and BMW had as options. I can flat foot this bike and the weight is much less than my RT. My question is, is there anything to lookout for or little "defects" that I should look for? Any other opinions on others that have done similar things? Thanks in advance!

Ron

I really like riding my F650 twin because it's SO light, responsive, and comfortable. It has plenty of power and gets great mpg also.:thumb
What I found useful to add were handguards, taller wind screen off F800GS, and a Sargent flat seat. I also added Jesse luggage but were I doing it over would probably go with Varios. I like tall gearing but I think it may be just a bit too tall so I will probably switch to a 1 tooth larger rear sprocket.

I moved from my old R-RT in 2010. when I looked at the R1200RT then...it was just too big, heavy,boulbous

I cast about for a lighter bike with the same ergonomics as the RT. I thought the F800ST would be good, but after a 60 mile test ride, I found that it just put too much weight on my wrists, ie my body was too wrapped up is a sport bike crouch.

My dealer had me sit on a F650GS. Perfect!

I farkled it out with Areoflow windscreen and lower to replicate the protection of an RT, put on Jessie bags, and a Seargent wide, flat seat and I'm loving it evan after 30k+. I just sat on a new the new water cooled R1200GS....the F650GS suits me better.
The F650GS is an outstanding backroad and dirt road touring bike. It will cruse all day at 85 with not problem, will do about 115 when pressed.

Defects/cautions.

1) It turns out that the stator lives in an environment that is too hot. There are quite a few that fail. While mine has not failed at 32k miles, I opened it up this winter and it was black and well toasted so I put in an electro sport replacement as preventative maintenance as I plan a long trip this summer.
BMW has come up with a better design but it is nearly $1k for a new stator and rotor that spins air and oil for better cooling.
after market replacement are $100 to $200 and work fine.
2) If you are heavy and carry a load you might find the rear spring rate to soft...causing to frequent bottoming. A higher rate spring can be had for under $200 and a killer, much better shock can be had from Ohlins or Wilbers (I went with wilbers)

The F650GS reminds me of my first R100RT, under 500lbs, 19 inch front wheel for good handling on dirt roads, plus it has about 10 hp more than the original RT.

have fun

Thanks guy for the quick replies. I took this bike out and rode it, loved it and all the things the guy had done to it, like Rick Meyer seat, Aeroflow windshield and lowers, BMW bags, Touratech handguards, bar risers and other numerous Touratech goodies. The bike handled great in town, I could flat foot it and when I got it on the interstate just cruised right along at 70mph. He had put a Givi top case on it that in my opinion sucked and would have to come off, plus there were just some niggling little things about this bike though that I didn't like. Hard to put my finger on, but one thing was that the bars were tweaked slightly to the left. Anyway, I think I could learn to love a 650GS and am going to keep looking. If nothing else, I may consider a new 700GS. Just more money than I wanted to spend. Thanks again for the replies and I will let you know what I come up with.

Ron

Sprung for a F650GS

Thanks again for all the replies. I was lucky and found a gentleman in SC that was wanting a nice clean RT. So we met and I traded for his 650 and cash. It is fully farkled too with Sargent seat, Madstad Engineering adjustable windshield, Jesse Panniers, BMW Vario topcase, SW Mototech engine bars, BMW hand guards, Touratech radiator guard, mirror extensions, Touratech brake fluid guard, Touratech brake pedal extension, and a whole lot of other things. I love how light and flickable it is. I think I am really going to love this bike, as it is so much lighter and easier to handle than the RT was. I know I will miss the wind protection and the smooth cruising of the RT, but it was just too heavy for my old legs. Thanks again guys!

Ron

Back